"Make It Count" - July 2021

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Pending confirmation, but pretty sure I’ve got this one solved. :)

Hooray! Confirmed!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

One of my favorites this year. Bravissimo, Pete!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Solved! Nothing a good night's sleep couldn't dislodge!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

On the board.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On the board.

One thing I'll say about Pete's puzzles, I usually learn something along the way. But I'll say no more til post-deadline :shushing_face:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Not familiar with the meta movement. Had the answer sitting in front of me about an hour after the puzzle came out, but didn't realize it until I got back into it this evening. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:38 pm Not familiar with the meta movement. Had the answer sitting in front of me about an hour after the puzzle came out, but didn't realize it until I got back into it this evening. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.
My experience exactly. It was staring at me for what seemed like hours.
Heidi
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Got it! Nice one
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I too had to be educated. I had the right strategy, but my limited cultural knowledge prevented me from seeing what I had.
Jay
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Didn't see this right away, but it finally came to me. Nice construction and I learned something new. Safely on shore. (Now if I could only see the WSJ meta...)
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Sometimes you see it and you don’t see it.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

Ugh. I think I may need to ask for a hint-let.
I found something, but it's not going anywhere.

I'll let it percolate a little longer ...
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Like others, I had it long before I realized it. Learned something new, as well. Happy to have solved this meta and the Red Herring!!
Cindy Heisler
burak

Post by burak »

I figured out the first step quite fast, and reading other's comments I might even have the answer already but I just can't see it.

What's throwing me off is the word "movement". In music, movement can mean a ton of different things. Don't even know what to Google for.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

Finally! Thanks to a nudge.
I was super close, but one of the pieces was a incorrectly parsed, so unsolvable.
burak

Post by burak »

Now the comments above make sense.

I have RIOTGRRRL written down in five minutes or so but I dismissed it as gibberish, and tried to find a different answer for hours. Argh, this one hurts.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Wow... I did not finish this one but was not expecting that answer. Since I didn't submit I couldn't express my amazement that IRONORE wasn't clued toward "the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Guessing this is one where my age was a big help in solving- I feel older or younger solvers may not have immediately realized the answer.
KayW

Post by KayW »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:25 pm Guessing this is one where my age was a big help in solving- I feel older or younger solvers may not have immediately realized the answer.
I can speak for this older solver. I had the answer spelled out pretty quickly but dismissed it as pure gibberish. Well, to be perfectly honest I had RITOGRRRL written out because apparently I can't even count this week. But I finally consulted the wonderfully helpful @Wendy Walker, who told me to look at what I had right in front of me. And wonder of wonders, when I typed RITOGRRRL into google, it helpfully prompted RIOT GRRRL BANDS. :woman_facepalming:

Never heard of it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.