#677 - “Lofty Aspirations”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, so 153, I'll take it. I am mad at myself because I had this solved looooong ago except for a stupid clerical error/ However, 153 on a week 3 MG is fine with me, actually ANY number on a week 3 MG puzzle is AOK since I have had several "thanks for playing" results in the past. I may be far from an honorable mention, but I am also now far from a dishonorable discharge.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Domini

Post by Domini »

Domini wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:40 pm Would anyone be willing to answer a simple yes/no question in a PM? I am fairly confident I have the right answer, but I may be missing one final step. I want to make sure I’m not before submitting. Thanks!!

I really liked this puzzle! Quite elegant (so far….)
Thanks to those who confirmed I had the final answer and was done. My overthinking tripping me up again. Still think it’s quite an elegant meta though.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I have finished step #1 which was fun. Now to figure out the next step.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I think I have the first step completed, but I don’t really have until Wednesday to finish this. I’ll be on the road for two days starting early tomorrow morning. If someone could point me in the right direction to the next step, I’d really appreciate it!

Edit: I’ve been beamed up with a couple of kindly nudges!
Last edited by Jeremy Smith on Mon May 24, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Should be on the leaderboard soon. I had the answer early on, but not the click that I needed. I now have that click!

Edit - Confirmed
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

I have step one. Have spent over 24 hours trying various methods for step two. I may need a nudge. Would anyone be open to reading what I've been trying?

EDIT--Received a nice response. Plugging away again . . .
Last edited by Sara Dacus on Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I definitely have step one, and have tried a few step twos that have lead nowhere. Can i bounce a question off one of our esteemed solvers?

P. S. We have at least one muggle who has a distinct advantage, but I'm not naming names! 😉
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

After sharing notes, I got by with a little help from my friend (thanks, Mike!). We had the right path — the step I questioned was right — but that final “aha” was tricky (for me).. Although, thinking about it more, makes total sense. I do think this is gettable, so if you’re still at it, keep going. Well done as usual, Mr. Gaffney!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Finally. Got it.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I had the first step early on, but it took me what seemed like forever, to get the next step. But now, happy to be on the leaderboard! Very nice "aha" moment.
Cindy Heisler
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Beamed on up. Finally!! There was what felt like a goldmine of possibilities where I was laboring for days, to no avail. Didn’t help that 1/12 of the formula was completely unfamiliar. A corrective nudge from Brenner did the trick!
The other Wendy. :roll:
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

The first step came easily but now I am out of ideas. My husband even tried to help me. He actually came up with something. It’s not correct but it was sweet that he tried. Normally he has no patience for these but will listen to me tell him about my latest solve. ☺️
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed up with a nudge.
How does he do it?
Jay
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Can't find the hook for step 2. I'm sure I'm staring right at it.

Edit: I was staring right at it. Go figure!
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Tue May 25, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm not sure which is more frustrating: to have absolutely no clue at all (TOP HAT, ZAIRE) or to feel like you're literally almost right there but things are just not dropping. The latter is me right now! We'll see what happens. Kudos who got this right away and those that are still trickling in! Looking around 325-ish, perhaps (I always have to count the buzzer-beater surge!!).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
BackHomeInKY

Post by BackHomeInKY »

Glad I’ve got until Wednesday. Step 1 came easily. Brain went dormant after that.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I have been trying to move past step one since Saturday. I can’t imagine where to look next. Glad we have an extra day, or am I?
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I was stuck on step 1 forever as well, but finally got beamed up. I definitely needed that extra day.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MikeyG wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:45 pm I'm not sure which is more frustrating: to have absolutely no clue at all (TOP HAT, ZAIRE) or to feel like you're literally almost right there but things are just not dropping. The latter is me right now! We'll see what happens. Kudos who got this right away and those that are still trickling in! Looking around 325-ish, perhaps (I always have to count the buzzer-beater surge!!).
For me, it's more frustrating to have no clue at all. Which is basically most weeks...
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

I certainly have step 1. And have a strong suspicion of step 2 (or maybe 1.5). And a couple of odd bits and pieces that seem to tie into things but I'm not sure how. A gentle nudge would be quite appreciated -- I'll tell you where I'm at and perhaps you can nudge me in the right direction...