#664 - "Leading by Example"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Farewell, streak, I hardly knew ye. 🤣
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

JennyByrd wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 am Well, I got last week’s puzzle late (Monday), but was unable to submit due to the snowpocalypse in Houston and resulting power/internet/celllular outage. Hoping to restart my streak this week but these comments are concerning. Hope you are all having a nice weekend.
A sister in Austin sent me this, which I am sure is burning its share of the interwebs the past 24 hours:

and this...

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Hilarious: I just submitted my (85% certain answer) and Tom Petty’s “The Waiting” came on my Spotify radio.
😬
Edit: Beam me up! Whew!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it! Thanks to a muggle who confirmed what I was thinking. Probably saved me a day.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Having trouble closing the case on this one. I assume the deadline got pushed to Wed, in which case there's still plenty of time for us stragglers.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Sometimes I like to come here for inadvertently dropped clues when I can’t get started, but it seems like I’m not alone in that this week. I also thought maybe the website was broken (or not being updated regularly with new baby and all), but nope, just not a lot of people solving. I feel I’m in good company.
Matt / Flamingbear
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

1st week of me solving....ah got this easy
2nd week, overthinking it, nudge to back off, easy
3rd week....Reality reaches out and absolutely smacks me, dang it hurts.....I'd go down a rabbit hole...if I could see one.
hopefully being back home and having a nice big cup of coffee will help.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:17 pm We used to live in Darien—can’t say I miss the snow in times like these.
Oh, so you were right down the way from us! We go to Darien all the time. I don’t blame you for moving to an area where constant snow isn’t a regular occurrence! We love CT, but being from FL originally, the regular snowfall during certain parts of the year as opposed to rain is a bit jarring 😂😂😂
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Dplass wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:28 pm
KDubs wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:30 pm Whoa baby, not seeing a darn thing yet. We’ve gone down a few wrong paths so far, and are still staring and looking for new inspiration. I feel much better knowing a lot of people are having a hard time with it!

P.S. Lots of love to anyone dealing with the horrors of this tough winter! We’re in CT and it feels like it’s been snowing constantly for weeks, but we’re fortunate to have never lost power. And we don’t have kids (unless you count two miniature dachshunds and a kitten), so major props to parents making it work right now, including Mr. Gaffney!
Amen. Here in NY we've gotten snow I think 4 weeks in a row. And it feels like it's been below freezing for about 2 months.
Yes!! We’re about 20 miles from the NY border, so we share a lot of the same weather. It feels like it’s been endlessly snowing for months.. Although I’m sure it’s only been weeks, as you said! 😉😉😉
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

We loved Darien. It was the best community I have ever lived in—like one big family. However, my wife and I retired and with kids living in Texas and SoCal it made no sense to stay in Connecticut.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

I’m so happy to hear you loved it here, OldJudge! We’re officially in Norwalk and have been here about a year — we love our local Norwalk/Darien/Rowayton community so far! How wonderful you were able to move closer to your kids! ❤️❤️❤️ I wish our parents lived closer, but not sure we can convince them to leave FL for a place with so much snow, haha!
Davesteve

Post by Davesteve »

Alright mates, I'm out of idea and gonna start work here shortly. Anyone fancy a nudge or compare notes? Cheers
Brutus!
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

I've been noodling for a day and a half now with some workable-but-probably-wrong ideas. Would any of the few successful solvers be willing to offer some guidance?

Update: with a nudge from a kind soul I've gotten to the finish line. Whew!
Last edited by ellgee on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Deadline for MGWCC #664: Wednesday, February 24th at 12 Noon ET

"Dear MGWCC Solver,

"My apologies: I meant to note yesterday that the deadline for the current puzzle has been pushed back a day due to my late post. The contest deadline for MGWCC #664 is Wednesday, February 24th at 12 noon ET.

"--Matt"
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Willing to join forces with anyone else who's still completely 1-D (wrong metaphor for this topic but hey-ho) or will gladly take a friendly nudge!
-HB
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

No idea. Yet.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Pretty sure the deadline could be extended a good bit more and it wouldn't help me. :D
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Finally!

I really struggled with this one, but then got an idea while on my health walk today.
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gifo

Post by gifo »

On shore, assisted by a well-phrased nudge and someone blocking my wild rabbit-hole digging. Thanks to my secret helper.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

oof. this one is tricky. i'm not seeing it yet either.