#659 - "Blank Stares"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Well I submitted but the updated leader board does not list me, so I guess my answer was not correct.
stmv

Post by stmv »

Again a late start, but I'm pretty sure that I got the right answer; if so, inspiration struck while I was taking a shower.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I do not know how Matt does it.

I almost drew a blank with this one (har har) but had an epiphany.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

One to transport...I am one who didn’t understand the title, at least not the whole title. Enjoyed the puzzle, though and thought it was clever. Still treading water with WSJ.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Been fiddling around waiting for confirmation before saying it: BEAM ME UP! Enjoyed each step of this one.. I KNEW something funny was going on!

Streak of 4 now because of December’s week-4 “gift” (the fairly easy one based on Night Before Christmas). To see that “10” beside my name would be gratifying for this relative newbie!

I too would like the title explained.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Agree 100%er. One letter I don’t understand, even my wife does not get and she is encyclopedic on the subject so will have to wait for Tuesday to discuss that.

Meanwhile I changed out of my red shirt and am ready to energize.

MGWCC and WSJCC behind me, off to non-meta weekend grids

Stay well all!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Oops my error figured it out. Great grid and meta agree about Matt’s brilliance!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Superb stuff. Have a theory about the title but can wait until Tuesday.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I found that one quite tough. But done and will enjoy the included beverages.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Great one. Beamed up.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

This one came quite easily for some reason.

Energize.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Was coming here for a nudge, but found the mechanism and just awaiting the proof. Beamed up I presume.
Matt / Flamingbear
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A mistake filling in the GRID led me to the answer. I think I have the Title figured out, but I'll be happy if it is just the META I have figured out. Waiting for confirmation, and it is possible I missed something, but I feel pretty confident. This would be a good week, so far 2 for 2 on WSJCC and MGWCC (I hope) and about 0.5 on MMM and MEOW, both of which I am tussling with.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ReB

Post by ReB »

I've got the mechanism solved but so far can't move from that to the answer. Perhaps I'm overlooking a key clue elsewhere.
mel87

Post by mel87 »

Beam me up!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Phew, got it! (FWIW, don't really get the title, either.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 pm A mistake filling in the GRID led me to the answer. I think I have the Title figured out, but I'll be happy if it is just the META I have figured out. Waiting for confirmation, and it is possible I missed something, but I feel pretty confident. This would be a good week, so far 2 for 2 on WSJCC and MGWCC (I hope) and about 0.5 on MMM and MEOW, both of which I am tussling with.
EDIT: Confirmed #357, I think I am higher up than last week! Still any solve is a good solve and when you literally NEVER have an expectation of being in the top 10 a finish before Tuesday at noon is as good as any other. So.....
beemer me.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I'm riding in Tom's Beemer, in more ways than one! Energize!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

tonyrobots wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:34 pm Phew, got it! (FWIW, don't really get the title, either.)
I can't decide if those of us who solved without understanding the title should get bonus points for doing it the hard way or demerits for missing a part of the gestalt.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

I am so close to the solve but can't quite finish. Hoping for post enlightenment!