#677 - “Lofty Aspirations”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Hector wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:39 am This critter found me on a walk soon after solving.

2021-05-22.jpg
At first I thought it was going to be like one of those books from my childhood: Can you find twelve birds i this picture?
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:39 am This critter found me on a walk soon after solving.
Birds of prey know they're cool.

This is the first year in several that I don't have a mating pair of Barred Owls in my back yard.

Missing their calls in the night: Who cooks for you? Who cooks for YOU all...? Spotting them takes patience, but worth the effort.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

2021-05-22.jpg
Superbowl.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So if I were making this puzzle (after stealing the idea from Matt and then magically knowing how to actually make a crossword:) I'd have had the theme answers going down rather than across. And I'd have used the first/top/sky letter for the flying birds and the last/bottom/ground letter for the non-flying birds. All the same entries except put the EMU in DEMURRAL, then rearrange the non-flyers so their last letters spell ISLAND.