#676 - "Man Seeking Woman"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Going to make a "leap of faith" solve because I am fairly sure of the answer I just cannot 100% support it. Gotta try!

EDIT: CONFIRMED YEA!!!! Beam me up. Wow first on page two and #71 (only ten after Joe Ross!) this may well be a high water mark for me. I ALMOST screwed up but when I went back just before hitting submit I saw the confirmation.

Tricky for a week two as stated, but obviously not too difficult if I managed to get home.
Last edited by DrTom on Fri May 14, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Y'all started without me?

Needed google for sure.
docison

Post by docison »

I'm curious as to the other answer people felt was supported. Can someone PM me to explain?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’ve been told the other answer and it definitely is not supported.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Done and DONE. I have what is a normally-useless knowledge base that came in super handy here. Even with that, there was a bit of research, but I loved this one! Thanks for making me look semi-cool in my husband’s eyes, Matt! 🤓🤓🤓
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Hector wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm Y'all started without me?

Needed google for sure.
Despite the large disparity in our usual leaderboard placements, I don't normally wait for you :)
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Went from seeing absolutely nothing for several hours, to getting it after finally noticing something. I agree that it is more like a week 2.5. Answer seemed pretty iron-clad to me, wonder what the alternative one is.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Giving up. Definitely not a week 2. I got some hints but after the 3rd with no progress I said "uncle".
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Glad I didn’t have a streak to preserve. I didn’t choose wisely.

Update. My submission just didn’t go through.
Last edited by Beth Tyrpin on Fri May 14, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I swung and missed. Should have looked further. Oh well, no streak to preserve. I should know better!
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmmm. 10% of submissions wrong. That's always disconcerting.

I found an answer that seems like a 100%er, and I've submitted it. So now I wait for the leaderboard update. Can't imagine what the other option could be.

Edit: And I've officially beamed up. Managed to refresh just as the leaderboard was updating, so I looked at the "this week" list, didn't see my name, and didn't remember exactly what time I'd submitted. Then I checked the overall list and was shocked to see my name there. I was getting all worked up about how could my answer possibly be wrong when I hit reload again and saw that my name had been added and all was right with the world.
subtly

Post by subtly »

beamed up. this is the second MGWC in a row where i've gotten partway, then lost confidence, asked for a nudge, got back "yeah, look harder", and got there. maybe next week instead of asking for a nudge, i'll just eliminate the middleman and look harder. or not.
===
Averting musical theatre emergencies since 1976.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

🐝+M 🥩-T ⬆️
Seemed unambiguous. Interested to know what alternatives folks found.
-Tamara
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Submitted and waiting... feel 100% confirmed, though it took a while to see how that was so (order of operations, sort of). Beam me up, provisionally? (Update: yes indeed - beamable.)

I’d say this was on the hard side, as most of you said — particularly if you’re not familiar with... something. 😉. Once I had the grid done (which was about typical but needed interwebs help with N.E. corner), it took me a good 20 minutes to spot the first step (zero rabbit holes, just nothing for a while), then another 20 to see where to go from there... and finally 10 minutes to wrap it up. That feels more like a week 3 to me, maybe.

There could have been a perfect “extra” confirmation (which I’ve suggested to MG) — will explain later if i remember.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri May 14, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
ricky

Post by ricky »

This one's got me puzzled. I have gone down a number of seemingly promising paths already but I think they seem that way because of my tendency to see far more connections between entries than MG ever intends to include.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
stmv

Post by stmv »

Wow, that was *much* harder than I expected for a Week 2. Even after I finally saw Step 1, I had to try several things before Step 2 (or was it Step 3?) revealed itself, but now I'm finally beamed up.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

When John Q. Student tells me, "I swear there were two right answers to that one question," I'm like, "No. No, there isn't" (assuming it's a standardized test and not an in-class one, as those are far more prone to typos).

I'm definitely in the camp currently of seeing two viable answers here after what I believe is a reasonable pathway. So, since I know there is definitely only one right answer, that means I must continue persevering and trying to figure out what I'm missing!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

KayW wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:34 pm :flying_saucer: :alien: #51 the week I got my 50 badge. Too bad I wasn't 4 minutes faster :lol: but solved/submitted while playing online bridge.
Speaking of bridge, how's tricks? (I had to.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
ricky

Post by ricky »

Okay, beamed up. I was right that I'd been barking up the wrong tree.

Don't know if anyone else is in this spot, but in my experience with these puzzles, if you've got a clear connection between 3-4 theme answers and the last one or two just don't fit, you may very well be seeing a link that was neither intended nor accounted for. Don't put too much faith in it.
Last edited by ricky on Sat May 15, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST