#660 - "Opposites Attract"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
stmv

Post by stmv »

Got it. I found both the puzzle and the meta to be pretty difficult, but a flash of inspiration got me there.
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Challenging fill and got plenty of meta-based burrows to explore. Let's see where Sunday takes me...
-HB
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

stmv wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:54 pm Got it. I found both the puzzle and the meta to be pretty difficult, but a flash of inspiration got me there.
Yeah, even the fill was a bit crunchy on this one!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Agree fill was challenging especially NE corner for me. No idea about meta however.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Done. Very Clever, and I’m thrilled to be in the top 100. Will never happen again
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Great construction - only one small misstep before getting the answer.

Interesting on the achievements.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Incredible puzzle!
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Got it finally after going down a wrong path that looked VERY promising, but led to a dead end. Another great idea well realized from Matt!
Eckless

Post by Eckless »

mheverson wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:50 pm Instant beam up on this one. Still can't figure out step two on the Weekly WSJ :(
If it makes you feel better, I'm in exactly the same boat. Got this one quickly, and have a clear "step one" on the WSJ but no idea where to go forward. Apparently I speak Gaffneyan fluently, but my Shenkian needs work. :)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

grid solved, first step in the solution discovered and I'm already amazed by this puzzle.

still trying to determine next step(s).

But WSJ - was done very quickly. Amazing how that works for different solvers, one immediate and the other a head scratching exercise.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Same for me, MajordomoTom. I have the first step in this puzzle and I thought “holy crap”. How does one construct something like this? Don’t know where to go from here but, wow.

I also felt WSJ was fairly easy but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Now that was an aha to savor.

I know others are saying it, but to repeat: How does Matt do it? Wow!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Beam me up. A great meta - even once I figured out the mechanism, it took a while to work through it.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

At first glance, I see what must be the first step. But I have no idea how to get from that to the meta, though I figure it must have something to do with the title.

Update 11:30 (about an hour later). Beam me up. Not yet confirmed but has to be.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solved the WSJCC but no inspiration yet on MG. People are proclaiming the ease with which they solved and I cannot even see the "hook". I'll try on Sunday when I'm fresher and maybe divine providence will help?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Beam me up. Tough grid. Fun solve once I got my head around it.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Very tough grid. I had to cheat, I admit it. Need to print and hilight before any progress might be made on the meta. Seriously don't know how people can see metas so quickly...lol. Maybe next year Matt should offer a discounted subscription for idiots like me who can't get past week 3.

UPDATE: Beamed up.
Last edited by Dplass on Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it!!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Have what I think must be the first step, but not much else. Further than I often get on a week 4. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer