"Where Is It?" - October 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Submitted an incorrect answer. Interested in seeing what is accepted.

EDIT: 2:20 PM ET, Friday. The more I think about this, the more I see the intended answer as an unnecessary PAGEANT. The only reason some have solved is that some very accomplished, meta-solving stalwarts had submitted an "incorrect" answer. I can see Pete changing what he'll accept as correct.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Got it. I had what I thought was the perfect answer, but was nudged to look further. Finally found the answer using the correct mechanism. Would have saved myself a lot of Googling, if I had seen the mechanism sooner.
Cindy Heisler
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Only 41 people having solved it so far and while I've noticed a couple of curious things, I'm getting nowhere.

I'm giving up on this one. Maybe I'll spend some time trying to figure out the mega. Congrats to those who have solved it!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I thought I had something, but ... nope. I guess it was just a Hail Mary while blindfolded, with an Alley Oop flourish. I'll just have to be content with such grace and artistry, since my answer didn't cut it.
jbird

Post by jbird »

Hi All, newbie here on the forums. I solved last month's puzzle for the first time on MMM. Thought that would give me a boost but this month's seems to be a bit trickier. I'm going to work a few of my methods a little more but I might be coming back for a nudge.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I was about to throw in the towel but a helpful muggle pointed me back to something I had noticed but dismissed. From there it was a fun quick trip to the solution. But I completely missed the alternate answer some have mentioned and will look forward to hearing what the road not taken was!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:30 pm I believe that I have it and can see where some may not have worked it all the way through. Gonna sit on it a while before submitting.
Confirmed and on the board. I have an idea as to what the alternate (incorrect) answer may be or could have been.

I think that many are making this harder than they need to.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On the board with help. And certainly forewarned here to confirm ANY answer before submitting.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
balshetzer

Post by balshetzer »

I would love a nudge on this puzzle.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Ah, this one is gonna bother me for a while. I got the right answer, but didn't like it (and didn't do further research, which, had I done so, I would have submitted it in a second), so I submitted what I thought was a better answer. It wasn't... I would've been #4. But sorry, guys; not gonna give any nudges... most of the early solvers deserve to be in rarified air.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Utterly stuck and could use a nudge. Feels like I've gone down many rabbit holes.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Nice Dan voluntarily came out of meta retirement to consult with me on this one! If all collaborations could be like this, Iโ€™d be more open to them! Will write more after the solution.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Got it! Thanks for confirming, Meg.
matt79

Post by matt79 »

Iโ€™d appreciate a gentle starter nudge. I see nothing here, except one entry that could be an opening.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

I think I may have something, but would be interested in collaborating. Anyone?
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
balkmajm

Post by balkmajm »

Hi all, I am looking for a nudge on this one. I already submitted incorrectly. Could someone message me and I could share what I've tried so far?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Good news - I found something! It can't possibly be a coincidence...

Bad news - it doesn't seem to lead to the meta answer, but wait...

Good news - I just got the mega meta! Wow, how did I not see this til now? How does Pete do this!

Bad news - this means I still have nothing for the current puzzle
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm now on the board at #58, but only with a hearty nudge from Wendy Walker [thank you!]. I would never have gotten this in a million years without being thwacked on the head with a 2x4 like that. Even with the confirmation, I still feel like I'm missing something - it's hard to see how one was supposed to see the mechanism without some further hint somewhere.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Solved. Grateful for the kind solver that confirmed my answer.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I got the answer after a nudge. Not submitting as I wasnโ€™t close, and Iโ€™d never have found it - too much I donโ€™t know.

Iโ€™ll be curious to hear tomorrow what the other answer is.