#695 - "Spider Dream"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Title suggestion:

๐ŸŽถ It's the next best thing to Matt's good meta, Bird Lives makes it good! ๐ŸŽถ
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:50 pm Title suggestion:

๐ŸŽถ It's the next best thing to Matt's good meta, Bird Lives makes it good! ๐ŸŽถ
Cause if Tilda is close enough to tilde, Swinton is close enough to Swanson.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:50 pm Title suggestion:

Cause if Tilda is close enough to tilde, Swinton is close enough to Swanson.
You're damned straight. Sing it, sister!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Strongly suspect that the "plural of octopus" has been hashed to death in these parts. Octopodes fan, myself. . .
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I was not impressed with this one even after I was given the answer. (I did not submit by the way). From reading crosswordfiend, there was no AHA moment or "so that was the path I missed" but only the recognition that if you were Spanish speaking or close, you could translate all the words, notice the tilde N and then see it in the title.

Yes the grid said Spanish but clue 7A said Greek, 4D was from Italy (by the way, I agree that Florence is the most beautiful city in the world), 5D with implications for Sweden, 50D South African, and 52D Scotland (and if you find someone in Scotland with a brogue like they are from Aberdeen, you would swear that they are not speaking English).
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

To be sure I wasnโ€™t missing something, I looked at the rest of the grid words to see if there were others with a Spanish translation with a tilde. And I found two possibilities - GIRL and ODD. But looking closer at how they were clued, they actually didnโ€™t. GIRL referenced the Larsson novels, and a girl of that age would be a chica, not a niรฑa. And ODD was not clued as weird, which would be extraรฑo but as an odd number, so impar.

When still desperately looking for any foothold, Iโ€™d noted โ€œoneโ€ in the clue for ODD and also ONES in the grid. So I wonder if the clue for ODD was a late change to up the elegance.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 pm To be sure I wasnโ€™t missing something, I looked at the rest of the grid words to see if there were others with a Spanish translation with a tilde. And I found two possibilities - GIRL and ODD. But looking closer at how they were clued, they actually didnโ€™t. GIRL referenced the Larsson novels, and a girl of that age would be a chica, not a niรฑa. And ODD was not clued as weird, which would be extraรฑo but as an odd number, so impar.

When still desperately looking for any foothold, Iโ€™d noted โ€œoneโ€ in the clue for ODD and also ONES in the grid. So I wonder if the clue for ODD was a late change to up the elegance.
It did seem like there were an unusual number of "everyday" words in the grid, GIRL, HOUR, SAME, GOOD... I looked up Spanish translations for a lot of things. Also, NINE was in the grid, and there were nine Ns (including the two in NINE), and I thought that must mean something! PIร‘A Aร‘O is so close to PIANO, but nothing else fit like that. I tried for a long time to do something with a "cocoon" idea (related to the center entry), trying to find the letters either inside or outside the รฑs in the grid or clues. So many rabbit holes in this one, even after you already (unknowingly) have the answer!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

I would have had less trouble getting the answer if it had been a week one or week two. I kept looking for the "multiple steps" and the aha moment, thinking it couldn't be this straighforward/easy....all the while the answer was staring me in the face....which is often a recurring theme for me.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I think Iโ€™ll crack this one open this evening. :lol: :lol:
Attachments
D29CF2FF-3C52-41C4-ACAE-0EBA5EC618C8.jpeg
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Based on the title I was convinced the meta was "World Wide Web." Spent the first day trying to shoehorn anything that would lead to that solution. That's what happens when you write gags all your life.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Never got around to doing more than filling the grid, but once I looked at the "reveal", it was obvious that I saved a lot of otherwise wasted time. Would never have gotten this one.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, finished the grid quickly but never got far on this meta. Just read the reveal and even though I speak Spanish, I honestly would never have gotten this. Very happy I didn't waste any more time on it.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I just read Matt's writeup on the MGWCC site, and I feel awful that he felt he let us down.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

^
Agreed - don't take it personally, Matt! The thing that had me wondering was that entry PIANO, which contained all the letters for both PINA and ANO, so it seemed like there should be a similar "paired" entry for all the others! That kind of thing might have been a nice confirmation in the grid... though how to accomplish that I do not know!

Also - the conundrum about how to write my answer was, should I put the adjective AFTER the noun, which is the correct way to do this if you're truly translating that (weird) phrase, or submit it in the word order given?? (arana sueno, or sueno arana ?) I submitted the first version, but I wonder if Matt would have accepted the other version too?
The other Wendy. :roll:
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

And I now know that "colada" means strained. :-)
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

"1) Part of my rationale for the meta-click being strong for ARAร‘A SUEร‘O is that the tilde is a rare letter in Spanish; it only appears in a few dozen words. But this is probably not common knowledge so softened the click considerably."

Would never have guessed that it was uncommonly used. Heck, I've even learnt to make show up on iPhone texts!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Matt did accept "sueรฑo de araรฑa" from me. I thought that was the correct way since it's the translation of the title as a phrase rather than as two unrelated words. But I was also confident he'd take it either way just because it's a crossword contest, not a Spanish test. And the leaderboard showing no wrong submissions by Sunday also was a pretty clear indication that he wasn't being picky.
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

Having subscribed to Matt's XWORDS a month ago, let me just say I am in a far inferior league to this point. I recognized that, although I solved the grid rapidly, that it was a WEEK 4 puzzle, and I gave up fairly soon thereafter (Gosh...Thankfully so).
My subscription still stands and I look forward to peering into his mind a bit more.