#688 - "Heart of the Matter"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

KDubs wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:03 pm Ugh we’re still trying to figure this out!! Every random avenue we’ve tried hasn’t panned out. Would be fine if this weren’t a week one?! Holy cow! Happy for everyone who’s solved it!
We’re out — not going to submit. We can’t get there. Will someone please PM me the answer? 😭😭😭 (You’ll witness I don’t submit an answer — I just want to move on with my life 🥴🥴🥴)
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

KDubs wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:35 pm
KDubs wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:03 pm Ugh we’re still trying to figure this out!! Every random avenue we’ve tried hasn’t panned out. Would be fine if this weren’t a week one?! Holy cow! Happy for everyone who’s solved it!
We’re out — not going to submit. We can’t get there. Will someone please PM me the answer? 😭😭😭 (You’ll witness I don’t submit an answer — I just want to move on with my life 🥴🥴🥴)
PM Sent
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved (with a nudge) and submitted (as a group solve). The leaderboard hasn't been updated recently, so my name is not there yet, but a fellow muggle confirmed it was correct. Phew!! While I was working on it, it seemed like more than a week one. Now that I've solved it, I'm not so sure. 🤔
Cindy Heisler
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

As numerous above - answer submitted - not solo (when it comes to the subject matter, I am a 'Weak 1').
-Tamara
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I feel this thread will easily have the most posts of an MGWCC since I started muggling (is that a word?) a year ago, and the Week 1 low (in the mid-high 500s for DOUBLE DOWN and GAME CHANGERS) for that same time stretch is going to be shattered, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Me too.

WEEK 1? I'm gonna be in serious trouble in WEEK 4!

Still on the transporter pad back on NCC-1701.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

WELP I asked for help and got it (thanks, kids!) and wowza, can’t believe I missed it! See you next week lol ☺️☺️☺️
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Matt has just updated and now 83/334 answers were incorrect. The percentage of incorrect responses has been holding pretty steady at 25% of total responseses.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I thought it was pretty straightforward but I’m obviously in the minority.
Heidi
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally got it yesterday after a helpful nudge that I was not losing my marbles. I can't figure out precisely why it was so challenging, other than the usual tendency to overcomplicate.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
burghman

Post by burghman »

Week 1 and 2 are typically fairly straightforward for me, but I’m in the same boat as many here. I see what seems to be the obvious first step, but from there I’m stuck. Happy to let someone know what I think I know via DM in exchange for a nudge or confirmation that my SWAG may be right. Thanks in advance.

ETA - got a few quick PMs, thanks!

ETA - thanks to the multiple muggles who reached out offering advice. This one was a perfect example of a puzzle that is so obvious in hindsight but a challenge to get there (for me at least).

ETA - confirmed!
Last edited by burghman on Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Awaiting return of the flip-communicator to request to be beamed aboard.

MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Hello all - I'm in that same proverbial boat as many others - see the obvious first step and now just treading water. Any helpful muggles willing to hand me a life preserver?

Thanks to all - I’ve got it now - was vastly overcomplicating things!
Last edited by MamaE on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
architect

Post by architect »

I have two unsatisfying answers at this point, where neither is the current name of a cable network. If I could bounce them off of someone who's had a successful submission, I'd appreciate it.

EDITED: Thanks for the nudges. This was not a good meta.
Last edited by architect on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

will accept nudges. i am in the same situation. First step is straightforward. Cannot seem to crack the next one. The weird thing is that because this is a week 1 i am very averse to enter what would be clearly a bunch of rabbit holes that are week3+ level. it's funny how I keep stopping myself from venturing these ways.

EDIT: Beamed up, with some nudges. Thanks all.
Last edited by Prozach on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Got it with a nudge. On to the MMM. Doing the grid now and the clues are super fun!
Kevin
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Didn't look at puzzle until today... yikes. Just looking for some post enlightenment now.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ain't too proud to beg.

I need a WEEK 1 nudge. Any takers?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

OK, I've requested beam up and am hoping I'll make it through whatever weirdness this is in the space time continuum.

I knew before I started that I was at a disadvantage with this one because I don't have cable TV. And I know from watching motel cable that there are hundreds of channels out there. But, hey, that's what google is for, and it's just a week 1, so no problem, right?

Like everyone else, I saw something right away. And that did lead me to a cable channel, not in the absolutely could not possibly be anything else sort of way, but definitely in the sure, that works fine for a week 1 sort of way. If it were later in the month, I'd feel the need to do more, but week 1 should just be there. Right?

If there were no leaderboard, I'd probably be more confident. But that leaderboard! So some people initially marked wrong were later changed to right? So I gather Matt is accepting more than one answer? But there are still a quarter of submissions wrong! On a week 1! So do I have the three quarter right answer or the one quarter wrong answer? So I dug deeper and read way further into online articles than is reasonable and tried various contortions, but none of that led anywhere.

One suggestion I read once upon a time was to ask yourself, if this was going to be the answer, how would I make a meta out of it. And for my answer, I think this puzzle is just how I'd do it. So that does give me a bit of hope.

Guess I'll find out after the next leaderboard update. 🤞
TRidgway

Post by TRidgway »

MamaE wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:14 pm Hello all - I'm in that same proverbial boat as many others - see the obvious first step and now just treading water. Any helpful muggles willing to hand me a life preserver?
PM Sent
I'm tardy, wig askew.