#690 - "Age Appropriate"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
lkeigwin

Post by lkeigwin »

Surely constructing is harder than solving. I don't know how Matt manages to deliver such impressive puzzles. Or how he and the missus manage to sleep.

I liked this one. It was a backward solve for me but was instantly obvious.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

I needed to be, not nudged, exactly, but rather turned gently away from the irrelevant.

I think I’m with Toby, in that only after solving did I see how a certain something about this puzzle could have suggested the path to me sooner.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up.
How does someone get the answer in 3 minutes?
Joe

Post by Joe »

Look at that cute little grid with all those letters in it!

That's literally all I've got...
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
architect

Post by architect »

Yeah, just turned mine in and certain of my answer. Spent yesterday engrossed in Lollapuzzoola and preparing for Henri.
Verisimilitude

Post by Verisimilitude »

Done. Nice construction.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done, but not with a nudge, more with a push.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:20 pm Right in my wheelhouse - NOT - unless it is from the 50's or 60's

From someone who has never watched the Simpsons, Survivor, or any other TV show that my daughter asks me about
But, Bob, it's a well-known TV show....

(yeah, that's not helping me either. yet.)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Backsolved my way to the transporter room. It all makes sense once you know the answer.
Joe

Post by Joe »

And just like that, the clouds parted. I've requested to beam aboard, and have no doubt that I will. It is a 100% lock.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Forward solved, awaiting refreshment.
-Tamara
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

AHA! I'll admit to backsolving via google, but I have found the mechanism to confirm my hunch!! Happy to be on the board! (not confirmed yet, but it is a lock once you see it)

ETA: On the board and I was also a really big fan of this show.
Last edited by MamaE on Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up but I needed a little guidance. The shows I picked out were wrong. Not easy for me. I never saw this show but I do admit that it is well-known.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Uh huh - yes just took some thinking/staring. Mine was a bit of a backsolve too. This answer had occurred to me early on (like, Friday evening) but I dismissed it for reasons I can’t explain now. But today, I looked for the umpteenth time and thought “it just has to be this, but how can I …? … Oh. Ha. Clever.”

Beam me up

I will say, I think it helped that I was indeed a big fan of this show.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Teddybear

Post by Teddybear »

I think that I have it, but I want to find a stronger connection between it and the grid before I submit. What I have now feels too tenuous for a Gaffney puzzle.

EDIT: You know what, I'm gonna ask for a little nudge. I don't want to make it a habit, but knowing me if I don't make progress in the next half-hour I'm gonna get frustrated, submit what I have, and probably get it wrong.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Teddybear wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 pm I think that I have it, but I want to find a stronger connection between it and the grid before I submit. What I have now feels too tenuous for a Gaffney puzzle.

EDIT: You know what, I'm gonna ask for a little nudge. I don't want to make it a habit, but knowing me if I don't make progress in the next half-hour I'm gonna get frustrated, submit what I have, and probably get it wrong.
Y'all know you have an extra day this week, right? (Wednesday noon).
The other Wendy. :roll:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Got it, with some help from Meg!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Teddybear wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 pm What I have now feels too tenuous for a Gaffney puzzle.
But probably more than enough for a Mikey G puzzle, bahaha.

So far, I have a hunch that it might be a well-known TV show. And...yep.

EDIT: 2 AM EPIPHANY
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Finally dawned on me, with LOTS of pushing and shoving from Meg, what the path was. Clever, but not my favorite Meta, maybe just because I missed it and it was in the back of my mind. I never really watched the show, but I remember thinking on Friday, "wait wasn't there..." but couldn't put it together. I mean I could think of lots of TV show names from the available information, but nothing that resembled a mechanism. OK, so now I get to try to restart the streak with a week 4 - well that ought to be easy enough to do....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!