#693 - "Picture This" by Alex Boisvert

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

mntlblok wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm Edit: Looks like it must be a noon Tuesday deadline.
Correct, that's the standard deadline.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Prozach wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:29 am I will take a little nudge to start
Nudged and beamed up.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

First look at a meta in a month... apparently I'm rusty. Got absolutely nothing.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I got a late start on this one and my mind just doesn’t see it, I know I must be overthinking the week 2 again…
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beamed & Jas. Beaming.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

After a perfect little nudge from Prozach, pretty certain I got it whilst lying in bed last evening. Was then only a couple of minutes later that the wifey came to the same conclusion, though a case could be made that my additional, *very* slight nudge got her over the edge.

Looks like I've figgered out how to submit. Seems the culture here is that one awaits some form of confirmation before reporting actual beamage? Or, maybe that's merely related to first page bragging rights issues. . .
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am on blended knee asking for a last minute hint. True humility for a week 2. I have a couple of PMs requesting a nudge, but they’re still in my outbox.thanks

Edit: have responses!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ok, that was quite simple. Thanks to those who quickly nudged me!
ajk

Post by ajk »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 am Seems the culture here is that one awaits some form of confirmation before reporting actual beamage?
There's a leaderboard at https://xwordcontest.com/ (where you are currently listed at #489, good work).
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

I see I wasn't the only one with nerves of steel this week. @Bob cruise director also pops up on the leaderboard at 11:57!
And thanks to @Wendy Walker for the assist :)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

For @Bird Lives, if you wanted the British version, you could use RIVERCITY as long as you don't mind a backwards S.

Meg

Post by Meg »

The MGWCC puzzle #191 from January, 2012. I remember it well! The prompt was a familiar internet company.
Attachments
yahoo!.png
191b.jpg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 693 reveal JPR .png
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

What threw me off in a big way on this was TWINS crossing PETRONASTOWERS. But there were no elephant or praying-themed grid entries, or anything similar for the Eiffel. (and in a smaller way, the Timothy Dalton clue + the big set piece in AV2AK.)

The key for me was to look at the pictures of all 4 at the same time. If you see one, you may or may not see a letter. All 4? LETTERS! WE GET LETTERS! WE GET LOTS AND LOTS OF LETTERS!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Letters!
Oh, we get letters!
We get your letters every day! (yip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip-bip...)

Mail man! Mail man! Mail today!
Reach right in and pull one out... (bippety-boppety-boo...!)

Oh, Letters!
We love those letters!
Let's find out what you have to say! (Oh, BOY!)

Mail man!
:::ding-dong:::
Mail today...!

(Any other Burjank fans out there?)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:21 pm
The key for me was to look at the pictures of all 4 at the same time. If you see one, you may or may not see a letter. All 4? LETTERS! WE GET LETTERS! WE GET LOTS AND LOTS OF LETTERS!
I would never have thought of this on my own. I was into so many different wormholes on this one I really needed the nudge I got!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm For @Bird Lives, if you wanted the British version, you could use RIVERCITY as long as you don't mind a backwards S.

Ya got metas my friends.
Right here in River City...
Jay
Barney

Post by Barney »

Barney wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:31 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:57 pm Beamed up. I got some help after trying the correct thing first but giving up WAY too early on it.

Do people appreciate credit for giving great nudges or is it better to treat them like your favorite babysitter and keep their name to yourself?
They appreciate the credit.

I’m not asking for a nudge because I don’t think “hopeless blank stare” is a starting place to tell anyone what I’ve tried.
I got a nudge to “look up pictures of the monuments,” but apparently I am REALLY BAD at math because I could not put 2+2 together. Either that or I’m just not visually oriented.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well as I said, I almost got done in by a very clever nudge. Knowing I was vacationing in Paris I was told to “look out my window” so I did:

“Got it” I said to myself, looked up the others and ended up with
E09BF4EA-2416-4767-B285-D506E2061427.jpeg
MITH???

Only thing to do was go to the Champs de Mars and REALLY look:
DF8CC63D-137A-4B12-BD93-90C5B35BEEA9.jpeg
Ok, MATH- much better.

Sorry for the sideways pics I’m trying to do this from a phone.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Teddybear

Post by Teddybear »

Okay, who else spent an eternity fiddling with the asymmetrical grid? Raise your hands, now.