#668 - "Asked and Answered"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, things still looked good this morning and I noticed one little additional mini click. So submitted, and hey presto on the board. Beam me up. 8-)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Okie dokie!
Last edited by Janet P on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, it bothers me that this one is [redacted] and [redacted].

and that I still don't even have a step 1, other than the [redacted], which are a collage of junk.

no nudges yet, spent one night mulling this over, plan to spend at least another one.

<thanks for the redactions>

T
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
KayW

Post by KayW »

"Asked and Answered"? More like asked and asked and asked and asked.... still staring :shock: :shock: :shock:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Asked & Answered - check and check - beamed up.
-Tamara
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wow... Cannot believe I didn't see it & cannot believe that I finally did.

Hangin'with the big dogs! ๐Ÿ’ฏ

;)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I think I have it. Now the frequent refreshing begins.......

Yay! Liked this one.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

That was VERY fun, for reasons I canโ€™t mention just yet. Beam me up!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I've beamed up, but I had to check the non-solo-solve button because I saw the now-redacted comments here. Nothing I hadn't already noticed, but non-solo is non-solo. No biggie; last year was my year of solo solving, and I'll probably end up doing some group solves sometime this year anyway.

Something I was absolutely sure was important turned out not to be (unless there's a connection I'm not getting.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Submitted and waiting, but confident...
BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:32 pm Something I was absolutely sure was important turned out not to be (unless there's a connection I'm not getting.)
Barbara, I'll bet that something was the same rut I was stuck in for quite a while.

EDIT: Confirmed
Last edited by KayW on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Iโ€™ve submitted. Now the waiting begins..... If the mechanism I used to solve is incorrect, it would make a nice future meta.

Edit: Beam me up!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:32 pm I've beamed up, but I had to check the non-solo-solve button because I saw the now-redacted comments here. Nothing I hadn't already noticed, but non-solo is non-solo. No biggie; last year was my year of solo solving, and I'll probably end up doing some group solves sometime this year anyway.

Something I was absolutely sure was important turned out not to be (unless there's a connection I'm not getting.)
I'm sorry about that.

T
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Great puzzle Matt!

(we know youโ€™re out there)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Beamed up! It's one of those where I'll be so tickled with myself all day and absolutely nobody in my (real) life will understand. Also I got my first vax this week so everything's coming up roses.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Great puzzle, and a perfect week 3 IMO... a couple of nights of pulling my hair out followed by a nice Sunday morning epiphany... Beam me up, Scotty!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I havenโ€™t had a lot of time to look at the puzzle so Iโ€™m still in the pondering phase. Iโ€™m seeing nothing yet. Iโ€™m bummed that I missed the spoilers! Hopefully my brain will kick in soon.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Got some leads but nothing concrete so far - would love to talk through what I've been seeing with anyone still struggling or already beamed up.
-HB
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Hey Hashbrown,
I got it with some help from my friends if you want to bounce anything off me.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Holy CRAP! What a puzzle, I cannot believe that he accomplished that. I have submitted, with substantial nudging and someone correcting me at one point about some errors I had made, but in the end I am correct in my answer because, well because once you get it you go "WOW" and you knwo it cannot be wrong.

I wish I could take more credit because I saw the beginnings of the mechanism two days ago but overlooked a very important point that in truth I had noticed and did a "Huh, ain't that odd" and then just carried on. Some day I will get as good as I want to think I can be. But in the meantime I'll settle for being a mid level earth tone (Midi Ochre).
Picard Frustration.png
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!