#693 - "Picture This" by Alex Boisvert

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

ajk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:22 am
mntlblok wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 am Seems the culture here is that one awaits some form of confirmation before reporting actual beamage?
There's a leaderboard at https://xwordcontest.com/ (where you are currently listed at #489, good work).
Oh, that's harsh. Thank you! I'll get this figgered out, yet. :-)
ajk

Post by ajk »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 pm
mntlblok wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 am Seems the culture here is that one awaits some form of confirmation before reporting actual beamage?
There's a leaderboard at https://xwordcontest.com/ (where you are currently listed at #489, good work).
Lol. Apologies, I was being sincere, not obnoxious. Solving any of these things at any point is an accomplishment IMO.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

ajk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 pm
Lol. Apologies, I was being sincere, not obnoxious. Solving any of these things at any point is an accomplishment IMO.
Please, *never* take anything I post here seriously. :-) I already *love* this Muggle crowd! Hoping that maybe I can grow up to be like you. You are my heroes. Shall post my complaint about this meta separately.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

There can be no argument that that French tower is far more "lambda" than A-shaped. And, that Petronas thing simply *screams* Planck's constant! Other than architects possibly *not* necessarily needing to be up on all facets of quantum mechanics, this combo of structures *clearly* points to muon decay. No??
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

One of the cool things with Matt's site is that he recognizes all sorts of "achievements" beyond just solving quickly. In fact, there's "Buzzer Beater" for those who solve in the last 5 minutes before the deadline. Some people have to wait to submit an answer to get this one. Personally, I've take that long to solve more than once:)

To see which achievements you've already got and which you have yet to go, click on your name on the leaderboard or go to the Achievements tab and put in your (or anyone's) handle.

Here's what you have and what you have to look forward to:

https://xwordcontest.com/achievements/solver/mntlblok
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:57 pm
One of the cool things with Matt's site is that he recognizes all sorts of "achievements" beyond just solving quickly. In fact, there's "Buzzer Beater" for those who solve in the last 5 minutes before the deadline. Some people have to wait to submit an answer to get this one. Personally, I've take that long to solve more than once:)

To see which achievements you've already got and which you have yet to go, click on your name on the leaderboard or go to the Achievements tab and put in your (or anyone's) handle.

Here's what you have and what you have to look forward to:

https://xwordcontest.com/achievements/solver/mntlblok
*I* have unlocked achievements!!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

244B4988-9ACF-4EAA-B1E4-5F62D32A1AD2.jpeg
As one who works in the field, I’d say sketching is more important than math(s) for an architect! It sure helped me solve this meta!
FOM (Fear of Math) almost kept me from pursuing my field. Most of the people I knew going into the field were math geniuses, so I figured that was a requirement. Turns out, not so much. I use simple geometry often, and occasionally a ratio to figure out a dimension, but it’s my sketching and creative/conceptual thinking that comes in most useful (helping me or a client visualize 3 dimensions, or just explaining a concept or inspiration to someone)! Hand off the structural calculations to an engineer… they LOVE that stuff, right?
Last edited by HeadinHome on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:02 pm Image

As one who works in the field, I’d say sketching is more important than math(s) for an architect! It sure helped me solve this metal.
FOM (Fear of Math) almost kept me from pursuing my field. Most of the people I knew going into the field were math geniuses, so I figured that was a requirement. Turns out, not so much. I use simple geometry often, and occasionally a ratio to figure out a dimension, but it’s my sketching and creative/conceptual thinking that comes in most useful (helping me or a client visualize 3 dimensions, or just explaining a concept or inspiration to someone)! Hand off the structural calculations to an engineer… they LOVE that stuff, right?
The best reveal I've seen on Xword Muggles, IMO. Great photo of it, to boot!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:02 pm 244B4988-9ACF-4EAA-B1E4-5F62D32A1AD2.jpegAs one who works in the field, I’d say sketching is more important than math(s) for an architect! It sure helped me solve this meta!
This takes the cake!! As a MATH teacher, I approve! (I do need MATH in my field, I can say that much!!)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!