#670 - "Director's Cut"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Behme me up.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Question - this is my first week submitting to MGWCC - I am 99.9% sure I have the correct answer, but don't see my name on the leaderboard. How often does the board update?
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

varies widely, MamaE. He has a new baby, so I think it's between naps right now. ( :
The other Wendy. :roll:
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

ahhh - good to know! i remember those days well.....
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Hector

Post by Hector »

MamaE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm Question - this is my first week submitting to MGWCC - I am 99.9% sure I have the correct answer, but don't see my name on the leaderboard. How often does the board update?
Yes, it varies. But there are two ways to know if your answer was rejected. There is an indication at the bottom of the This Week list of the time it was last updated. And every solver who submits an answer that has been evaluated for correctness appears on the Overall list (that's how we know that e.a. submitted an incorrect guess today).

Are you MamaEllen? If so, you're #188 on the This Week leaderboard. Be sure to refresh the page; I don't think it automatically updates in your browser.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OK you smart and fast people

1) I got my notification from Patreon at 12:03

2) Two people posted that their answer was received at 12:01.

3) Twenty had posted the right answer by 12:07

I assume that they system sends out the contest in some order that takes time but how do you guys solve the contest that fast.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hector

Post by Hector »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:58 pm OK you smart and fast people

I assume that they system sends out the contest in some order that takes time but how do you guys solve the contest that fast.
viewtopic.php?p=50516#p50516
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Hector wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:17 pm
Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 pm When people are on the board before the puzzle has even found its way to my email inbox, I know I am not ever going to be first to solve! This happens quite frequently.
Leaderboard racing is an utterly silly and completely pointless game. Here are some tips.
  • The meta title and prompt are available on xwordcontest.com before the puzzle is published. In this case, we had a good 15 minutes to assemble info about the directors. Given that and the title, I'm actually surprised that e.a.'s guess (without solving the grid) was incorrect this week, and I suspect some of the earliest solvers today also skipped the grid.
  • Soon before the puzzle comes out, the submit form is also available on that page. Enter your personal info and keep the tab open.
  • The puzzle appears on patreon.com well before it makes it to your inbox.
  • Usually on a week 1, and sometimes on a week 2, all you need for the meta is one or more themers. And to get these sometimes google beats finding crossing entries.
  • There often is a hint in the first or last across clue, or in a central across entry.
Thanks for the tips. I did not know that one could download the puzzle directly from the site. I think I attempted to do so once and failed, so did not pursue it further. The only reason I would be interested in finishing first is to achieve the badge, for completion's sake. Otherwise, I would always rather be correct than first, so I don't plan on ever indulging in preemptive educated guessing. I think I was once 4th on a difficult week 5 puzzle, when my first idea of what to do just happened to be correct. It was nice though to see that last week's first solver was someone who I have not seen at the top of the board before.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:58 pm OK you smart and fast people

Don't think I qualify in either category, but as one who posted a 12:07 time my process was:
(1) get buzz on my watch that puzzle was posted on Patreon
(2) download puzzle from Patreon (saved ~2 min here vs. waiting for email)
(3) solve puzzle
(4) fix significant typo in puzzle, slap forehead
(5) figure out mechanism
(6) google current Best Director nominees
(7) submit
Last edited by ajk on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up. Got to it late because, well, life!
Heidi
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beam me up. Not really interested in being first. I’m just glad I can make it on the board from time to time!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm with the landing party that intended to wait until Sunday to get that Egg-cellent Achievement but then forgot all about it and requested beam up. Maybe next year.

Talk is cheap, but I think I could have been up near the top of the leaderboard this week if I'd started right at noon and been brave enough to submit without full confirmation. When I read the prompt, I googled the list of director nominees and made a guess about which would make a good meta answer. When I opened the puzzle, I looked at the potential theme answers and knew one of them right away and that seemed to confirm my guess. So woulda, coulda, and maybe even shoulda, but didn't. Some year after I miss 5 and am out of medal contention, perhaps I'll actually try it.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Beamed up! Now back to the WSJCC!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 pm I'm with the landing party that intended to wait until Sunday to get that Egg-cellent Achievement but then forgot all about it and requested beam up. Maybe next year.
Oh darn! I forgot about that too! I had reminded myself last week (when I was struggling to solve). Oh well, at least I’m finished with metas for the weekend.
Flananigans

Post by Flananigans »

Beam me up! Thanks for the suggestion to wait for Easter!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:22 pm
JordanianTomlinson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 pm I guess my answer of Señor Spielbergo's "A Burns for all Seasons" was incorrect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They're saying "BOO-URNS..."
boo-urns.gif
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Week 0.5? Energize.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up. Set a timer and got it in 6 min. (which is about 5 hours and 54 minutes less than last week)
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Energize! The only red shirts I want to hang with this weekend are THE ANGELS!!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Good reason to review Oscar nominees :)
Might as well wait 'til Sunday to submit (good practice on not jumping the gun, which was downfall last week).
Still lost at sea on the WSJ...
-Tamara