#667 - "Search for Apps"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, that took more pushes than my old Vega trying to start in the winter! I noticed some things early on and did not follow them up. I do not use this app, never order this app and basically avoid the entire family...that said I owe a debt of gratitude to a fellow muggle who would not let me be a quitter on this. In the bottom 500 and darn glad to be there.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Janet P wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:22 pm
Well, actually, NO ONE is allowed in my laundry room! My 40+ year old Maytags and I are very particular about all things washing, drying, folding, and ironing. 'Tis my indoor sanctuary space ;)
It sounds like you could be this guy’s muse. Or co-author. In this morning’s WSJ:

Hate Washing Clothes? ‘The Laundry Guy’ Wants to Change That - WSJ
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hate-washi ... 1615821168
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:19 pm Is there anyone here from Portland Oregon? I just found out that they have an Adult Soapbox Derby. Google that and watch the videos. A great muggle event as beer is a prerequisite for participation.
Portlander here! Will have to check that out. With my woodworking skills and aerodynamic frame I'd be a shoe-in for the participation award.

Regarding this puzzle, I haven't had a lot of time with it since finishing the grid, but it's stumping me so far. First time I may miss both the week 1 and the week 2? What has become of me?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

tonyrobots wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:19 pm Is there anyone here from Portland Oregon? I just found out that they have an Adult Soapbox Derby. Google that and watch the videos. A great muggle event as beer is a prerequisite for participation.
Portlander here! Will have to check that out. With my woodworking skills and aerodynamic frame I'd be a shoe-in for the participation award.

Regarding this puzzle, I haven't had a lot of time with it since finishing the grid, but it's stumping me so far. First time I may miss both the week 1 and the week 2? What has become of me?
If you join in, we want videos of the construction and the race - hopefully no hospital visit
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

In other news, I believe I finally got the right answer, but haven't showed up on the board. Hmmm....

Edit: Made it in, phew!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I got this one pretty quickly, but I used to work in the same building Uber Eats' Chicago office was in, so... maybe a little easier for me than most.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:19 pm Screenshot 2021-03-16 121538.png
I dispute calling cucumbers "food." Unless they're pickled.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Saw the UBER in AUBERGINE right away, and then saw that it could be found scattered through the other themers, but initially discounted that as not tight enough for one of Matt's puzzles. Separately noticed they were all foods, but didn't connect the two. Eventually (days later) figured out that UBER were the *only* letters that appeared in all of them, and thought, ok, maybe that's enough. Then remembered another early thought, that 'Apps' could mean appetizers as well. Basically I had all the thoughts separately right off the bat, but didn't connect them until days later. Also wonder if TAPAS SLATE in 1A/69A was intentional. Matt didn't mention it in his Fiend response, so maybe not.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Had these three theme entries completely filled, at one point. If I had a shot at a Top 5 or Top 10 spot, I might have taken the chance on GRUB HUB.

Screenshot 2021-03-16 133033.png
Abide

Post by Abide »

Someday I will take Uber Eats up on the $30 coupon spam they send me every day.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald