#670 - "Director's Cut"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

#343 on the leaderboard - that's 7 cubed!

lucky 7x7x7???
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up! I wasn't even aware there were "achievements". I will never be the first to solve, but I will work on the holiday ones. Too late for this Easter.
Cindy Heisler
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Hector wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:50 pm
MamaE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm Question - this is my first week submitting to MGWCC - I am 99.9% sure I have the correct answer, but don't see my name on the leaderboard. How often does the board update?
Yes, it varies. But there are two ways to know if your answer was rejected. There is an indication at the bottom of the This Week list of the time it was last updated. And every solver who submits an answer that has been evaluated for correctness appears on the Overall list (that's how we know that e.a. submitted an incorrect guess today).

Are you MamaEllen? If so, you're #188 on the This Week leaderboard. Be sure to refresh the page; I don't think it automatically updates in your browser.
Yep - that's me :) - after a few minutes waiting and several refreshes I popped up :) Thanks!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

A big shout out to those on here that are 2020 solo solve medalists. Very impressive! Great job!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I just looked at the leaderboard. Of the 483 on the leaderboard, 383 of us also have a streak of 1
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

higgysue wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:00 am A big shout out to those on here that are 2020 solo solve medalists. Very impressive! Great job!
Thanks! It took two years of trying to achieve that goal. I'm trying to relax a bit now and just let them solve as they may.
lkeigwin

Post by lkeigwin »

I was #5 this week but I've only gotten into that territory once before (with a lucky #1 a few years back). I'm usually cautious and plodding.

I checked best directors first and one stood out. A partial completion of the first theme answer confirmed it.
TMart

Post by TMart »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:28 am
higgysue wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:00 am A big shout out to those on here that are 2020 solo solve medalists. Very impressive! Great job!
Thanks! It took two years of trying to achieve that goal. I'm trying to relax a bit now and just let them solve as they may.
I hear you. I had 51 solos, and 1 with a nudge last year, and it was very nerve-wracking. But this year, I'm so relaxed about it I've missed three of the last six. A little swag goes a long way to helping with the relaxation!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Beamed up here but still with Isaac over at the WSJ cruise.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK. new streak starting, pretty sure of this one so I'll say....1
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up. I needed an easy one after spending four days “helping” my son paint his basement reno.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Beamed... nice to have a week 1 after a Florida-to-Detroit drive. Now to check out WSJ and Sunday NYT.... I'd have to think he could make the prompt "a filmmaker with a best director Oscar nomination" and still only have one possible answer without making it as patently apparent.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Heads up that October this year has 5 Fridays, so the Nothing Scarier achievement is also possible. Of course, that involves *solving* the Week 5, which might be harder than remembering to submit on Halloween. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke »

Beam me up. Thank you, Joe, for the reminder on Easter posting!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

beam me up.
ajk

Post by ajk »

[me immediately after completing puzzle]"ooh, see 18A starts out ROBY but if you change that O to a U you get RUBY and so that's going to be the mech--what's that now? The O is just a typo? Oh. Never mind." :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Forgot to post earlier- already beamed up.
I was delayed for awhile- kept looking for a director named Cruise... 🤣
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So Beryl Markham was the name I knew right away (and supported my guess that Emerald would be the answer.)

I read West With the Night back in the 80s. Hadn’t much thought of or heard of her since till MGWCC. Then yesterday, I saw a quiz in an aviation magazine that asked who was the first woman to cross the Atlantic solo east to west. (Beryl Markham, of course.) The universe is weird.