#661 - "Palimpsest"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 pm Hi all. Is anyone aware of a post with an approach to numbers in parentheses? I looked and can’t find one. Of course I have many ideas however none panning out.

Thanks and stay well
People generally don't post their approaches.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I’ve tried a number of rabbit trails, but not found any actual rabbits. Going to set it aside and play internet cards (Pitch) with friends and hope for an aha moment in the morning.

Can someone explain why we get beamed up on this puzzle, but land on the beach in the WSJ? There has to be a backstory....
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I can’t believe I’m saying this but, beam me up! And I figured it out all by myself! 😊
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dplass wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:31 pm
Streroto wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 pm Hi all. Is anyone aware of a post with an approach to numbers in parentheses? I looked and can’t find one. Of course I have many ideas however none panning out.

Thanks and stay well
I interpreted this as a request for posts dealing with the various ways that numbers in clues might be used in metas, as might be posted in Hints for Solving Meta Contests.

EDIT: Hector addresses this more eloquently & clearly, immediately below. The request is not for this particular puzzle.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks and stay well
No, it's not that! Whatever can be shared about solving advice has been and continues to be posted on here. Tips and strategies are useful and have been generously offered. But especially on a Gaffney week 5, it's not gonna be some standard/well-known thing, easily trotted out, familiar even to long-time, savvy solvers. You'll need imagination and, let's face it, luck to get it (which I frequently haven't done). And knowing that is important: there's gonna be something unexpected here. By far most subscribers don't solve week 5s. Even or especially when I'm among them, that is a big part of the draw for me.
Last edited by Hector on Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks and stay well
I interpreted this as a request for posts dealing with the various ways that numbers in clues might be used in metas, as might be posted in Hints for Solving Meta Contests.
OK, thanks for clarifying.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks and stay well
This is a good idea. I'll work on it, starting with Joe's awesome posts of all previous WSJ solutions and then as many others as I have time/patience to look for, and try to have something posted before 4PM Thursday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks and stay well
This is a good idea. I'll work on it, starting with Joe's awesome posts of all previous WSJ solutions and then as many others as I have time/patience to look for, and try to have something posted before 4PM Thursday.
Past WSJCC Solutions exist due to steveb who collected, saved, and makes available every PDF of WSJ Contest Crosswords & their solutions. See the links to his database at the top of every page of the solutions archives.

Having years of every original blank puzzle to solve is an incredible resource Steve makes available to muggles.

Thank you, Steve!

Thank you, too, Barbara!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Dplass wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:51 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:32 pm

OK, thanks for clarifying.
Yes that is what I was suggesting. I looked through all of those and found none so thanks Barbara for offering I think it will be a useful addition to our archive. Joe yes I am aware of the resource. Thanks

Stay well all
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

This is about the time when the balance between two thoughts reaches the tipping point. Those thoughts:

1. All these other people have solved it. Maybe if you keep staring at it, you'll see it too.
2. Do you really want to be distracted from everything else for the entire weekend instead of asking someone for a nudge?
Jay
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I don’t think what I’m about to say is a spoiler, but if you don’t want to risk it, stop reading now. (I don’t know how to type in that spoiler label thing — somebody post a tutorial!)

To Bird Lives’ point, this puzzle is probably best solved by walking away from it and letting it percolate. The various steps came to me when I was doing other things but kinda still thinking about it: hmm.. what if I tried THIS? (Goes back to puzzle and tries; fails; goes on with day until next idea occurs.). And there were multiple dawnings.

This process won’t suit those who are keen to appear on the top end of the Gaffney solvers roster. (Not that that’s your concern, Bird. I know the feeling of being unable to focus on anything else til you get a solution, no matter the timing!)

Personally, I had to let the time factor go, along with the desire to get on page one of the WSJ muggles page. It was a good zen-like exercise to decide that I can’t plan my day around the moment the puzzle comes out, furiously fill the grid, and then pound my head like Winnie the Pooh until I have it. (“Think! Think! Think!”). That just sucks the enjoyment out, for me. (So, clearly not a type-A!). Much more enjoyable is to give things time to percolate—and I enjoy doing that in the “company” of all of you via this forum!

BTW - Same approach applies to my design process (I’m an architectural designer.). Wish there were as enjoyable a discussion board for THAT!
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, having stared at this thing many times during many different sessions I still don't think I've even identified more than half a rabbit hole to explore, let alone the path to enlightenment. So if someone feels like practicing their how-to-nudge-a-dolt-that-can't-even-get-started skills, such efforts would be welcomed. But otherwise I'll just return to my pre-forum posture of understanding that week 5s are beyond me. :D
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

What kind of evil genius concocts a puzzle like this AND MAKES IT WORK?

Perfectly! All the way down to ... (I won't say, so as not to spoil. And I suppose I can think of even one more little way it would have crossed the line into absolutely inhuman.)

COOL!

Beam me up! Finally, slowly, and painfully. Like when Kirk gets stuck in between and gets all scrambled up.

I needed a couple of nudges to get me out of deep rabbit holes and pointed away to a thought that might actually work. I don't feel too badly about submitting (as a group solve) because something like the first step did occur to me early on; I just didn't follow through on it. (Grrr!!! How many times have I had to say this?)

To all still struggling, it IS do-able. An entirely fair meta puzzle, in my view. I can see why some others here are saying "Not that hard, really" -- yes, not that hard, if you happen upon the right idea early on. Which I can easily see how you would.

I can be available as a second-hand nudger, if anyone needs. (Though note: I'll be in and away the rest of the day.)
TMart

Post by TMart »

I am at that dreaded point where I have the answer, which fits almost perfectly, but still have to convince myself that it’s the answer.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Fellow muggles, after declaring this a KAS 5 I took a final look and had an aha moment. That led to another. I am thrilled to say I have solved my first ever MGWCC week 5!!! As many of you have stated this is brilliant. Matt is a genius.

Stay well all!!!
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I would appreciate a gentle nudge or a confirmation/denial that I have a few workable ideas. I have been preoccupied at work all weekend!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

same, I have a few empty rabbit warrens, nothing that's panning out.

I have a 7 letter SWAG and have no shame in submitting it. It makes sense, but I can't justify it from the grid nor the clues (nor the numbers in those clues).

A nudge would be great, also a "I'd like to bounce this possible solution off you" person, please?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

How does one embed a spoiler in a PM?
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Beam me up! Thanks to Chris and Meg for helping to find the right thread to pull so everything could unravel.
-HB
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Beam me up!

Wow that was a slog - a really fun one with a great aha moment - but still a lot of hours spent staring before it finally clicked. Clever one.