#661 - "Palimpsest"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

After a kind nudge and encouragement from Chris, I was able to solve it. I got to the last step fairly quickly, but couldn’t get over the hump for the longest time. In the end, I realized it was the easiest step of all. This puzzle made me hope the NSA or the FBI isn’t tracking my google searches.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I would very much appreciate a nudge
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed up! Like others, stuck after step 1 for far too long (I did seek confirmation that I was on the right track). Sat down after leaving it all day, and it just came to me. To say that the construction was brilliant would be redundant, but there it is. Great one Matt.
Attachments
download.jpg
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Wow. Thanks to a nudge from Cbarbee002, I’m into the disintegration beam and on my way to the bridge. What a fantastic puzzle.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

It looks like my mini-streak is coming to an end. I’ve had many ideas about the parenthetical numbers but none pan out. I’d appreciate a small nudge, but if not, I’ve got a hail mary ready, although I can’t backsolve to it
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

i will take a nudge here. maybe i will have time in the morning to give this a try. Thanks!
Domini

Post by Domini »

Beam me up!

I needed a small nudge, which confirmed my first instinct from Friday that I stopped working on was right 🤦‍♂️ While this is a great and interesting puzzle, I do have a negative thought that I’ll share after noon
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well even with a nudge I could not move off square one. Sometimes the META Gods are like that, they will just not let me see the light. I know I'll be amazed at the answer and completely aggravated with myself for not seeing it after what I am sure was the perfect nudge. Unfortunately I let work get in the way of solving a perfectly good META because I probably spent a total of 90 minutes on this one and that is WAY too little for me. Congrats to all those who solved.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ricky

Post by ricky »

NUDGE NEEDED ASAP

I have worked insanely hard on this one and I have a million pieces but I'm missing something about how to put them together.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ricky wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:34 am NUDGE NEEDED ASAP

I have worked insanely hard on this one and I have a million pieces but I'm missing something about how to put them together.
Ditto. And I'll be honest with myself as to whether to submit or not.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

ajk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:53 pm
Use this code (ignore "CODE: SELECT ALL"):

Code: Select all

[spoiler] STUFF, INCLUDING PICTURES, YOU WANT TO HIDE BEHIND THE BUTTON [/spoiler] 
(To use codes you see in posts & PMs, click on the quotation mark icon at top right of the post or PM, which will open a new post or PM dialog box, embedding the code used.)
Have already made use of this handy tip. Thanks. :)
Vouching for excellent use. Thanks for the assist!
-Tamara
architect

Post by architect »

Long time reader, first time poster. Registered just for this puzzle.

Am badly stuck, could use a nudge. Have a sensible Hail Mary, but no idea how to get to it. Have already Wikipediaed myself silly.

EDIT:
Got it now. Thanks for the help. I like the mechanic, just not the implementation.
Last edited by architect on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

My New Years resolution to solve every meta this year is already in danger lol... any last-minute nudges available?

EDIT: What a wonderful forum this is! I was nudged perfectly towards a glorious aha moment and a renewed confidence lol... only took 4 days and 2 full legal pad pages of chicken scratches. Beam me up!
Last edited by jimmyd on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A dream: I am the size of a child, not even five feet tall. In front of me, several people, their backs to me, are watching some kind of performance. They are oohing and aaahing, applauding, saying things like, “Oh my God, did you see that?” But I cannot see it. I try to make my way to a place where I too can see, but no matter how hard I try I cannot find an opening.

The sense of frustration is palpable, painful. Something so amazing is happening and I cannot share in the delight of appreciating it. Then a sweet. gray-haired lady who had gotten there early points to a spot where I might be able to start making my way through. I move around, and slowly, slowly I work my way to a point where I too can see the performer , a very ordinary-looking man, but he is doing increadible things. It’s a combination of a mentalist magic act— memory and mind reading — and a juggling act with seven balls,

Like the others, I too am amazed, and finally I say, “Beam me up.”
Last edited by Bird Lives on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
breadbasket

Post by breadbasket »

Stuck for a few days now, a gentle nudge is greatly appreciated...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Finally got it, but only because of a lot of people who offered their nudges. Not submitting, of course, but what a beautiful puzzle. And thanks again to my terrific Muggle friends.
Frausty

Post by Frausty »

Joining the chorus: would appreciate the gentlest of nudges if anyone has a few minutes to spare
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

My back still hurts from the significant shove I got. But that was enough to get me on board. Does anyone have some extra Ibuprofen?
Last edited by Prozach on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:17 am Finally got it, but only because of a lot of people who offered their nudges. Not submitting, of course, but what a beautiful puzzle. And thanks again to my terrific Muggle friends.
Why not use the Solo Solve option and check "No"?
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 am
Al Sisti wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:17 am Finally got it, but only because of a lot of people who offered their nudges. Not submitting, of course, but what a beautiful puzzle. And thanks again to my terrific Muggle friends.
Why not use the Solo Solve option and check "No"?
As it turns out, I did start to look at the correct mechanism but made one incorrect decision and when nothing came of it, I left it to chase other approaches... and if that was the only mechanism I tried and the nudge(s) was/were just to say "Yeah, you're on the right path; keep at it," I probably would have submitted. But I couldn't in good conscience say I would have gotten to the end, given where I was and how far back in my notebook the nudge(s) had to take me.