#656 - "Poetry in Motion"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Kirk: "We need some more (brain) power Scotty!"
Scott: "I'm giving her all she's got sir, but if I push these impulse(s) . . . . too hard in the condition they're in, they'll blow apart."

Stuck after step 1. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that I like the way the theme hangs together though. Will get there.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! Nice! I think I noticed things in the reverse order from what was intended, but it worked out.

Ending the year on a streak of 18, with 49 for the year, which seems way too high! I'll have to look back at my comments here to see if there was a mistake somehow.

Edit: Huh, I guess it's accurate! I missed #629, #635 and #638.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

I couldn't solve this this week 4 puzzle alone, or at least it seemed that way. Found some interesting factoids but no clear answer to other obvious questions (GAP?). So I paired with a buddy, RNR. No, not Red Nosed Reindeer! We made satisfactory progress and came to what we believe is the answer. I sent in the answer with a NO answer to the "Individual solve?" box. As I do not know how the leaderboard works if you check this box, I may have to wait for noon on Tuesday to check the answer on CrosswordFiend.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

mpmanning wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:04 pm I couldn't solve this this week 4 puzzle alone, or at least it seemed that way. Found some interesting factoids but no clear answer to other obvious questions (GAP?). So I paired with a buddy, RNR. No, not Red Nosed Reindeer! We made satisfactory progress and came to what we believe is the answer. I sent in the answer with a NO answer to the "Individual solve?" box. As I do not know how the leaderboard works if you check this box, I may have to wait for noon on Tuesday to check the answer on CrosswordFiend.
The leader board works the same no matter solo solve or not. If he updates and you are not on the board check the overall tab. If you are there and not in the this week tab, you submitted an incorrect answer.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Beam me up, after some nudges from a few kind strangers.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up. Happy holidays all.
But don’t get too comfortable, January has 5 Fridays.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Beam me up! Got it last night, and I agree it didn't seem nearly as hard as a normal week 4.

Also, this seems appropriate for here: https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2 ... -pandemic/
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

After a confirmatory nudge re direction, I can confirm that the Dilithium Crystals (aka Blantons) held up and I was successfully beamed up.
burak

Post by burak »

MMM and WSJCC were very quick solves for me this week, but with this one I'm not seeing what others are seeing yet. I feel like I'll solve this one if/when I make sense of the title.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Submitted my (correct) answer yesterday but forgot to post here. I saw and identified all the breadcrumbs early (because of my 5th-grade teacher..) and only noticed the confirmation of same as I was looking for the next step. Clever puzzle, and I’m thinking it was probably fun to construct!

Beam me up!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Beamed up!
hashbrown

Post by hashbrown »

Been staring at my filled grid and list of clues since Christmas Day - would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a small nudge on where to get started please.

E: Beam me up!
Last edited by hashbrown on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-HB
burak

Post by burak »

burak wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:52 am MMM and WSJCC were very quick solves for me this week, but with this one I'm not seeing what others are seeing yet. I feel like I'll solve this one if/when I make sense of the title.
I went directly to Step 2, went back to Step 1 and then forward again. I was confused as to what the click would be, but when you get it, you'll get it. Cute puzzle!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I think this week 4 puzzle was a gift! Done and beamed up!
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I think I’m done. Seems legitimate, just waiting for confirmation. It must be an easy week 4, or at least in my wheel house. Or I have submitted the wrong answer.

Edit. It was an easier week four puzzle 🙌
Matt / Flamingbear
LKushner

Post by LKushner »

Got the answer. Will never hang my stocking by the fireplace again!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Beam me up, pending confirmation. Week 3 I couldn't get even after I knew the answer, but this one I got before I finished the grid. Going to celebrate this as well as the Chiefs clinching top seed with a Martin City Brewing Co. Kentucky Friar.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joining the beamed-up crowd and happy to be here. The holiday allowed me to make this puzzle harder than it should have been. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Having finally solved, I can take it easy with alls y'alls.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
AB943

Post by AB943 »

I'm in a similar state to last week, where I have step 1 but would appreciate a nudge. My 2020 MGWCC was going well until this meta and the last one, frustratingly.

Edit: never mind, I got it. Quite a few blind alleys I went down!
mel87

Post by mel87 »

Been staring at this all weekend trying to figure it out—would appreciate ANY nudges!

EDIT: beam me up!