#665 - "Stop Talking!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TRidgway

Post by TRidgway »

I'm new to MGWCC, and even newer to Muggles. (Hi!) This thing is stonewalling me.
What is this 'nudge' of which I have read?
I'm tardy, wig askew.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TRidgway wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 pm I'm new to MGWCC, and even newer to Muggles. (Hi!) This thing is stonewalling me.
What is this 'nudge' of which I have read?
Welcome! Glad you found us.

One feature of this board is the ability to use private messages to talk one-on-one with other solvers. We never post hints, spoilers, or nudges publicly. But you can ask for help from anyone who has posted here that they've solved (or 'beamed up') by sending them a private message. It's best to be specific about what kind of help you want - just a simple yes/no if you're on the right track or more specifics about where to start. It's also good to mention what ideas you've had and approaches you've tried.

If you want to chat with me, send me a note. (And remember to check back for responses.) If you're on a phone and the icons aren't labelled, private messages are just left of your name.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

OhhhhhKay. Got it. I wouldn’t say that was all THAT easy, so if you’re still struggling don’t feel too bad. (There are a lot of potential distractions!) It WAS fun finally figuring it out though — and thanks to AJK (Alan) for the PM to keep looking at it. A non-nudgey nudge.

Edit - yes and beam me up; I’m notoriously late to events so y’all just ignore my 11th hour arrival. Hope there’s some food left ...
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

sharkicicles wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm Done... easiest Week 4 ever!
No - that would be “Poetry in Motion” from late December!

I found this one appropriately challenging - though not as hard as last week’s.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I couldn't get the previous two MGWCCs, and for a while I wasn't getting this one either - I felt like I was losing my meta-powers. But a glass of wine with dinner unlocked some inspiration and now I'm back on the leaderboard.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Proud that I finally solved it but it took me awhile... spent wayyy too much time jamming a square peg into a round hole, I need to learn to move on... oh well, beam me up!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:55 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm Done... easiest Week 4 ever!
No - that would be “Poetry in Motion” from late December!

I found this one appropriately challenging - though not as hard as last week’s.
I actually didn't solve that one, but wasn't familiar with the particular poem.
Joe

Post by Joe »

That took way too damn long!! If you're still struggling, this one is very do-able. Happy to provide a nudge. Meantime, I have requested transport but haven't heard from Scotty yet.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Also - I just submitted my answer to this puzzle to the WSJ. Anyone ever done that before?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Joe wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 am Also - I just submitted my answer to this puzzle to the WSJ. Anyone ever done that before?
BTDT

I submitted the wsj answer to MGWCC. An email to Matt resolved that. Not sure that it works the other way around.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HOORAY - Solved it!!! I do not agree that this was all that easy because I went through about 100 different things before it hit me. It was early this AM after laying in bed for an hour thinking about it and then finally giving up the notion that I'd go back to sleep. I pondered it for another hour and then all of a sudden an idea I had early but abandoned did not look that silly anymore, I just had to apply it in the right place. So, easy no, satisfying yes. Of course now that I have it it all makes sense and is VERY evident, but even the hardest ones are once you know the route (OK, maybe not last week's but that seemed an anomaly).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

^ agreed, Dr.Tom! If you didn’t see “the obvious” early on, you could spend a lot of time on things that look awfully .. non-coincidental.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:10 am Step One took me a while.

Put it down and do other things. Then do that again.
I tell my students this all the time when solving a test. We skip a question if we're not sure and we're up against the clock for two reasons: 1. maybe something later in the test will trigger us or, more simply, 2. looking at something with fresh eyes helps.

That's what this one was for me, for sure. I think 2.5 is perfectly accurate, though I might lean it more toward 3. The last puzzle I think he cited that was "split" like that was Rising Force a few months ago, with the empty squares and BUBBLES as the right answer. He said some people thought it was like a Week 2 and others were completely flummoxed; this one could go likewise.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

"Deadline for MGWCC #665: Wednesday, March 3rd at noon ET

"Sheesh, very late notice for this but the deadline for MGWCC #665 is Wednesday, March 3rd at noon ET. It's pushed back a day again because of my late post.

"If this late notice affected your submission, please e-mail me at crosswordcontest@gmail.com .

"--Matt"
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I got the first part with no problem, but needed a nudge for step 2. Thank you!

Beam me up!
Cindy Heisler
Schep

Post by Schep »

For the sake of time, I’d like to run my starting point past someone if anyone is feeling charitable:) TIA!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Well, blissfully done!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

OK. I see things here, but can do nothing with what I see. If anyone is willing to dialog about this, it would be appreciated.

Edit: Thanks to a nudge, I should be beamed up with the next update.
Last edited by Jeremy Smith on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
burak

Post by burak »

Reading the comments, it sounds like this will be a "oh I should/could have followed that path!" puzzle for me but so far, all my rabbit holes got filled up with dirt quite fast and I'm pretty clueless. Still have 36 hours though!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:08 am
MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:10 am Step One took me a while.

Put it down and do other things. Then do that again.
I tell my students this all the time when solving a test. We skip a question if we're not sure and we're up against the clock for two reasons: 1. maybe something later in the test will trigger us or, more simply, 2. looking at something with fresh eyes helps.

That's what this one was for me, for sure. I think 2.5 is perfectly accurate, though I might lean it more toward 3. The last puzzle I think he cited that was "split" like that was Rising Force a few months ago, with the empty squares and BUBBLES as the right answer. He said some people thought it was like a Week 2 and others were completely flummoxed; this one could go likewise.
I feel it's even harder than a 3 but less than a 4. 3.25 if you will. (Full disclosure, I was given the answer by a friend, and I did not submit. I wouldn't have gotten it.)