#677 - “Lofty Aspirations”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

I too have been searching for the second step for a few days. Gentle nudge if anyone is around please - I'll let you know what I've got.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Oh for.... As others have said, I was trying to make that way too complicated. I was trying everything BUT. It took a much-appreciated assist from @Wendy Walker to apply the one variation I hadn’t yet tried. To quote @sharkicicles , “brains are weird.” Mine in particular, these days.

In hindsight, a very nice mechanism.

The kicker: after submitting, I received a message that “submissions are now closed.” Hope Matt adjusts for the extended deadline.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Please allow me to do this: Cry, man, netly.

Sheesh. So many hours wasted. It really is that simple. "Doy!"
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm overthinking what has to be right in front of me. I have 75 minutes, haha. Light nudge, anyone?
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Sign me up for the Nudge Boat so I can get off the Love Boat. Oh, wait, that the WSJ. How about:

I'm down here on the planet wearing this red shirt and the clock is ticking. Can someone give me a blue or yellow shirt so I can get the hell out of here? I'm in the same place as all the other red shirts who have been posting.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

I have what I think are a LOT of steps along what I can only assume is the correct path, but would love a nudge to what is (hopefully) the final one, if anyone is willing.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Finally aboard, kicking and screaming. Thanks to MikeyG and Cindy. Someone launder this red shirt. It stinks.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

All about that #buzzerbeaterlife. Wow.

Edit: Shout-out to Joe and Tony for the nudges and camaraderie. My mind was so locked-in to one thing there was no way it was going to see the other.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

This was a "never" for me. Glad I didn't spent time on it.
ajk

Post by ajk »

I got it via anagramming right off the bat, but the implied space travel made me nervous enough about it that I didn't submit until I finally saw the two groups and got redirected to the answer I already had. :)

Edit: I see that Matt is suggesting NZ or Antartica as fitting the description poetically, which, ok I guess.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

Do I win the convoluted non-solution award this week?

This is the actual text of assumptions and rabbit holes I sent to poor @Wendy Walker for an eleventh-hour confirmation/nudge. What patience she had to read through that mess!! Observation #12 was the first thing I tried and in my mind was such a throw-away I almost forgot to include it in my list! :lol: :roll:

TL/DR: look at #12 below.

Facts:
This week's 12-letter answer describes where some creatures can go and others cannot.

111A. SKY - the clue is contained within the title "Where some creatures can go"

12 grid entries contain birds within them. 6 flying birds:
fraTERNity
aSWAN
reaDOVEr
otHERONe
fingerbOWL
fauxHAWK
6 flightless birds:
wiKIWIki
oveRHEAted
rEMUs
lOSTRICHes
DODOma
saMOAn

Assumptions/rabbit holes:

1. Each bird entry contributes 1 letter to 12-letter answer directly or indirectly.
2. I could also find (W)REN peeking out of 29A RENdered, but no other partials.
3. 109a Polar explorer BYRD a mis-spelling of BIRD. Turn other words into homonyms? (e.g. TERN -> TURN)
4. There are more than 12 geographic references in the clues, I could tie only some of them to bird native habitats (mainly the flightless ones). E.g. KIWI -> New Zealand
5. I also tried to find other things relating to the birds in the clues. Nada.
6. 74D MASHUPS - try to combine pairs of birds. TERN-KIWI (turn-key) MOA-HAWK.
7. Find all or part of bird words in other entries or clues - nope. (e.g. MOA -> MOrAlism, lOSTRICHes/SITupfOR)
8. Construct other geographic entries out of birds - e.g kittyHAWK.
9. SKY/LOFTY (from title) - use letters above (or perhaps below, for the flightless birds) the bird entries. Gibberish.
10. The bird words are not all symmetrical entries within grid, but looking at the corresponding symmetrical entries yields gibberish. e.g. fraTERNity => itaLICIzes)
11. A few of the birds and/or other entries seem to pair either as opposites (HAWK/DOVE, OWL/DODO) or similarities (KIWI/ACAI, OSTRICH/BEEF). But it's a stretch, it's not consistent, and worse - it condenses the 12 to 6.
12. oh and just to state the "obvious", I tried the first letters of each of the birds. The first letters of the flying, last of the flightless. Vice versa. First letters of related clues. All gibberish.
Last edited by KayW on Wed May 26, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

ajk wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm I got it via anagramming right off the bat, but the implied space travel made me nervous enough about it that I didn't submit until I finally saw the two groups and got redirected to the answer I already had. :)

Edit: I see that Matt is suggesting NZ or Antartica as fitting the description poetically, which, ok I guess.
Yes. after all the grief I went through identifying flying and non-flying birds and their lands of origin, I was happy to see that the distinction played a part in the solution, and I appreciated the elegance of the flying birds contributing to FAR-OFF and the non-flying to WORLDS.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I truly was in the FAR-OFF WORLDS of the obtuse this week. I've said before that typing up my thoughts to ask for help sometimes helps me organize my thoughts and see the answer for myself. I should have listened to me this week!

First, I carelessly omitted SWAN from the list I sent to Wendy. But had I bothered to count to six to see my omission and then looked more closely at my list, the answer practically leaps off the page to bite me:
KayW wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:33 pm
12 grid entries contain birds within them. 6 flying birds:
fraTERNity
( aSWAN <--oops! :oops: )
reaDOVEr
otHERONe
fingerbOWL
fauxHAWK
6 flightless birds:
wiKIWIki
oveRHEAted
rEMUs
lOSTRICHes
DODOma
saMOAn
Even after solving and submitting, I completely failed to notice this until someone else pointed it out to me :roll:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

KayW wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:33 pm
12. oh and just to state the "obvious", I tried the first letters of each of the birds. The first letters of the flying, last of the flightless. Vice versa. First letters of related clues. All gibberish.
This was me - - tried everything BUT the letters of the original grid answers. . . . .
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I kicked myself for missing this one. Oh well, I learned a lot about birds while trying to solve.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

I didn't get the answer.  Like KayW, I visited way too many rabbit holes.  I'd found the 6 birds of each type and had written them out separately, but I hadn't included the words that contained them.  I tried various ways of going upwards, checking scientific/family names, etc. I shared KayW's 74D MASHUPS warren for quite a while, especially with "D_OVERHEAd" sitting on the same row. 

Then I found my way to a den that I just couldn't stay away from.  REHAB was an anagram of RHEA + B.'. Then I found OWL+T coming down at an angle.  From there, it got weirder (and harder to find) like HAWK+S inside ASKWHy. Now, I've done these puzzles for WAY too long to have kept going in this direction, since anagrams plus a letter plus various extra letters was really an unlikely mechanism, and I would never fully find OSTRICH. 

Still, in a last ditch attempt while waiting to see the eclipse last night here in Idaho I went back to it and kept finding more and more partials, stalling out at 8 of them.  But if I ignored the two that spanned over a black square, EHs-RONalds and eD_OVEr (which additionaly was ambiguous as to which adjacent letter to choose), then there were exactly 6 cases, three flighted, three flightless, shown in the grid below. .
So, could we use those 6 added letters (come on now, stop!) and oh, maybe the first letters of the bird's name, and then anagram them all (you KNOW Matt wouldn't do that!)  Well just check:
Hawk + S   
Tern   + A
Owl    + T
Rhea  + B
Emu   + R
Moa    + D

Earth?  Star?  "To the __"?  Could it actually be something?  Nope, of course. 

And the skies were cloudy here at 4 am as it turned out.

I'm including this grid as another example of how often accidental/coincidental confounders can pop up in these puzzles.  I know better, but the sheer number still surprises me.
MGWCC667.jpg

Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ugh. Farewell, my hard-won streak of 8. I didn't see MOA, I'd never heard of that bird and it didn't come up in Googling flightless birds. (To be fair I didn't specifically look for extinct flightless birds, although I should have considering DODO.) Instead, I decided that BEE (52A) must count as a flying creature, although the odd-one-outness did nag at me. That mistake messed up all of the letter sorting and anagramming I tried to do just enough that I couldn't see the true path. So I was looking everywhere for another step and didn't find one.

I suspect that Matt probably really wanted to work PENGUIN into this puzzle instead of MOA, but was rightfully stymied :-) Anyway, I await Friday's week 4 to try to redeem myself. (Although my aspirations for that are not very lofty!)
burak

Post by burak »

I got a really late start to this, but I quickly noticed the birds. However, I then immediately opened the Wikipedia page for flightless birds and lo and behold, there are flightless doves, herons and owls! Because I had that info implanted in my brain, I didn't think of separating the birds into two classes and wouldn't have even if I had another week to solve it :/
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I needed a kick in the shins (politely called a nudge) to remind me that not all birds fly. What? Of course birds fly. That’s why they have wings. That’s why they’re called birds.

Once I had mastered that concept and separated them into two teams, it was a quick flight (or walk) to the finish.
MGWCC 5-21.jpg
Last edited by Bird Lives on Thu May 27, 2021 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Hector

Post by Hector »

This critter found me on a walk soon after solving.
2021-05-22.jpg