#672 - "The Purloined Letters" by Dean Silverberg

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe

Post by Joe »

Beaming up and hoping Matt will show mercy. I was in the middle of typing the answer into the form and my big dumb thumb hit "Submit" before I was done typing it. I sent him an email with a mea culpa. Hoping he'll show mercy!

Puzzle was fun. I hadn't heard of this detective either, but (like Dplass) I want to check one out.

Update: Matt was nice. I'm beamed aboard.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Submitted an answer that we feel cautiously optimistic about.. I’m going to check the leader board every 10 minutes until we know for sure if we’re right. If we are, we just might retire from meta puzzles — we’ve been on such a losing streak with all of them that this would be a HUGE win and we might need to George Costanza out so we leave on a high note! 😂😂😂
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beamed up.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

2 was a 3 and 3 was a 2! But the proof will be in the pudding with the data, and this could easily crack 600. It wasn't immediately obvious, and there were a couple of pieces that came together at the end. Nice one!

Enjoying the reprieve before Weeks 4 and 5, hahaha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
ricky

Post by ricky »

Beamed up midafternoon. Always a good feeling when you assemble an answer and say "I'm not sure I know what that is, let me just Google it" and the Google results provide immediate confirmation that you're in the end zone.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

A different sort of meta mechanism, but a fun one! 28A was a new word for me.. and I know a good bit about plants! 32D was also brand new to me, as was 44A.. so getting their crossing letter took quite a while ( :

I feel sure of the answer I’ve submitted, but we shall see. WAyyy down on the solvers board this week if I’m right... just had too much work to do this afternoon, plus still recovering from my major snag on the WSJ, which I also got started late on!

Feeling sorry for you northerners... it’s just a perfect weather weekend here in NC, with warm sun and a slightly cool breeze, a nice blanket needed at night. Oh please stay around awhile, Spring!!

Update: yes beam me up!
The other Wendy. :roll:
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Off the plane from South Carolina, filled in the grid....the mandatory beating head against wall....walked away. Got the AHA moment....or at least I think I did.

Waiting on seeing if I got beamed up.

UPDATE.... Officially Beamed Up.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

KDubs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 pm If we are, we just might retire from meta puzzles — we’ve been on such a losing streak with all of them that this would be a HUGE win and we might need to George Costanza out so we leave on a high note! 😂😂😂
Such a showman!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I still have on my Inspector gear 🧐 looking for the culprit. But look what just arrived in my inbox as my word of the day from Merriam-Webster: Purloin !!! Amazing coincidence!??

https://www.merriam-webster.com/?utm_ca ... ent=header
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Fun one. Done and done.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up! Almost had it (frustrated that I didn't), but got it with a nudge from a fellow muggle.
Cindy Heisler
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Submitted. Awaiting the beam.
I'm familiar with the gumshoe. I used to enjoy the genre and this detective caught my eye in the library.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I had a dream about this puzzle last night while I was still trying to solve the WSJ puzzle. That's finally done, now I'm almost done the grid with this one.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

This one was tough for me. A lot of the trouble was due to the tough grid fill and partly due to one wrong letter in the grid that took me a long time to recognize. I saw the meta path early, but the aforementioned mistake slowed me down quite a bit.

Submitted and should be on the board soon.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Beamed up thanks to a friendly nudge. I knew I was on the right track, just needed some encouragement.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Beamed up although I feel like I might be missing something. And I'm still missing a letter in the grid at 32D 44A.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I have a list of letters which includes a detective name, but with extra letters.
I think I need a nudge 🙏
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

If you are requesting or expecting Private Messages, be sure to elect to receive site &/or emailed notifications for them:

MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Catching the next beam up. Team Bob and Marge pulled the ace out of the hole once again. That was fun after a seemingly impossible start. Kudos to this multitalented guest constructor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

well, I threw in a guess before I was ready to beam up and there was a transporter accident and letters are scattered all over the place.

I know who it's NOT, could someone take pity on me and PM me to discuss where I went wrong?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.