#677 - “Lofty Aspirations”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

MamaE wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:14 pm Beam me up, pending confirmation - but quite confident! I feel like I am starting to get the hang of these! :)
Oh, no... You didn't just actually say that :shock:
Quick, you have time to take it back before week 4 comes out!!
:D
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

joequavis wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 am
MamaE wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:14 pm Beam me up, pending confirmation - but quite confident! I feel like I am starting to get the hang of these! :)
:oops:
:lol: Fair enough! I’m still relatively new at this so I’m happy I’m beginning to solve more of them nudge free 🙂 BUT I’m sure next week will serve me up a big old slice of humble pie!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

MamaE wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:40 am
joequavis wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 am
:oops:
:lol: Fair enough! I’m still relatively new at this so I’m happy I’m beginning to solve more of them nudge free 🙂 BUT I’m sure next week will serve me up a big old slice of humble pie!
All kidding aside, you're doing great and have caught on much quicker than I did!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I have Lofty Aspirations I'll get this one, but I've only the first step yet! Need to chew on how to proceed. As always, I post here because at least three times before, that helped remove the scales from the eyes more rapidly, it has seemed!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
docison

Post by docison »

joequavis wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:45 pm Requesting beam up. Was hoping the mechanism was going to be slightly different than it ended up being, but that probably would have been a very tough implementation.
Joe, I also was expecting / hoping for a slightly different mechanism once I started to unravel it. If we are thinking of the same approach, agree it would have been quite a feat to construct and solve!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Beam me up.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Waiting for confirmation, but strong suspicion I'm getting beamed up.

Confirmed beaming was successful, although it dropped my at Isaac's bar, not the beach.....damn time space continuum.
Last edited by jhseeman on Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Required some experimentation, but the end result yielded a most impressive construction.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

I spent too long doing the wrong things. However, I know a lot more trivia than I did.
Beaming up.
Confirmed
Last edited by dudeski on Sun May 23, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got the first step almost immediately, but nothing since. At least I have until Wednesday. :)
EDIT: OK, I finally saw something else that seems like it can't be a coincidence. But no clue what to do with it. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved with a strong click. Venturing to say I will beamed aboard.

Edit: Boarding Confirmed

The more I look at this puzzle the more I appreciate it.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sun May 23, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beam me up! Like others, I saw the first step quickly, but it took a while to find the pointer to the next step and a few wrong paths before getting all the way to the answer.

If I were writing this puzzle, I'd have done it slightly differently - which is actually a pretty silly thing to say considering I know nothing about actually making puzzles, not even enough to know if my idea is possible. But it does show how much these get into my head.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well now, that feels better! I had the answer all along, I was just unable to follow directions (wait, wasn't that last week) or at least follow my own directions to myself. When I asked another known solver where I was going wrong they told me that I wasn't but I probably had made a transcription error. Now granted there are those who say the same thing about my entire DNA process, that somewhere along the line there were transcription errors and I got some very sad pairs as a result.

Wouldn't you know it people making comments about my pair of blue genes!

Beam me up please, I am not confirmed but I am pretty sure I hit the mark (sorry Mark).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

We weren’t able to get to the puzzle until today, and saw step one pretty quickly. We’ve gotten the first part, and maybe the second step (if it’s even something you need to do?), and now figuring out where to go next. Isaac, might you mix me another Bloody Mary, good sir? I’ll be here a bit longer but feel like the next “aha” isn’t too lofty of an aspiration!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Happy to get this one after my utter failure last week. Also, really fun to solve.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, last week was a DNF, I didn't even guess.

Scott - one to beam up, 100% on this one.

If you aren't 100%, keep looking and you'll get there.

Confirmed at #163.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, beam me up. 8-)

Turns out I had it almost from the start, but didn't feel confident about it and decided it was just coincidence. It wasn't until I worked through the process properly and came back to the same thing that I felt ok submitting, although still with more trepidation than usual.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Domini

Post by Domini »

Would anyone be willing to answer a simple yes/no question in a PM? I am fairly confident I have the right answer, but I may be missing one final step. I want to make sure I’m not before submitting. Thanks!!

I really liked this puzzle! Quite elegant (so far….)