#665 - "Stop Talking!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I first saw the women's names before each of the languages in each theme entry. Most can be thought of a famous singers (even known by one name, almost), and they "stopped talking" by "singing", but that went no where. It seemed too strong of a coincidence to not be a red herring, almost. Almost.

[EDIT] I should have noted the singers:

EMA (wiki: Erika Michelle Anderson, better known by her stage name EMA)
OMO BELLO (opera singer, doesn't go by one name)
DIANA (Ross - natch)
SADE
ANGE/ANGELA -(Okay, this is the weakest of the weak)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
ajk

Post by ajk »

my favorite rabbit hole was to see NAPOLI in 39A and GANG in 60A and think Stop Talking! was related to the Mafia. :D Fortunately omerta is 6 letters. :D :D Plus the pesky lack of connection to the other themers.

Hand also raised for DIANA/SADE/ANGELA. IMAN being Somali initially made me try to turn the end of 25A into SOMALIA (the delay between this period and actually getting it was...embarrassingly long). Then there was a CHINE is French for China phase. :D In the end I think I saw POLISH (as in the verb) at the end of 39A, and then half a second later it clicked that I could pronounce it differently.

Edit to make clear that I should have gotten it earlier than I did
Last edited by ajk on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I commented to Matt that I now know how to say "Shut Up" in five languages. Think I mighta missed the off-ramp back there.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I got stuck in the DIANA/SADE/ANGELA hole and couldn't get out. Never saw the languages, and I know I wouldn't have found the next step even if I did.

Now I have a new streak going....2 DNFs! Such is the meta life....
LizD

Post by LizD »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:56 pm This week I made a major investment and signed up for the MGWCC. With more than a little assistance from my fairy god mother, I have been beamed up and confirmed.
Me too! ๐Ÿ˜ Although I haven't solved it yet...
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

I saw MUM and ADIOS and TATA in the grid, with the title Stop Talking! I couldnโ€™t solve it but submitted a guess: SHUSH. I thought that was a reasonable guess. Oh well! On to the next one!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Weird fill makes me look a little bit askance, so maybe that's a clue, and I was like, "Who says GELATI?" (even though that's the plural) but didn't think much of it. CHROMOSOMAL was also a bit odd.

So I put it down, picked it up about three times, etc. Then my eyes just went to GREE and LATI and I was like, "OOOOH" (just like that).

And...that was it. Had to do a couple more of those until I realized, not even looking at the puzzle, "Wait a minute...that one actress might be Polish" and so that did it. Could easily see the rabbit holes that you could go down here, though!

At first, I was like, "Ready for a tough Week 5," but then I realize I never have any idea what day it is anymore. Easy-breezy coming up soon, I hope! :)

Mike
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

It was actually Pola Negri that set off my weird fill detector. Some actress from a 20s (1920s - just realized we now have to specify:) movie that had to specify the exact year since it wasn't even the most famous with that name?