#670 - "Director's Cut"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#670 - "Director's Cut"

Post by Hector »

This week’s contest answer is one of the five people nominated for Best Director at the upcoming Academy Awards.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Nice to have a simple confidence restorer. Beam me up.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beam me up.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Ok, so. Simple enough meta. I am waiting til Sunday to submit my answer though, because... one of the "Achievements" that you get to through Matt's leader board (just click a name and it will show their Achievements) is "Solve a puzzle on Easter" and it's one of two that I don't have. The other is "Be the first to solve a puzzle" and, well, that's not happening. It's the little victories, people!

Anyway, I'll be beaming up on Sunday.

Also, if you haven't seen the movie this director is nominated for, DO!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I can't name a single movie or person involved with any of the movies nominated for the Oscars this year. Guess I'll just take a 1/5 guess.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I found this to be very week 1, both grid and meta. I felt like I zoomed through it as fast as possible, only to find myself at #26 on the leaderboard. You speed solvers are seriously impressive!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

I guess my answer of Señor Spielbergo's "A Burns for all Seasons" was incorrect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Joe wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:19 pm Ok, so. Simple enough meta. I am waiting til Sunday to submit my answer though, because... one of the "Achievements" that you get to through Matt's leader board (just click a name and it will show their Achievements) is "Solve a puzzle on Easter" and it's one of two that I don't have. The other is "Be the first to solve a puzzle" and, well, that's not happening.
When people are on the board before the puzzle has even found its way to my email inbox, I know I am not ever going to be first to solve! This happens quite frequently.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I'm with Joe - I'm going to submit on Sunday (If I don't forget)
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve transported. I was going to wait until Sunday, too but I FORGOT!! Because I’m OLD! Sigh....... but it was nice to have a walk in the park meta.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beam me up to that silver screen.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

This meta was as easy as last week’s meta was difficult.
Looks like e.a. guessed incorrectly again at the starting line.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Transporter set for Sunday.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 pm When people are on the board before the puzzle has even found its way to my email inbox, I know I am not ever going to be first to solve! This happens quite frequently.
Leaderboard racing is an utterly silly and completely pointless game. Here are some tips.
  • The meta title and prompt are available on xwordcontest.com before the puzzle is published. In this case, we had a good 15 minutes to assemble info about the directors. Given that and the title, I'm actually surprised that e.a.'s guess (without solving the grid) was incorrect this week, and I suspect some of the earliest solvers today also skipped the grid.
  • Soon before the puzzle comes out, the submit form is also available on that page. Enter your personal info and keep the tab open.
  • The puzzle appears on patreon.com well before it makes it to your inbox.
  • Usually on a week 1, and sometimes on a week 2, all you need for the meta is one or more themers. And to get these sometimes google beats finding crossing entries.
  • There often is a hint in the first or last across clue, or in a central across entry.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Easier than the usual week 1...
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

JordanianTomlinson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 pm I guess my answer of Señor Spielbergo's "A Burns for all Seasons" was incorrect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They're saying "BOO-URNS..."
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

With regard to three films up for best picture, "Promising Young Woman" is searing, haunting, and indelible (Mulligan was impeccable in the role of a lifetime), "Minari" is a beautiful testament to the power of family with gorgeous visuals and acting, and "Nomadland" was gripping, documentary-like in its realism (with many actors actual nomads) with McDormand giving a brilliant, gritty performance.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Late start, but beam me up!

Edit: Oh heck, I didn't think about the "Solve the puzzle on Easter" thing (and didn't read these comments until after submitting).
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Beamed up.....

now just need to get beamed from the d@mn ship.... not that Isaac doesn't serve a good caipirinha, but they should be enjoyed on the beach not the ship.