#664 - "Leading by Example"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ricky

Post by ricky »

Got a lightbulb this morning, submitted... Wrong. If anyone could PM the answer I'd appreciate it
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

I'm so close. Need post-enlightenment.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:16 pm I'm so close. Need post-enlightenment.
AND THERE IT IS.

Awaiting confirmation...

Update: Confirmed. Sometimes you just have to tell someone you're close to get across the finish line...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

EDIT: I've deleted what I previously posted here. Sorry!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I've been down a few rabbit holes. A couple of 'em were big 'uns!

I feel like I'm close...I even have a Hail Mary ready to go. And yet I'm still in this darn red shirt planetside.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

I have two pages of ideas that haven't lead anywhere yet. This crew has been so kind to help me in the past. I am hoping someone is willing to communicate with me about this one.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

"This week's contest answer is a phrase comprised of two three-letter words."

On one forum (maybe this one, maybe WSJ) someone complimented the composer on using "comprise" correctly. I wonder what they woud say about this prompt.
Jay
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm "This week's contest answer is a phrase comprised of two three-letter words."

On one forum (maybe this one, maybe WSJ) someone complimented the composer on using "comprise" correctly. I wonder what they woud say about this prompt.
Exactly the same thought occurred to me! I was going to comment on it but I don't know now, somehow I'm not feeling very superior :-)
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Abandoned the Hail Mary guess for something I like much better. Waiting to find out.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:22 pm "This week's contest answer is a phrase comprised of two three-letter words."

My guess is that they would say of all the things in this world worth worrying about that is pretty far down the list.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

#58 on the Big Board! What what!!!

Beam me straight to Ten Forward please.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

I’m going to sleep on it another night and hope for some Tuesday afternoon inspiration for the solo solve... but it’s reassuring to know I can come here instead of pulling my hair out!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Uncle. Thanks to the folks who gave me hints/nudges!

But I'm throwing in the white flag on this one.
Priscilla

Post by Priscilla »

I have what must be the first step toward the finish line, but I feel like I'm not going to get any further on my own. I would appreciate any kind solvers who would be willing to provide a nudge.
mel87

Post by mel87 »

I have been working on this since Saturday and I am getting nowhere. Every mechanism I think I see doesn’t *quite* work. So many rabbit holes. Please, a nudge... I’m losing sleep!

edit: sorry if this isn’t following protocol—-it’s how I’ve asked for help on the WSJ board (and this board too, I think) before.
Last edited by mel87 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
architect

Post by architect »

Yeah, not seeing this. Oh I have had ideas, but nothing's yielding. Can I get a nudge?

---

Thanks, all good.
Last edited by architect on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

Nudge for me to, if possible. Too many hours gone, lol
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

The general protocol for nudges is that you pick someone at random who has solved. Send them a PM stating your observations and hopefully they will reply. This may have only been noted on the WSJ board previously.

I am fully aware that some or all of you will now PM me and I am ok with that.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Laura M wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 pm

Exactly the same thought occurred to me! I was going to comment on it but I don't know now, somehow I'm not feeling very superior :-)
It was on the WSJ thread I think. I refrained as well.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’ve thought about asking for a nudge, but I haven’t made any progress whatsoever. I think that puts me at the “give up and wait for tomorrow” phase.