"2 State the Obvious" - August 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Slight pause while I adjust my accoutrements...

Had an idea during tonight's Zoom Call. (No, nobody gave me a hint nor was anything said that gave me a new thought. I had it on my mind.) I've come to an answer, but I don't know if I "like it" like it, yet. Will sleep on it.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got it. On the board. Not a fan. The meta's fine, but...
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Am pretty sure I submitted the correct answer, but not yet on the board. Anyone on the board care to validate my answer?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Hector wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:51 pm Al with another Sistine performance at #2.

Initially I thought there was more than one possible answer, with one much more natural, but now I see that I was wrong about that.
Care to share with me how you justified one possibility over the other? I submitted the wrong one, but donโ€™t see anything that would sway me either way.
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

Safely ashore. Good puzzle by Pete, as always.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Solved and submitted (with appreciation for guidance after a stroll into the woods). Excellent puzzle as usual!
-Tamara
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'm on the board.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm now on board with some confirmation that I was on the right track and an idea where to go next.

How to complete the puzzle wasn't as obvious to me, but I should have noticed it sooner.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:09 am Am pretty sure I submitted the correct answer, but not yet on the board. Anyone on the board care to validate my answer?
Are you on the board yet? has anyone helped you? (are you "Mike W"?)
I could help. (my timestamp on pmxwords,com is 08/03 11:09pm, if you want to check)
PM me what you have so far,
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the board!
Heidi
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

A bit slow out of the blocks, but on the board nudge-free!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved and on the board. This was a fun one - and I only explored one small rabbit hole!
Cindy Heisler
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I was happy as soon as I printed this one because I saw that the prompt was "a musician in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame". Yay! If it's someone I've never heard of, no problem, I don't have to guess how to phrase my google search and hope it turns up in what google thinks I care about, I can just get a list and look there.

Solved the grid with only one error. Saw the meta mechanism quickly, and found the answer. On the leaderboard now. (We really need a good metaphor for MMMM. Resolved the chord? Played the coda? Rang the bell? Took a bow? Some kind of Monkees or Partridge Family reference? Gotta be something good out there.)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 pm I was happy as soon as I printed this one because I saw that the prompt was "a musician in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame". Yay! If it's someone I've never heard of, no problem, I don't have to guess how to phrase my google search and hope it turns up in what google thinks I care about, I can just get a list and look there.

Solved the grid with only one error. Saw the meta mechanism quickly, and found the answer. On the leaderboard now. (We really need a good metaphor for MMMM. Resolved the chord? Played the coda? Rang the bell? Took a bow? Some kind of Monkees or Partridge Family reference? Gotta be something good out there.)
Ready for my encore? Strike up the band?
Heidi
Hector

Post by Hector »

The generously embodied woman has sung?
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Partridge Family reference.....On the bus
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 pm Slight pause while I adjust my accoutrements...

Had an idea during tonight's Zoom Call. (No, nobody gave me a hint nor was anything said that gave me a new thought. I had it on my mind.) I've come to an answer, but I don't know if I "like it" like it, yet. Will sleep on it.
The idea panned-out, kind of, sort of, but was poorly developed & led to an inelegant answer that fit the criteria, if iffy. Had to walk away for 24 hours to clear my mind of it & worked out the correct (I hope) submission.

The bus has stopped & I have one foot on its bottom step...
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:11 am
Hector wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:51 pm Al with another Sistine performance at #2.

Initially I thought there was more than one possible answer, with one much more natural, but now I see that I was wrong about that.
Care to share with me how you justified one possibility over the other? I submitted the wrong one, but donโ€™t see anything that would sway me either way.
I am pretty sure there are 2 valid answers. I found the more obscure one first. I will likely submit the less obscure one.
Hector

Post by Hector »

billkatz wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:47 pm
ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:11 am

I am pretty sure there are 2 valid answers. I found the more obscure one first. I will likely submit the less obscure one.
Cool. I'd love to hear about the more obscure one by PM if you don't mind!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Seemed unambiguous to me.
-Tamara