#691 - “Synonyms & Antonym”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Orsys wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:29 pm I didn't see the comment about the ? right away. That did help to get to the solve, with a nudge.
Was this a comment on this forum? Has it been deleted? Was looking for it to see if it might help me, too, and I can’t locate what you are referring to.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Sara Dacus wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:50 am
Orsys wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:29 pm I didn't see the comment about the ? right away. That did help to get to the solve, with a nudge.
Was this a comment on this forum? Has it been deleted? Was looking for it to see if it might help me, too, and I can’t locate what you are referring to.
He added the message on the Patreon site where you download the puzzle. I hadn't see it when I first downloaded it.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Orsys wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:56 am
He added the message on the Patreon site where you download the puzzle. I hadn't see it when I first downloaded it.
Ah. Yes. That.

Thank you!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Orsys wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:56 am
See the SPECIAL SOLVING NOTE Matt added after the puzzle was released, which states that the 'not equal to' characters in PUZ clues appear as a question marks.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted right after leaderboard updated. Should be on the board after next update.

Does Matt offer any "pauses" on streaks if I am out of town and away from access to the puzzle? I have a two week trip coming up where I may not have access for that middle weekend. I would hate to lose my streak due to inability to access the puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

With more than a little pain and some encouragement and some gentle nudges, I am off the couch and submitted. Awaiting confirmation (or disappointment)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe

Post by Joe »

I did it! My first clean month in quite a while. I will confess that I maaaaayyy not fully understand the mechanism. But I got far enough that I was confident enough to submit. And then I was beamed aboard.

EDIT I just backsolved a little bit and find the meta even tighter than I did before. If you do it right it's a 100%-er!
Last edited by Joe on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up. I didn't find this one all that easy - needed a nudge to confirm I was on the right path. Once I got the mechanism, it was fun to complete. Just glad to be on the leaderboard.
Cindy Heisler
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally beamed up. Wendy helped me get out of a deep, deep rabbit hole. I over complicated it.
Heidi
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Apparently, I'm overlooking something painfully obvious, so I'd super-appreciate a teensy nudge.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Unconfirmed but 100% sure I'm off the couch. I did not see a "Solo Solve" check box. My poor vision, or did it really disappear? Anyway, the nudge I got was more like a nod to keep going in the direction I was heading, so I feel almost like a soloist.
Jay
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I found this one REALLY enjoyable. Go ahead and beam me up.
Cow

Post by Cow »

Had a lot of fun solving the meta, although I struggled with the grid. Really nice one!
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

I'll take a nudge if anybody has one.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Beamed up! I do not think I have the entire mechanism, but my answer is confirmed.
Kevin
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Thanks to nudges from a friendly muggle I believe I am beamed up! Had to do a bit of backsolving for one part.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

a Friendly nudge and beamed up.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Hi, I just joined even though I have been doing MGWCC since January 2013. I'm not getting anywhere this week, (I'm blaming it on being sick), so I thought this might be a good week to get my "Better Together" achievement since everyone is enjoying the puzzle. Could I have a nudge please?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Generic nudge requests:

In general, it is MUCH better to PM a particular person (many of us post that we will be glad to help!) for a nudge as opposed to putting a "may I have a nudge" on the forum. It is not unlike asking aloud for help from a crowd. When nobody responds the requestor may feel slighted, but in reality everyone thinks that someone else must have already helped. If you'd like a nudge, send what you have so far (it is easier to nudge you onto the right path if we know what path you are currently on) and wait for guidance. Some give specific nudges, some are more general but our intent is always to point you in the right direction as opposed to leading you to the answer. The AHA's are so darn much fun we don't want to ruin it.

DrTom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Thanks! I have received several friendly nudges. Right after I posted, I got on the right track but haven't made it to the end yet.

EDIT: Beamed up!
Thanks for the nudges. :)