#676 - "Man Seeking Woman"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

JennyByrd wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 pm Have submitted. Waiting on confirmation.
I have transported to the bad planet full of scary monsters, wearing a red shirt. ( and I was pretty sure I saw the thing that I had seen the confirmation that led to the correct pick between the two possible answers, but apparently it wasn’t the right thing).

Looking forward to the solution next week. Have a great rest of weekend everyone!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Dplass wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am
DrTom wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 am

Cmon, have a heart.
When it comes to bridge I'm a dummy, I'm going to pass on this and cross the next message when I come to it
Naw, I'm sure you're a diamond in the rough.
I was the dummy who tried to do two things at once and almost did neither. I got slammed, and it was not at all grand. Very ruff day indeed. My partner wanted to :clubs: me.
[/quote]
Oh well, what are you Goren to do...at least she didn't take a contract out on you.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm pretty sure I'm beamed off the couch.... At least I hope I am right.... Very fun and challenging.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beam me up. Got lucky and stumbled on the path pretty quickly, which is good because spending time with family this weekend so don't have as much room for meta struggles. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I got it but it felt like it was flirting with a week 3!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up, but needed a nudge or two. I thought I had the correct answer a couple times, but now see how far off I was!!
Cindy Heisler
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Took a break from beating my head against the wall with the WSJ puzzle and with copious help from Mr. G, was able to get there. Beam me up!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I'm in the 2 answer club. I'm going to take a look again tomorrow and see if I can figure out what I'm missing.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I usually don't struggle this much with a week two. I've spotted something that must be relevant but still entirely clueless on how to execute.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

This was a tough week 2, at least for me (and I had help). It was 100% for me. I see why people may think there are two options, but there’s confirmation of who the correct one is.
burghman

Post by burghman »

I have a couple ideas but nothing is landing. Anyone feel like listening to me and maybe nudging me in the right direction? Would appreciate a little help - thanks in advance.

ETA - Thanks to cisalope for a nudge - continuing to plug away...
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

A Week 2 and I haven't even found a single way in. Not even a rabbit hole. I don't remember being this frustrated with a meta.

I'll gladly take a nudge.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I took a chance and somehow I'm beamed up, hahaha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Wow what a sloppy slog for me. Just got beamed up with lots of hand holding from a friend.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

MikeyG wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 am I took a chance and somehow I'm beamed up, hahaha.
I should do the same, as there's a 5.5% chance a blind guess is right....
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Whew picked the right actress! Couldn’t figure out the second step so I went with the 5-letter word based on the 5 theme entries.
ajk

Post by ajk »

The "[...] actor" clues jumped out pretty fast, since we were looking for an actress. Spent some time wondering why only one of the answers was a woman, and whether their first names were important.

Eventually googled to double check I had all the right people, which is when I noticed that Natalie Portman was in Closer. It was a bit longer before I started thinking about whether specific parts of the *ed clues were relevant, and PORT being a separate word already helped me see that Portman was PORTman.

Got KIDman, NEWman, and HUFFman from that, but had to google again to realize that ELFman was in Grosse Point Blank.

More google to look through the 70s Oscars and then backsolved the LEACH part to rule out Bergman.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I ended up picking the correct actress out of my two answers. I started reading Joon's review and then immediately noticed the first letters spelled out LEACH. I can't believe I missed that! Oh well, at least I picked the right one. This was pretty tough for a week 2.
stmv

Post by stmv »

At the beginning I went deep into the rabbit hole that ELF OWLS anagrams into FELLOWS, which is FELLOW = synonym for man + S, but I couldn't make any sensible anagrams out of the other starred entries. It was finally Laraine NEWman that got me onto the right track - I knew from the others that it had to be a female Newman, but I couldn't think of nor Google-find female Newman actresses, until it hit me that Laraine Newman answers the "original SNL cast member" clue, and then I was off and running.