#664 - "Leading by Example"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

Saw a possibility and submitted...

<refresh> <refresh> <refresh>

EDIT: Almost immediately after submitting, I realized that my mechanism couldn't possibly be right - for reasons TBA post-deadline. So I was fairly surprised and mortified to find myself on the leaderboard!
BlindSquirrel.jpg
I decided I had to go back to the puzzle and find the right path to the answer in order to earn that spot this week. I finally came up with "something". I'm not sure it's the route Matt intended, but it's a lot better than my first doozy.
Last edited by KayW on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Seadub

Post by Seadub »

Got it with a confirmation I was on the right track and a nudge. If that was a week 3, i'm not looking forward to week 4.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

What is protocol on streaks? If you are usually a solo solver (as am I), a) do nudges immediately from solo to joint solving and b) does that reset your own streak if you declare that you did a pair solve?

I play by the rules, haha, so I just want to make sure! I'm literally at a dead end, though, I have nothing.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Meg

Post by Meg »

MikeyG wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 pm What is protocol on streaks? If you are usually a solo solver (as am I), a) do nudges immediately from solo to joint solving and b) does that reset your own streak if you declare that you did a pair solve?

I play by the rules, haha, so I just want to make sure! I'm literally at a dead end, though, I have nothing.
I solve some metas alone and some with friends. My streak hasn’t changed. The difference is what level of swag you’re eligible for at the end of the year
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Meg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:16 pm
MikeyG wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:09 pm What is protocol on streaks? If you are usually a solo solver (as am I), a) do nudges immediately from solo to joint solving and b) does that reset your own streak if you declare that you did a pair solve?

I solve some metas alone and some with friends. My streak hasn’t changed. The difference is what level of swag you’re eligible for at the end of the year
GIMME MY SWAG
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:16 pm

Is there a clear statement somewhere about the swag drawings? My approach has been to not take hints for Matt's puzzles, because I like for my streak to reflect my actual streak. I guess I also would like to see a leaderboard of just solo solves, because I feel weird being on there when I didn't solve by myself. BUT...I also cannot express how much I love swag. That poll that was up a while back about whether we'd be into metas as much without the prizes? I was in the minority. I love metas, but all things being equal, I will totally spend my time on the swaggier ones. I know there's no way I'll be in the running for any solo swag, and if that means my only way to get a trinket is to ask for help....well, start checking your inboxes, folks! :lol:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I gave up my streak (I think around 74 or 79) a few weeks ago with the authors one... I had told myself that the streak wasn't all mine since I had gotten nudges for a couple along the way. In my opinion, if it was a team solve from the get-go, I would continue to count it as part of a streak; of course, checking that it wasn't a solo solve. Similarly, when I got help by someone's saying that I was on the right track or to abandon a rabbit hole, that could count (and also not a solo solve). But there were a couple times during that streak that the nudge was way more than I was looking at, and even though I took the nudge and solved it, I felt sick about continuing the streak, so I resolved that the next time I was really stuck, I would either figure it out myself or surrender. I surrendered last month, and it was surprising how good I felt that I had done the right thing.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:27 pm Is there a clear statement somewhere about the swag drawings? My approach has been to not take hints for Matt's puzzles, because I like for my streak to reflect my actual streak. I guess I also would like to see a leaderboard of just solo solves, because I feel weird being on there when I didn't solve by myself. BUT...I also cannot express how much I love swag. That poll that was up a while back about whether we'd be into metas as much without the prizes? I was in the minority. I love metas, but all things being equal, I will totally spend my time on the swaggier ones. I know there's no way I'll be in the running for any solo swag, and if that means my only way to get a trinket is to ask for help....well, start checking your inboxes, folks! :lol:
I don't think it's published, other than occasional comments in his weekly posts. As I recall, when Matt started the solo yes/no button, he said that only solo solves would qualify for yearly prizes. Apparently he changed his mind on that (or maybe I remember wrong - I'm too lazy to go back through all the old posts and look for it.)

The FAQ on his site currently says that you need 49 solves to get a prize. That is different from previous years, when 52 = gold, 50-51 = silver, and 48-49 = bronze. That may be related to the fact that this is a 53 Friday year, or he may be changing the system.

It was September or thereabouts last year when he announced the 2019 prizes. With a new baby in the house, I won't be surprised if it takes a good while this year too.

I'd also love to see a solos only leaderboard. Or it would be interesting, when he reports the number of solvers each week, to also see how many of them were solos. I don't really expect either though.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Still awaiting confirmation four hours later, but i'm sure I've got it. My original idea for step one had been correct but then I abandoned it because I didn't see what should have been obvious, wound up chasing an idea that was plausible but barely so. Two roads diverged in a Gaffney meta, I needed some advice on which one was betta.
Jay
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm I surrendered last month, and it was surprising how good I felt that I had done the right thing.
This one kicked my butt. I'm surrendering this week (after a 60 streak), and I'm looking forward to a week four coming up next week with absolutely no pressure to solve it. The streak angst was getting out of hand, and I feel a huge sense of relief.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm I surrendered last month, and it was surprising how good I felt that I had done the right thing.
This one kicked my butt. I'm surrendering this week (after a 60 streak), and I'm looking forward to a week four coming up next week with absolutely no pressure to solve it. The streak angst was getting out of hand, and I feel a huge sense of relief.
I definitely hear that. Two things: 1) I now don't mind answering a lot quicker -- I mean I was only beaten by Jangler this week, wow! and 2) next week will almost certainly not be a typical week 4; almost always when he's surprised at how tough a Week 3 is, he eases up a bit on the next Week 4.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I would take a nudge, if someone would be gracious enough to provide one. I've gotten nowhere fast.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Seadub wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 pm Got it with a confirmation I was on the right track and a nudge. If that was a week 3, i'm not looking forward to week 4.
This really played like a week 4 or 5 for me.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Reluctantly declaring myself in TMart's camp. Congrats to the solvers, especially Al!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Well, I’ve requested beam up. Waiting to see if I end up back on the Enterprise or if my atoms get scattered all over space. I’ve been down too many rabbit holes to feel confident even though it seems good.

The submission form was odd. It seemed to take my entry, but then said submissions are closed, but when I tried again said I’d already submitted. Hopefully Matt will update when Ada wakes him up in the middle of the night. If I’m not on either list tomorrow morning, I’ll email him.

Congratulations Al on that #2 spot!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

I think I got unstuck! Awaiting confirmation but reasonably confident somehow.
-Tamara
Frausty

Post by Frausty »

This is demoralizing . . . pretty sure I’m going down the wrong path, but would appreciate if someone could confirm I’m headed in the wrong direction
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

This streak thing is driving me batty! (Then again, if one your biggest problems is your MGWCC streak, life can't be all that bad.)

I've been feeling guilty about my MGWCC streak for months, since, I don't know, maybe up to 20% of my solves have been with nudges. Maybe even a shove once or thrice. I was lost on MGWCC this week, ready to throw in the towel and end the streak, but I was also intrigued by the puzzle, so I asked a solver for a slight nudge -- then, almost to my surprise, I figured out the puzzle! So I don't feel TOO guilty about this week; it was only a slight nudge. BUT ... for me, the guilt is still sometimes there. So the next time I'm lost ... well, we'll see.

I suppose another way would be to get nowhere, take the nudge, solve the puzzle, feel satisfied -- but don't submit. I'll ponder that.

I'm just happy that Matt is distinguishing solo solves from group solves. I can sleep at night!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well I couldn't bring myself to ask for a hint. I'll just be glad I got a little Matt swag before he gave up the weekly prizes. The other reason I don't like to get hints is that I always believe I still have a chance for an epiphany, right up to the deadline. Doesn't usually happen, but I've pulled off a couple close ones.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Could use a nudge or at least a "your down the right rabbit hole" please.