#689 - "Just Like That"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Agree that was a fun one to “get” because once you see what’s going on it’s like a treasure hunt unfolding — Love those kinds! Submitted and awaiting confirmation. (Edit: on the board.)

(I also am still struggling with the WSJ .. this quick solve helped me feel not quite so thick. But still, loads of people solved that quickly and I am completely at sea!)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! Very late start due to work stuff, but it went quickly. Not on the board yet, but confident.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:05 pm Agree that was a fun one to “get” because once you see what’s going on it’s like a treasure hunt unfolding — Love those kinds! Submitted and awaiting confirmation. (Edit: on the board.)

(I also am still struggling with the WSJ .. this quick solve helped me feel not quite so thick. But still, loads of people solved that quickly and I am completely at sea!)
It is odd how our minds work, because I got nothing yet for Gaffney, but got the WSJ pretty quickly.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ha! Odd minds think alike, oddly?
The other Wendy. :roll:
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Beam me up.
ajk

Post by ajk »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:05 pm (I also am still struggling with the WSJ .. this quick solve helped me feel not quite so thick. But still, loads of people solved that quickly and I am completely at sea!)
Meanwhile, I am having the other-people-are-getting-it experience with both puzzles :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Beam me up. Post inspiration at work. OOOH AAAH!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

My strategies:

Week 1 - On computer: try to get right away and wonder what's going on if I can't (this may or may not be a subtweet for a very recent Week 1)
Week 2 - On computer: maximum 1 hour time at first
Week 3 beyond - Print out and get to it when I can

I used up all my time earlier, haha. I sort of have an inkling of what needs to happen, but nothing of merit is dropping, so I'll chew on it for now!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Abide

Post by Abide »

architect wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:25 pm Quick solve - waiting for confirmation too. I hope Matt is broad in accepting variations here.
I see a qualifier that leads to only one correct answer.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Toby

Post by Toby »

There’s only one correct answer, though, to be honest, it doesn’t really describe me, at least lately.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Abide wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:45 pm
I see a qualifier that leads to only one correct answer.
Very cool - I just noticed that!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Beamed up here. 🚀 Back to swimming on the other side. 🏊🏻‍♀️
-Tamara
stmv

Post by stmv »

I think that I got this (update: yes, on leaderboard at #206) - late to the puzzle due to a full day hiking in the Kootenays and other such recreation. I'm stuck without a printer, and I found it surprisingly hard to do the meta without a printed copy that I could write on.
Last edited by stmv on Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Glad the WSJ was an easy solve for me this week. Not only was the grid a struggle for me on this one, but the meta isn't jumping out yet. I have a nice idea of what the mechanism could be, but the words just aren't falling into place.
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Came a bit late to this one. Still no power here. We’re having to drive around to recharge our phones!
elementary

Post by elementary »

ajk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:35 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:05 pm (I also am still struggling with the WSJ .. this quick solve helped me feel not quite so thick. But still, loads of people solved that quickly and I am completely at sea!)
Meanwhile, I am having the other-people-are-getting-it experience with both puzzles :lol: :lol:
Same here! Definitely one of the most frustrating weeks for me in a while :lol:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Cosmo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:23 am Glad the WSJ was an easy solve for me this week. Not only was the grid a struggle for me on this one, but the meta isn't jumping out yet. I have a nice idea of what the mechanism could be, but the words just aren't falling into place.
Same.

Also, best name and avatar ever??? (GIDDY UP)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I am embarrassed to say that, once again, I needed a course correction. I had all these great ideas, based on what I have to assume were deliberately placed land mines - I'll explain later but I am sure others know what I mean. Anyway even after I got the mechanism (after the nudge back on course) I floundered because of an earlier mistake. I believe I have it now, though it has not been confirmed.

EDIT:
Confirmed, I have rematerialized in the transporter room: Sneaking in at just under 260 (#258)
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up. Just got to it this afternoon. This was a fun one. I figured out the mechanism while taking a very rare nap. Perhaps I need more of those. I also had the nice experience of submitting right before the update.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Update: Took a look at the puzzle for about the sixth or seventh time, and this time something jumped out almost right away and hey presto I think I've got it. Now hopefully the same thing works for WSJ :lol:

ETA: Beaming confirmed. 8-)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer