"Make It Count" - July 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
RPardoe

"Make It Count" - July 2021

Post by RPardoe »

The meta for this puzzle is a musical movement.

Subscribe & send in your answer to the meta before 11pm ET Sunday, July 11, at pmxwords.com.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Finished early this time. These continue to be excellent.
-Tamara
Hector

Post by Hector »

Cool meta. I had the answer early on but didn't realize that it was the answer until google helped me out. A welcome chance to learn something about musical movements.
TMart

Post by TMart »

That was a fun one.
stmv

Post by stmv »

Quite a cool meta. As usual, in hindsight I feel like I should have seen it much faster than I did, but I'm still pretty happy to be #21. I initially got distracted by a seductive rabbit hole that led to a dead end, but then it snapped into place.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I like to be educated and this one taught me a few new things. Peter’s puzzles are always very enjoyable.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Finished! I think this might be the first MMMM I've solved after a few months of trying. Music after the mid-1850s or so is *not* my area of expertise.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Got the July meta and the red herring! Now to crack the mega...
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This year’s streak is still going. Haven’t tried the mega or RH yet though.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I'm confident that I have the first couple of steps for the mega, but I can't seem to make the leap to an answer. So frustrating!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Leslie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:28 pm I'm confident that I have the first couple of steps for the mega, but I can't seem to make the leap to an answer. So frustrating!
I am right there with you. Trying to make it count, but not yet all the way to bright.
KayW

Post by KayW »

ky-mike wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:30 pm
Leslie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:28 pm I'm confident that I have the first couple of steps for the mega, but I can't seem to make the leap to an answer. So frustrating!
I am right there with you. Trying to make it count, but not yet all the way to bright.
Me three. But who's counting? ;) Not me.. yet.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On the board but feeling old...
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

ky-mike wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:30 pm
I was also stuck in limbo on this month’s meta, but managed to get out of it pretty quickly. But I really can’t figure out where to go next on the mega, though I feel like I’m agonizingly close. (Do we have a boat/shore-type metaphor for MMMM?)

Update: Post-enlightenment struck and I finally got the mega meta!
Last edited by Leslie on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I am so lucky; the correct strategy was the first thing I thought of!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Meg

Post by Meg »

On the board. Watching out for Elsa.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it!

I’ll probably always remember this one because I solved it on my phone while waiting over two hours in my car to be admitted to a Walk-in Clinic (they should change the name!) to have them tell me, “Yep, you broke the proximal bone in your left pinky finger” by taking a tumble while on my health walk this morning while away on a week’s vacation.

Argh!!!

No worries, really. It only hurts when I forget about it and grab at something with my left hand, and they don’t want me to have it reset for a week or more anyway.

Have fun, all!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On the board.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:15 pm Got it!

I’ll probably always remember this one because I solved it on my phone while waiting over two hours in my car to be admitted to a Walk-in Clinic (they should change the name!) to have them tell me, “Yep, you broke the proximal bone in your left pinky finger” by taking a tumble while on my health walk this morning while away on a week’s vacation.

Argh!!!

No worries, really. It only hurts when I forget about it and grab at something with my left hand, and they don’t want me to have it reset for a week or more anyway.

Have fun, all!
Pinky? PINKY? Man up, tape it to your fourth finger and get back in the game! 😉