#658 - "Hidden Power"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yup - seems too easy, but I’ll say beam me up!
The other Wendy. :roll:
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Solved and confirmed. I also do not fully appreciate the intent of the title. I look forward to learning more in the upcoming year. Beam me up; but please use the alpha waves. I think I'm allergic to the microwaves.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm ON THE BORAD! Woo Hoo! I'm #1 - well OKAY, I suppose it is more correct to say I am #521, but I was playing my cards right and just got the deck out of there....
You were pacing yourself. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:25 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm ON THE BORAD! Woo Hoo! I'm #1 - well OKAY, I suppose it is more correct to say I am #521, but I was playing my cards right and just got the deck out of there....
You were pacing yourself. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...
Al, that is sick, sick, sick. I love it!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Speaking of the second mouse getting the cheese, I was sitting at the pool with my bulldog, Yogi, today. A bird that had a smaller dead bird in it’s mouth flew near the pool and Yogi ran after it. The bird must have panicked and it dropped the dead bird (which had its’ head bitten off) and Yogi grabbed it. I had to chase him for about five minutes to get him to drop the decapitated bird so I could get rid of it before he tried to eat it. 🤮
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:25 am
Mmmm, GOUDA! Oh, and of course I am not on the BORAD, or the BORAT, or the 20 Mule Team BORAX but the BOARD. In my excitement I appear to have transposed a letter.

So if BORAD is a transposed letter, is
cisposed.jpg
a CIS posed letter?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Beamed up :)
stmv

Post by stmv »

Now that the deadline has passed, can someone explain what the "Hidden Power" title has to do with the meta? (joon's writeup on Crossword Fiend doesn't address it.)
Meg

Post by Meg »

stmv wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm Now that the deadline has passed, can someone explain what the "Hidden Power" title has to do with the meta? (joon's writeup on Crossword Fiend doesn't address it.)
I sort of guessed that a capital is like the seat of Power in a country and Hidden is obvious. Any other interpretations?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.