#665 - "Stop Talking!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

This one's got me a bit flummoxed. Sometimes when you see a week 4 where the only early solvers are in the "red 100" club, you think, "well maybe I'm not good enough to get this." What's weird with this one, Adam Doctoroff is the only "100" solver out of the first 39. Then there's a scattering of 100s, but mostly "regular" people. At one point there's 42 regular solvers in a row -- no 100s -- and then a cluster of 100s... so it's hard for me to see what kind of meta this is. Not asking for nudge, either now or later, just making an observation.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Step One took me a while.

Put it down and do other things. Then do that again.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:10 am Step One took me a while.

Put it down and do other things. Then do that again.
Pretty certain I have step one... but good advice, and Lord knows I have enough other things to be doing.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 am This one's got me a bit flummoxed. Sometimes when you see a week 4 where the only early solvers are in the "red 100" club, you think, "well maybe I'm not good enough to get this." What's weird with this one, Adam Doctoroff is the only "100" solver out of the first 39. Then there's a scattering of 100s, but mostly "regular" people. At one point there's 42 regular solvers in a row -- no 100s -- and then a cluster of 100s... so it's hard for me to see what kind of meta this is. Not asking for nudge, either now or later, just making an observation.
"Regular" people? You mean my
10.jpg
counts for nothing? Or am I, as they say in the stores where I do my clothes shopping, "slightly irregular"?
Jay
gifo

Post by gifo »

On board. Whew.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Looking forward to Matt's comments, Friday.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 am This one's got me a bit flummoxed. Sometimes when you see a week 4 where the only early solvers are in the "red 100" club, you think, "well maybe I'm not good enough to get this." What's weird with this one, Adam Doctoroff is the only "100" solver out of the first 39. Then there's a scattering of 100s, but mostly "regular" people. At one point there's 42 regular solvers in a row -- no 100s -- and then a cluster of 100s... so it's hard for me to see what kind of meta this is. Not asking for nudge, either now or later, just making an observation.
"Regular" people? You mean my 10.jpgcounts for nothing? Or am I, as they say in the stores where I do my clothes shopping, "slightly irregular"?
Speaking as someone with a streak of 3, you're elite!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I’m back, baby! Beam me up!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

I could use a nudge please
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:28 pm Looking forward to Matt's comments, Friday.
Seems like Matt has been more terse recently. Even last week he didn't have much to say. Maybe the baby's sapping his energy. btdt.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I suspect the delayed release threw off people's solving schedules.

I'd say Matt's rating of 2.5 week difficulty is about right. I have beamed up.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh GREAT, another easy one - I'm doomed!

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

You know what really helps to solve the meta? Spelling the answers correctly. (facepalm)

Thanks for the nudge to trigger my incorrect spelling

Answer has been submitted.....waiting.....

Ah....beamed up.
Last edited by jhseeman on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Once again, an “easy” one is completely lost on me. I have somewhat forced 2 potential methods that yield 5 sets of letters (or multiple sets of 5 letters), but all is jibberish. I’m starting to wonder if I’m missing some required familiarity with something foreign to me, such as sportsing or a pop song or a movie. I’ll keep staring at the grid and clues, but really... if it’s “easy” and I haven’t seen it, is this a waste of good weekend down time? (That’s often the question right before the light dawns, but i have so little to go on right now I think I’m just not cut out for this one.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

This week I made a major investment and signed up for the MGWCC. With more than a little assistance from my fairy god mother, I have been beamed up and confirmed.
Attachments
Robert Stevens 21Feb27  7D Mark II 2432.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:34 pm Once again, an “easy” one is completely lost on me. I have somewhat forced 2 potential methods that yield 5 sets of letters (or multiple sets of 5 letters), but all is jibberish. I’m starting to wonder if I’m missing some required familiarity with something foreign to me, such as sportsing or a pop song or a movie. I’ll keep staring at the grid and clues, but really... if it’s “easy” and I haven’t seen it, is this a waste of good weekend down time? (That’s often the question right before the light dawns, but i have so little to go on right now I think I’m just not cut out for this one.)
I feel the same way most weeks 2 through 5...(including this week)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Done... easiest Week 4 ever!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Birnholz.jpg
Great meta, well done, but it’s chancy
To choose this one book, and I can’t see
The Post’s quality lit
Readers liking this bit.
The author’s not one that they fancy

The last phrases of lines 4 and 5 were originally somewhat differenc but I changed them for obvious reasons.
Jay
mel87

Post by mel87 »

Beam me up!