#695 - "Spider Dream"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:52 am OK, I'm going to take the plunge for a solo solve. If nothing else, I'll get the "same wrong answer submitted by someone else" badge.
Unbelievably (to me, anyway), no one has submitted a wrong answer yet. And still, I have nothing.
Oh, Al, just wait til the next leaderboard update; I may be the first. (We're number one!)
Looks like you were right, Wendy. Er, wrong...Ha!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Anyone willing to nudge? I have limited time and can't find a starting point.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Submitted something that was almost certainly wrong because I had to stop the hamster wheel in my brain :-) It was a nice aha for step one but I couldn't get any farther.

Edit: Other comments (I don't read before submitting) suggest that there's a possibility I could have the right answer after all. I guess I'm in transporter limbo...

Edit 2: And I'm on the board, huh. All I'll say is I'm really glad I didn't spend the entire weekend trying to find a better answer!
Last edited by Laura M on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I must say, I feel sort of ridiculous about my MGWCC streak because I’ve gotten nudges in at least a quarter of my solves. A reasonable guesstimate is 30 percent. I’m very glad that Matt distinguishes solo from group.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I have an answer that makes perfect sense to me but
1) it doesn’t have much confirmation [] that I can see and
2) there are two ways I could submit it ([]).

If that second point makes sense to anyone who has solved and you can help me decide which way to write it, I’d love a pm!!

[too-specific solving strategies redacted]

Thanks whoever edited the post for possible spoiler (I can see it mighta been too specific) - and thanks for several muggle messages helping me with my quandary. Still mulling this one over and will pull the trigger soon I think.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Man alive, I'm getting slammed on these lately (nothing yet - but no nudges; I want to try to see if inspiration strikes). I breathed a sigh of relief realizing the next Friday is October 1 and not September 30.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I appreciated having the leaderboard available this week. After much staring, I finally noticed something yesterday, but I wanted to sleep on it before submitting. Seeing 107 submissions and not a single one incorrect gave me enough confidence that I do have the answer; if I were just part way there, someone else would have submitted that too. I hope. Now just waiting for an update to be really sure 🤞
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Beamed up. What everybody else already said.
-Tamara
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:53 am I appreciated having the leaderboard available this week. After much staring, I finally noticed something yesterday, but I wanted to sleep on it before submitting. Seeing 107 submissions and not a single one incorrect gave me enough confidence that I do have the answer; if I were just part way there, someone else would have submitted that too. I hope. Now just waiting for an update to be really sure 🤞
I wonder if he’s accepting some “close enough” ones ?

(Submitted what I had and confirmed by other muggles that it will pass muster. Not on the official board yet, but confident.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Hmmmm. I have an idea but it’s not a solid click. Other than that however I have nothing. Will obsess a bit more I guess.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Beamed up at #44. This one has many red herrings (as usual, he grumbled). I don't think I'd have solved this one nearly as quickly if I hadn't stuck my printed copy in my pocket and pulled it out to look at it a little later without access to the screenful of (totally misguided) notes back on my laptop. At some point a few minutes later the lightbulb came on and I had the answer about ten seconds after that.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beamed up with help from Meg. Not sure how I feel about this one.
Heidi
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. Spent some time exploring a few rabbit holes -- as usual!
Cindy Heisler
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

OK - thanks to our cruise director and a passed along hint I believe I have it. Awaiting leader board update for confirmation. Hitting myself in the head for not having thought of the "thing to do".
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

I'm sure I'm missing something glaringly obvious, but I'm not seeing a starting point. A gentle nudge would be appreciated!
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Well, the Chiefs lost another game and I've been stuck finding a path into this one. Any nudge would help my glum afternoon.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

I am in need of a little nudge to start me off, as I got nothing.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm going for the only thing I have (as opposed to all the possible solutions I don't have).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I don't even have a toe hold on this one.

On the other hand, I know a lot more about Sir Paul's Twitter account than I did last week.
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

OK, starting to get desperate. If I could confirm in PMs with someone that the most basic starting place I'm coming from is at least on the right path, that'd be awesome.