#693 - "Picture This" by Alex Boisvert

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Barney

Post by Barney »

I see what stands out as very odd …. but not seeing it.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I want to see the British version of this meta.
Jay
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Fun and done.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

download.jpg
Beamed after being guided to do what I had already done - - funny (not) how often that happens. . . . Nice AHA.
Teddybear

Post by Teddybear »

With my Monday and Tuesday pretty busy, today's the last day I'm gonna be able to work on this, and despite picking it up a dozen times over the last two days all I've got is a mess of a grid with all sorts of failed ideas around it. If I could bounce what I've got off of someone and get a little nudge, I'd really appreciate it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well thanks to @Wendywalker I finally beamed up. I over thought it once again.
Heidi
Teddybear

Post by Teddybear »

Yep, same. Thanks to @higgysue for the nudge that got me on the right track (and to @cbarbee002 who also offered a nudge as well but came in after I solved it)!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up. I got some help after trying the correct thing first but giving up WAY too early on it.

Do people appreciate credit for giving great nudges or is it better to treat them like your favorite babysitter and keep their name to yourself?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

after spending some quality time of the beach and getting the right nudge at the right time....Beamed up (waiting for confirmation but 100% answer).

Confirmed beaming
Last edited by jhseeman on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barney

Post by Barney »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:57 pm Beamed up. I got some help after trying the correct thing first but giving up WAY too early on it.

Do people appreciate credit for giving great nudges or is it better to treat them like your favorite babysitter and keep their name to yourself?
They appreciate the credit.

I’m not asking for a nudge because I don’t think “hopeless blank stare” is a starting place to tell anyone what I’ve tried.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:57 pm Beamed up. I got some help after trying the correct thing first but giving up WAY too early on it.

It depends on the nudger. It's completely up to the nudgee and, speaking only for myself, no offense taken whatsoever if you don't!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:33 pm

It depends on the nudger. It's completely up to the nudgee and, speaking only for myself, no offense taken whatsoever if you don't!
Good to know. Thanks.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Barney wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:31 pm

They appreciate the credit.

I’m not asking for a nudge because I don’t think “hopeless blank stare” is a starting place to tell anyone what I’ve tried.
This makes sense.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, talk about overthinking…very clever puzzle and one that working on puzzles by another clever constructor should have made this easier. Luckily I got a bit of help from a Muggle and from being on vacation oddly enough! (though it almost did me in!). Not confirmed but sure.

EDIT: Top 400 yes!
Last edited by DrTom on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Okay - beamed and such. Kicking and screaming as a blind man to the solution. Thanks @Wendy Walker for the shove!
Kevin
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

I will take a little nudge to start
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Pretty sure I got it...waiting for the beam. Thanks to a muggle for getting me focused....

Edit: And beamed!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Still new to this. When and how does the answer reveal come about? TIA
ajk

Post by ajk »

mntlblok wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:54 pm Still new to this. When and how does the answer reveal come about? TIA
Joon Pahk posts a blog about the answer right after the deadline over at crossword fiend (here's last week's post: https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/09/07/mgwcc-692/), and Matt posts about it on Fridays when the new one comes out over at his website (here's last week's: https://xwordcontest.com/).

Of course people also post things here after the deadline, or you can ask someone to post if no one has.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

ajk wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:58 pm
mntlblok wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:54 pm Still new to this. When and how does the answer reveal come about? TIA
Joon Pahk posts a blog about the answer right after the deadline over at crossword fiend (here's last week's post: https://crosswordfiend.com/2021/09/07/mgwcc-692/), and Matt posts about it on Fridays when the new one comes out over at his website (here's last week's: https://xwordcontest.com/).

Of course people also post things here after the deadline, or you can ask someone to post if no one has.
Thank you! I'll check Joon's blog. Thought I had heard that this puzzle closed out at noon on Mondays. Bet I have that wrong. Regardless, looks to be zero chance that I or the wifey will figure this week's out. :-(

Edit: Looks like it must be a noon Tuesday deadline.