#661 - "Palimpsest"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I could really use a small nudge on this, if someone would be so kind.
Cindy Heisler
stmv

Post by stmv »

Due to some work stuff I couldn't get to this until today, which had me worried, as I was also hoping to get my first streak of 10 in a row. After mulling it over for a while I had a flash of insight, which turned out to be correct, and I'm on the board, yay. This makes my weekend worthwhile :-).
markhr

Post by markhr »

Beamed up last night. I finally have a blue number next to my name. We'll see how long that lasts.
An awesome puzzle from Matt. As usual, it seemed more logical after the fact.
Seadub

Post by Seadub »

Beam me up. Thanks to hashbrown for confirming I was not in a barren rabbit hole and the nudge.
TMart

Post by TMart »

TMart wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:43 pm I am at that dreaded point where I have the answer, which fits almost perfectly, but still have to convince myself that itโ€™s the answer.
Beam me up. That was pretty amazing.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Orsys wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 pm How does one embed a spoiler in a PM?
Use this code (ignore "CODE: SELECT ALL"):

Code: Select all

[spoiler] STUFF, INCLUDING PICTURES, YOU WANT TO HIDE BEHIND THE BUTTON [/spoiler] 
(To use codes you see in posts & PMs, click on the quotation mark icon at top right of the post or PM, which will open a new post or PM dialog box, embedding the code used.)
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
KayW

Post by KayW »

HeadinHome wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:20 am I donโ€™t think what Iโ€™m about to say is a spoiler, but if you donโ€™t want to risk it, stop reading now. (I donโ€™t know how to type in that spoiler label thing โ€” somebody post a tutorial!)
Orsys wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 pm How does one embed a spoiler in a PM?
I was really surprised this was not already in the FAQ (unless I missed it). So I added a short post here:

How to create a spoiler button

(edit: oops. Joe types faster than me. Well better to post twice than not at all)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Well, thanks to the kind intervention of several Muggles I am now beamed up! Many thanks to all the folks who reached out and helped guide me out of the fog. :) Hope to be able to return the favor if I happen to luck into an early answer sometime. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I could use a nudge after going down too many rabbit holes with no apparent success.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally looking at this as I have been playing nursemaid to husband and his new hip. I think I see a path, but will struggle on through tomorrow if I have time.
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

JennyByrd wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:45 pm Iโ€™ve tried a number of rabbit trails, but not found any actual rabbits. Going to set it aside and play internet cards (Pitch) with friends and hope for an aha moment in the morning.

Can someone explain why we get beamed up on this puzzle, but land on the beach in the WSJ? There has to be a backstory....
When we first started this thread, I suggested a Star Trek theme to keep it separate from the Love Boat theme on WSJ.
Heidi
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Hello,
I'm new to this community and reaching out for a nudge (been involved in all kinds of puzzling activities on my own before this - hitting some ceilings and looking to expand horizons). I've started numerous rabbit holes on this one - some seem like they may be promising - but not quite at 'aha' yet. Thanks!
-Tamara
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

BrennerTJ wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:11 pm Hello,
I'm new to this community and reaching out for a nudge (been involved in all kinds of puzzling activities on my own before this - hitting some ceilings and looking to expand horizons). I've started numerous rabbit holes on this one - some seem like they may be promising - but not quite at 'aha' yet. Thanks!
Wish I could help you out, but all I have are rabbit holes, myself. I just stopped in to welcome you to the group. It is a great bunch of folks.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I have a solid path to step one and have two pms out there waiting for response as I'm seeking a nudge for the next step.

So far, a pretty difficult MattG puzzle, but not unexpected.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

BrennerTJ wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:11 pm Hello,
Thanks very much for the couple of responses. I am finding that I'm currently unable to reply via PM - getting an error message - hopefully this will get sorted soon!
-Tamara
ajk

Post by ajk »

BrennerTJ wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:58 pm Thanks very much for the couple of responses. I am finding that I'm currently unable to reply via PM - getting an error message - hopefully this will get sorted soon!
At least one got through! :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Domini

Post by Domini »

Not ready for a nudge, but Iโ€™d love if someone were willing to answer some yes no questionsโ€”or to chat with someone who hasnโ€™t solved it yet to exchange ideas
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm locked in the beam and heading to the ship.

Wow, thanks for the help.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:53 pm
Use this code (ignore "CODE: SELECT ALL"):

Code: Select all

[spoiler] STUFF, INCLUDING PICTURES, YOU WANT TO HIDE BEHIND THE BUTTON [/spoiler] 
(To use codes you see in posts & PMs, click on the quotation mark icon at top right of the post or PM, which will open a new post or PM dialog box, embedding the code used.)
Have already made us of this handy tip. Thanks. :)
pamster

Post by pamster »

Finally! The last step almost defeated me, for no good reason. Lack of coffee, maybe?