#666 - "Play Me or Trade Me"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

#293 on the Leaderboard as of 11:43 last night! Yay! Beam me up!
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke »

Beam me up!
Another fun, brilliant construction from Matt.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 pm I was staring at this one for a while thinking “is this really a week 1”? Fun puzzle though and an unusual week 1 “aha” moment
Similar experience. Stared for longer than I thought I'd need to. Then saw what's going on just like that.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Jacksull wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:58 pm I had my second vaxx (moderna) yesterday and was feeling pretty good this morning.
Before I started the meta, fatigue, chills, fever hit me. Mild symptoms, but it was just impossible to concentrate. Seems pretty typical, so I ‘m just going to wait til tomorrow to look at this one again.
Thank you for being part of the solution.
Hector

Post by Hector »

markhr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:36 am I will blame my Covid shot on Thursday for my slowness in figuring out this MGWCC. Clearly it rattled my brain and inhibited my solving ability. I did manage to finally sort things out and am now officially beamed up.
Thank you, too, and thank all of you who are part of the solution.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Modern technology can work wonders. On Thursday, the day that Ohio allowed 60+ year-olds, I received a request that I schedule my COVID vaccination via the MyChart app my doctor's practice uses. I wore it out for 2 days and had no luck. This morning, around 8:25, I thought I'd give it another shot & it listed 5 appointments(!). By 9:45 AM I had finished with my 15 minutes of waiting after the 1st shot. I used the app to fill out all history & approvals, including signatures, and sailed through without doing paperwork upon arrival. Others turned their heads to watch as I walked in, sat & answered 3 verbal questions (name, address, birthday + showed ID), then went on to get the shot.

If your medical practice uses MyChart (other apps are likely to be similar), you should receive a notice to schedule when you become eligible. Keep trying (family members have said early mornings seem to work best), schedule your appointment, then use the app to fill out pre-appointment info.

Best luck to all on MGWCC & in getting vaccinated!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:10 pm Modern technology can work wonders. On Thursday, the day that Ohio allowed 60+ year-olds, I received a request that I schedule my COVID vaccination via the MyChart app my doctor's practice uses. I wore it out for 2 days and had no luck. This morning, around 8:25, I thought I'd give it another shot & it listed 5 appointments(!). By 9:45 AM I had finished with my 15 minutes of waiting after the 1st shot. I used the app to fill out all history & approvals, including signatures, and sailed through without doing paperwork upon arrival. Others turned their heads to watch as I walked in, sat & answered 3 verbal questions (name, address, birthday + showed ID), then went on to get the shot.

If your medical practice uses MyChart (other apps are likely to be similar), you should receive a notice to schedule when you become eligible. Keep trying (family members have said early mornings seem to work best), schedule your appointment, then use the app to fill out pre-appointment info.

Best luck to all on MGWCC & in getting vaccinated!
DELIGHTED that you were able to get the shot my friend, now you only have to get stuck once more and then of course on week 4 and 5 puzzles. Hopefully you will have no untoward SEs.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Just checked the leader board and I’m number 360 - just ahead of DrTom! 😎

Fun puzzle! The grid was difficult, and had to back solve, but very enjoyable.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I'll be darned, I saw this META and my first idea was the right one, I did have to do a bit of back solving, but I am 99.5% confident that I am ready to beam aboard. I've done pretty well this week compared to others but I say that with reservation since I know that the MMM had a distinct topical tell, WSJ was relatively easy and in truth the MG was as well - though I can easily see why people are getting stuck. So I'll place myself tentatively in the transporter terminal waiting to see if I am correct.
transport wait.jpg
Oh. and to all of my Muggle friends who have and are getting their vaccinations, congratulations for helping to fight this darn virus. If there are any of you thinking you probably won't get it, please reconsider because our one best chance of knocking this down and preventing more variants is to stop the infection and transmission of the Coronavirus. Although distancing, masks and handwashing help prevent the spread, if there are no infected individuals the transmission stops. OK, soapbox kicked back under couch - carry on.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, no sooner said than done - beamed!
Beam me up Picard Gold.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Alvibu67 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:51 pm Just checked the leader board and I’m number 360 - just ahead of DrTom! 😎

Fun puzzle! The grid was difficult, and had to back solve, but very enjoyable.
I just assume it was my job to be part of the new circle! At 362 I am in the circle of strife as opposed to the circle of life, though I am glad to be in any circle since my solving skills have been suspect for a few weeks.

In the weeks to come I'll be lucky to not be dizzy from all of the revolutions I'll be involved in. I'd certainly like to be considered a cute solver or even be right, but it is more probably that, as in life, I'll be more obtuse....he said reflexively. What is your angle on this?
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I'm probably 100 lower down on the list than DrTom. I was very slow on the uptake (or upbeam) this week, so I agree with those who question the Week #1 designation. Like Allison, I had to do a bit of backsolving, a generational necessity I would guess.
Jay
ReB

Post by ReB »

Should have asked to beam up yesterday, but just didn't feel like posting then.

Frankly I don't understand all the back and forth about whether this is a "Week 1" or "Week 2" level: I'm just thankful that Matt's newborn and family are staying healthy such that Matt can continue to post these puzzles.

I was encouraged to find out I was on the right track all along. I followed a few false trails, but then a break and a fresh look at the theme entries yielded the dawning light. Overall a straightforward mechanism with all the pieces fitting together, as Matt characteristically accomplishes. I did feel like I was primed for solving for reasons that will have to wait until after the deadline.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A double shot of my baby's love vs. a second shot of my baby's Moderna. I took the latter eight days ago, walking the thre miles to East Harlem and back. I had no reaction except for a very faint and fleeting soreness at the point of injection. Wait, i thought, what if I'm in the control group and got the placebo? If not, the messengers are on silent running, quietly waking up my immune system. But whether it's working is, as DrTom might say, antibodies' guess.
Jay
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

beam me up. i really enjoyed this one.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

The fog that filled my brain after the second dose of Moderna vaccine finally lifted. I woke up this morning with the answer clear in my mind.

Beam me up.
Jack Sullivan
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Beam me up. Another person who back solved. Felt more like a Week 2 but enjoyed it. M
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Stared at it for an hour: check

Needed to backsolve: check

Beamed up & feeling good: check

I love being on this message board! But no more waiting until Sunday night to start a week 1... that was scary lol
chnest

Post by chnest »

I have been adrift since Friday, any suggestions :) ? I've tried anagrams, replacement, focusing on clues, etc.

Thanks,

Chris
Abide

Post by Abide »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:16 pm But whether it's working is, as DrTom might say, antibodies' guess.
*mic drop*
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald