#669 - "Easy as A-B-C"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Oh, always! I learned that the hard way when I made my first. :lol:
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Submitted with fingers crossed - that was a slog but pretty cool (I guess I shouldn't be Speaking too soon, though)

Edit: Beam me up!
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

Welp, I've been looking at this for a day and a half now with no progress. Rabbit holes have been numerous but shallow. Would anyone be kind enough to provide a nudge please?

Update: A kind nudge has roped off all the rabbit holes except one, which turned out not to be one after all. Grateful to have something to mull over. The work continues!
Last edited by ellgee on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

ellgee, only ten solvers have gotten a correct answer so far. It seems really early to be asking for a nudge.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

Abide wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:02 am ellgee, only ten solvers have gotten a correct answer so far. It seems really early to be asking for a nudge.
38 solvers, though I see your point. However, after a few active hours and many more passive hours working on this and knowing my own limitations, I'm pretty sure I won't get any farther on my own and figured I might as well send a flare up. :(
markhr

Post by markhr »

Beamed up. I must say, of the many solo solves I've done, this was among the most challenging. Even after seeing where this was going, it was bit of a slog getting over the finish line. But it can be done with perseverance.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ellgee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:11 am
Abide wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:02 am ellgee, only ten solvers have gotten a correct answer so far. It seems really early to be asking for a nudge.
38 solvers, though I see your point. However, after a few active hours and many more passive hours working on this and knowing my own limitations, I'm pretty sure I won't get any farther on my own and figured I might as well send a flare up. :(
Stick with it, ellgee. Over time, a lot of people naturally find co-solvers - a friend or friends they trust to give them the encouragement that a puzzle is solvable, thumbs up or down on strategy, or the slightest of nudges without speeling out the meta in neon colors. Perhaps your request will be a first step.

I'm trying to encourage myself & others that this puzzle is solvable due to the few dozen who've accomplished it. However, I don't have the first clue.

We do have time.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Hoping to bounce some ideas off someone whether they've solved it or not. I keep seeing rabbit holes and I'm getting nowhere fast.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

You know it's a tough one when Jangler isn't on the board.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Just now printed it off. From prior posts perhaps I should get back to the pool. 😎
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MASS IN B MINOR had 115; if this breaks 100, I think it'll be close to the deadline.

I had a dream about the meta (yep, that's where we're at) and it gave me...one more rabbit hole, haha. Nothing there yet, but I will keep trying!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Even with a shove (a bit more than a nudge) from a fellow muggle to set me on the right path, it was a challenge. But I got it!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Waiting for the board to update but pretty confident I’ll be beaming.
Tough one but definitely get-able. No idea how Matt continues to come up with these...

Edit: 🆙
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Coming up blank here as well, besides a week 1-level observation/possible first step. Rough weekend for metas for me...
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I may have to give this one up. I have gone down about 15 roads, and nothing. (All of them were terrific ideas too!). I think i have the grid memorized now, and could give you the clues for each word from memory too. N-O-T-H-I-N-G.
The other Wendy. :roll:
paige11

Post by paige11 »

I had almost given up hope when I had one last idea that seemingly panned out! Waiting for confirmation.

Edit: Beam me up!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I've worried a couple of threads loose. They have to play. Hoping for enough time to solve.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

If anyone is offering I’d take a nudge. Have made good progress (unlike my DNF in WSJCC) then hit a wall.

Stay well all
jeffmiz

Post by jeffmiz »

I’m submitted...anyone mind shooting me a quick way of how they got there?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I feel that I am 95% of the way there thanks to a small nudge. Just can’t get the last bit to come together. Might be a late night as I have commitments in the morning and won’t have much time to work on it.