"Come See About Me" - August 2019

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I got this one much more quickly than anticipated, given my stumbles (AKA full-blown face plants on the sidewalk) in the past few months. I'm timid about trying another mega-meta guess, but hope to be restored to full recklessness by September.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

KayW wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am I'm not asking for hints, but have gleaned from posts here that I can still get this if, theoretically speaking of course, I am a musical dinosaur that never heard of this song? ;)
Sorry I didn't think of saying this before, but if Kay or anyone else unfamiliar with the genre is still working on this, my advice is: Google early and often. Since I didn't recognize the song title, I thought I'd only found a piece of the answer instead of the whole thing, and I spent some time looking fruitlessly for the rest...
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Tom Wilson wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:16 pm I'm timid about trying another mega-meta guess, but hope to be restored to full recklessness by September.
Kind of the same, especially since I never played a mega-meta before. I have a theory, but not seeing enough on that theory to try another guess.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Well, that took far too long! I spent too much time in a rabbit hole that seemed August-appropriate. But while on a walk tonight with my wife and our dog I idly wondered “what if I did this?” Then I got back, picked up the puzzle...and almost forgot the thought. Classic case of solving by sneaking up on it.

Now listening to the whole album. I don’t think it gives anything away to say this one reminds me of the cusp of college and law school. Can’t wait to hear Pete’s cover.

Oh, and I’m with the Muggles who don’t think this month advances the Mega meta solving cause much. Congrats to TMart for solving it!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

At the top of the MMMM website, I’m seeing a banner that says, “Sign up now and get a free bonus meta-puzzle.” Anyone know what that is? Something new, or one we’ve seen? I’m already signed up, but if it is a new one, I could get a throwaway email or try re-signing up my current one.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Barbara, we are here for an intervention. We all are on your side.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Laura M wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am I'm not asking for hints, but have gleaned from posts here that I can still get this if, theoretically speaking of course, I am a musical dinosaur that never heard of this song? ;)
Sorry I didn't think of saying this before, but if Kay or anyone else unfamiliar with the genre is still working on this, my advice is: Google early and often. Since I didn't recognize the song title, I thought I'd only found a piece of the answer instead of the whole thing, and I spent some time looking fruitlessly for the rest...
Laura thank you but I think on this one I am beyond help :? I have been googling everything I can think of. Which admittedly is not much. I think this meta is a case of if you see it you see it and if you don't you don't. And so far I don't. I think I'm going to reprint and rework the grid; that sometimes helps me notice things in plain sight that I've overlooked.....
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Wow, still stuck on this one. Feel like I haven't even gotten a toehold in yet.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 pm At the top of the MMMM website, I’m seeing a banner that says, “Sign up now and get a free bonus meta-puzzle.” Anyone know what that is? Something new, or one we’ve seen? I’m already signed up, but if it is a new one, I could get a throwaway email or try re-signing up my current one.
I put my email in there just to see what happens! (Heidi)
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

DOH!!!!! Finally saw it. Funny how the brain works - or doesn't. No idea why this one took so long. And no I never heard of this song title, and when I played a video I did not recognize it. Tho I do know a few other songs by this alternative rock entity.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

While browsing lists of rock songs, I came across one that would be perfect for the mega meta. Don't really think it's right, but since I've already lost two points to wrong guesses, I might take the what-the-heck attitude and submit it anyway just for fun. Hope I remember in January to tell you all about it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:59 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 pm At the top of the MMMM website, I’m seeing a banner that says, “Sign up now and get a free bonus meta-puzzle.” Anyone know what that is? Something new, or one we’ve seen? I’m already signed up, but if it is a new one, I could get a throwaway email or try re-signing up my current one.
So?? What happened? Get anything new?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm
Nope! (Heidi)
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:00 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Nope! (Heidi)
Oh, well. Thanks for being the guinea pig.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I got the mega meta!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 pm I got the mega meta!
Wow! Congratulations!!
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

The meta sunset on this one too (11PM EDT), so will note the answer was Green Day's "Basket Case" as indicated by 56A and the hint to "Come See About Me", where "ME" appears in the grid (34A), the song is "about" or around "ME".