#671 - "This Stays Between Us"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:26 pm Beam me up. Grid took longer than the meta.
SRSLY? I flew through the grid. Meta is a mystery to me. What? What do y’all see??
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:22 pm
minimuggle wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 pm This is my first week trying Matt Gaffney's weekly and I'm having trouble printing it. Any suggestions??? Thanks
Download the .puz file and do it on your computer.
I tried that and it would not launch on my MacBook Pro. When I tried to print it only printed the clues. I actually finished the grid by drawing the grid myself and filling in the answers. Not a pretty sight and I haven't even begun to figure out the meta. :) This may have to be my first and last week. Frustrated with myself here.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

minimuggle wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:42 pm
minimuggle wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 pm This is my first week trying Matt Gaffney's weekly and I'm having trouble printing it. Any suggestions??? Thanks
I tried that and it would not launch on my MacBook Pro. When I tried to print it only printed the clues. I actually finished the grid by drawing the grid myself and filling in the answers. Not a pretty sight and I haven't even begun to figure out the meta. :) This may have to be my first and last week. Frustrated with myself here.
PM me with your email and I will send you the PDF to print.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Waiting for the update but pretty sure I've beamed up.

Edit: on the board!
Last edited by hcbirker on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
Hector

Post by Hector »

What else have you tried? Have you tried opening the pdf and printing that?
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke »

Beam me up. Fun one!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Submitted... (with more better reasoning than my hilarious MMMM fail earlier this week)... :crossed_fingers:

EDIT: confirmed :confetti_ball: :alien: :flying_saucer:
Last edited by KayW on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Still working on the grid lol
camandsampowercouple

Install the Across Lite Software on your Mac.
https://www.litsoft.com/across/alite/download/
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow page two. I am not confirmed but quite sure.

The GRID was a bear, but of course it had to be. Anyone else see an island sneak in there?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

All in all this has been a good week. Got all the metas I tried (lots I didn't but I'm not going to go tempting fate). Of course given that it is a week 2 for the Gaffney I suppose I should not feel THAT cocky.

I took a lot longer to do than I could have, but that is because I feel I HAVE to solve the complete grid before submitting an answer. I know that I will never be 1st (or even top 50) so I can indulge my particular 'eccentricity' (wasn't it nice when they called them that). I'll be interested to see if people stumbled the same places (actually only one big block) that I did. I tried to make it harder by making some bad choices, but hey one might say that is the story of my life....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Great puzzle, but I spent the first hour trying to reduce it from a 21x21 to a 15x15.
camandsampowercouple

Is anyone around that could answer a question about a clue?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm Is anyone around that could answer a question about a clue?
Message me
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

My favorite kind of meta... one that I see right away! Beam me up and enjoy your weekend!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:41 pm
Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:26 pm Beam me up. Grid took longer than the meta.
SRSLY? I flew through the grid. Meta is a mystery to me. What? What do y’all see??
Just keep staring at it. You will see some interesting things. :)
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:41 pm
With ya! I feel like we got through the grid much more quickly than we expected but the meta is not coming to me. This and the MMMM might elude us this time, but at least we got the WSJ — I’d hate missing 3 of 3.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beam me, SVP.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beamed up! I enjoyed this one. Figured out the last part post beam.
Last edited by higgysue on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Beam me up - confirmed - and the start of my first ever streak!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D