#694 - "CIRCLE Dances"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

What I learned this week: that "dances," in the arcane world of cryptics, is a surefire indication that anagramming is used. Who knows? Perhaps that information will come in handy at some later date!
I also learned a lot about square dancing and the Greek hora and watched a lot of Disco Stu clips.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:44 pm What I learned this week: that "dances," in the arcane world of cryptics, is a surefire indication that anagramming is used. Who knows? Perhaps that information will come in handy at some later date!
Writing that down...

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

59 NOP & 61 CDE Down, then 62 NOU (all in prime indicator entry real estate) had me CIRCLing the grid with arrows going from one 3-lettered word to the next with one letter different. I detest spending that much time on something I know is incorrect, but do it anyway, because nothing else is popping.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

1. I canโ€™t remember any other MGWCE or WSJ puzzles that relied on cryptic cluing in the title or possibly anywhere else. Iโ€™m sure there must have been some. Muggles with better memories than mine and who have been at it for longer may have something to add.

2. My first rabbit hole was AMMO dancing around a letter B to make MAMBO. (Donโ€™t ask where the B might have come from. I have no idea.) Unfortunately, none of the other circles fit with that strategy.

3. My Hail Mary was going to be HOKEY POKEY with the H and P sharing a circle to make it a 5-letter word. Itโ€™s the only circle dance I know except for HORA (four letters, but whoโ€™s counting?).

4. I know about cryptic clues, I know about anagrams, I know about multiple-use clues. Still, I needed serious nudging to get it. Hats off to those who solved it sans nudges.
Jay
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I thought maybe the "dances" was an anagram indicator, and saw the CLERIC/OBLATE connection, but didn't figure out to use those circled letters. I saw PIRATES was anagrammed PRIEST plus a letter, and spent some time looking for other religious leaders. And too much time on the dead ends others have mentioned. That's a good thing about short streaks. A time-consuming loss, but not a painful one.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

My deepest rabbit hole started with K in a circle as the marker for Kosher food - and there's Kosher mentioned in the clue for BLT. An empty circle is a degree - that's not mentioned in the clues, but maybe that's OK. A circle with an I and O (usually vertically) is a power switch. And a circle with DOO or AMMO - that's doesn't mean anything that I could find despite trying way too hard.

It took me a day to realize that all caps, besides meaning initials (I'm looking at you, RC cola:) or shouting could also mean an entry in the grid.

Over the weekend I realized that CIRCLE anagrammed to CLERIC which was a good match with OBLATE, but then I got to thinking that OBLATE is a kind of flattened CIRCLE and looking for other things like that that kind of circled around on themselves and not finding any. It wasn't til late last night that I circled (hah:) back to that original thought and threw CIRCLEK into an anagram solver and out popped CLICKER and I knew I had it.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:44 pm I also learned a lot about square dancing and the Greek hora and watched a lot of Disco Stu clips.
Did you have to pay to watch them? After all...

015935ca-ee9e-4434-b73f-f1fd9bdb59ca_text.gif
TMart

Post by TMart »

I don't usually do cryptics, so the title went right over my head. I spent the weekend on the moon - seeing "Io" in a circle and with words like PHASING, OBLATE, ARC and REMOTE in the grid, trying to match the circles with moon phases was a rabbit hole too deep to climb out of.

Great puzzle, but I never would have thought of anagraming in a million years. Short streak over, but I got a nice brain stretch out of it.
Domini

Post by Domini »

So never ever ever, but my favorite clearly wrong path, as nothing else came closing to following the same pattern, is that AMMO was inside a G_N. So I thought the 5th letter might be U!

I also thought the 5-letter answer was going to be the next in the sequence after the 4-letter AMMO, if I could just figure out the pattern! Alas.

Iโ€™m terrible at cryptic clues, so I was also stuck looking for literal dances. Dโ€™oh!

Great puzzle overall though!! Enjoyed failing spectacularly!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Gorgeous puzzle. Part of the fun (and I'm being serious here, and this isn't sour grapes) is when you look at a puzzle afterward you didn't get after finally pushing it through (with several after-deadline nudges) and realize you've been bested and you're just like, "Applause, applause."

Definitely a humbling experience, this one! Going to start a new streak with a Week 4, of course, since that's how that works (positive thinking!).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

I share my "Buzzer Beater" badge with those generous muggles who helped me through a particularly difficult 3rd week meta. And to those who attribute their own struggle on lack of a cryptic experience - it didn't help me and I've been successfully solving cryptics for 40 years. Even acknowledging that CLERIC is an anagram of CIRCLE didn't open the gates, so to speak. Too many steep steps for me to climb on my own.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

TMart wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:16 pm I don't usually do cryptics, so the title went right over my head. I spent the weekend on the moon - seeing "Io" in a circle and with words like PHASING, OBLATE, ARC and REMOTE in the grid, trying to match the circles with moon phases was a rabbit hole too deep to climb out of.

Great puzzle, but I never would have thought of anagraming in a million years. Short streak over, but I got a nice brain stretch out of it.
What a ridiculously good attitude. :-)
stmv

Post by stmv »

There's a slight irony here: In the Zoom session with Matt Gaffney and Pete Muller, they were asked if they were interested in constructing cryptics, and both said no. And then it turns out that the key to this week's MGWCC depends on a cryptic convention......
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

You want anagram indicators. We got anagram indicators. These are from the most recent Guardian crossword.

Single forehand shot and scores are settled (2,4,8) NO HARD FEELINGS
โ€œShotโ€ is the anagram indicator

Mushy peas served with pork pie, right for trainer (8) ESPALIER
โ€œPork pieโ€ is Cockney rhyming slang for โ€œlie.โ€
โ€œMushyโ€ is the anagram indicator.

Make secure? RESCUE
โ€œMakeโ€ is the anagram indicator

Their own pants became threadbare (4,4) WORE THIN
โ€œPantsโ€ is the anagram indicator

Dual Asian model somewhere in southern Europe โ€ฆ (9) ANDALUSIA
โ€œModelโ€ is the anagram indicator

Film of float at a tantric gathering (5,10) FATAL ATTRACTION
Gathering is the anagram indicator

A fatherโ€™s wise rewriting of an idiotโ€™s novel (1,7,2,5) A PASSAGE TO INDIA
โ€œRewriting ofโ€ is the anagram indicator (AN IDIOT after A PAโ€™S SAGE)

But wait, thereโ€™s more. How about these from The Financial Times

No team player, no fellow playing? (4,4) LONE WOLF
โ€œPlayingโ€ is the anagram indicator

Drunken alky, dipso (so gone) drinking new cocktail (4,4) PINK LADY
โ€œDrunkenโ€ is the anagram indicator

Turkey twizzles I assert beyond dreadful for starters (8) DISASTER
โ€œTwizzlesโ€ is the anagram indicator (after D โ€“ starting letter of โ€œdreadfulโ€)

And the Independent
My mount bolted, after shot of German weapon (5,3) TOMMY GUN
โ€œBoltedโ€ is the anagram indicator

Game flapper mixed a woeful gin (6,4) GUINEA FOWL
โ€œMixesโ€ is the anagram indicator

I tape cork up in cavity full of gas (3,6) AIR POCKET
โ€œUpโ€ is the anagram indicator

And so on.

Aren't you glad you don't do cryptics?
Jay
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Wow I never would have got this one, congrats to those of you that did! I misread the title at first as CIRCLE Dancers, which sounds like Circled Answers and almost went down a homophone rabbit hole. Looking at the circled answers though I came up with Circle K as in the gas station, IO moon, and round of ammo, maybe a hole for the blank one, so thought I was onto something there but I couldn't come up with anything for Doo or make anything out of what I had. I did notice that all the letters in CIRCLE were capitalized but I did not figure out the significance of that.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:16 pm You want anagram indicators. We got anagram indicators. These are from the most recent Guardian crossword.

And the Independent
My mount bolted, after shot of German weapon (5,3) TOMMY GUN
โ€œBoltedโ€ is the anagram indicator

Game flapper mixed a woeful gin (6,4) GUINEA FOWL
โ€œMixesโ€ is the anagram indicator

I tape cork up in cavity full of gas (3,6) AIR POCKET
โ€œUpโ€ is the anagram indicator

And so on.

Very.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:16 pm You want anagram indicators. We got anagram indicators. These are from the most recent Guardian crossword.

That is WHY I do cryptics.
baskin98

Post by baskin98 »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:16 pm You want anagram indicators. We got anagram indicators.
Why am I hearing this in the voice of Frank Costanza?
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol picked a good week to not have enough time for the puzzle. I don't think I'd ever have gotten there, but congrats to those who did.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer