#688 - "Heart of the Matter"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well THAT hurt! I submitted and since it has been updated since I did and I do not see my name anywhere I have to assume I am incorrect. Obviously I considered my submission long and hard so I am disappointed. I have sent up a flare in hopes of attracting some assistance, but for right now the streak is back to ZERO (I dropped a big one last week, I must have had 15 solves in a row - a record for me - but now I am back at squire 1, or rather START, I haven't even moved off square one. Well at least I can laugh.....

Campbells condescend.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
burak

Post by burak »

All of the jocular/self-deprecating comments that I thought of have already been made, so I'll cut to the chase.

WHAT THE F*** IS GOING ON ARE WE SURE THIS IS WEEK 1
TRidgway

Post by TRidgway »

Toby wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:18 pm \Now that I know the right answer, I can't decide if this one was too easy or too hard.
Which maybe means it was just right?
xo,
Goldilocks
I'm tardy, wig askew.
baskin98

Post by baskin98 »

It may have played better as a week two?
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

First time group solving. Man, I gotta figure out how to work the PM system! That was way too much work...
But I have been beamed up :)
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:34 am Well THAT hurt! I submitted and since it has been updated since I did and I do not see my name anywhere I have to assume I am incorrect. Obviously I considered my submission long and hard so I am disappointed. I have sent up a flare in hopes of attracting some assistance, but for right now the streak is back to ZERO (I dropped a big one last week, I must have had 15 solves in a row - a record for me - but now I am back at squire 1, or rather START, I haven't even moved off square one. Well at least I can laugh.....

Campbells condescend.jpg
Dr. Tom,
I am SOOOO embarrassed! That is a local grocer here in the 216 and that photo looks like it's from right in my neighborhood. Ouch...
They are now a pretty much a regular supermarket with a decent sized section of close-out items (ala Big Lots) but when they first started up 25 or so years back they were known as "the flea market with a freezer section" :lol:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Got a nudge re how to look at this and went quickly from there. Agree with others about this being, in retrospect, much easier than I was making it.
lkeigwin

Post by lkeigwin »

The correct answer dawned on me this morning. But too late <sigh>. I made an early guess that was wrong.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I made a bad guess, anyone want to tell me where to go with step 2? and why does a week 1 have a step 2?

EDIT: I’m nudged for the moment. Thx
Last edited by flamingbear on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt / Flamingbear
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:34 am Well THAT hurt! I submitted and since it has been updated since I did and I do not see my name anywhere I have to assume I am incorrect.
If you click on Overall, you'll see yourself at #194. The names on Overall that are not on This Week are the ones who submitted entries deemed by Matt to be incorrect. As of the last update (11:30 last night) there are 193 This Weeks and 256 Overalls, so 63 wrong answers. From the comments, I gather that some of the wrong answers are arguable. Who put the Overalls in Mr. Gaffneys coffer?
Jay
balshetzer

Post by balshetzer »

I would really like a nudge if any kind soul is willing. I'm not used to beeing stumped on week 1.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:54 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:34 am Well THAT hurt! I submitted and since it has been updated since I did and I do not see my name anywhere I have to assume I am incorrect.
If you click on Overall, you'll see yourself at #194. The names on Overall that are not on This Week are the ones who submitted entries deemed by Matt to be incorrect. As of the last update (11:30 last night) there are 193 This Weeks and 256 Overalls, so 63 wrong answers. From the comments, I gather that some of the wrong answers are arguable. Who put the Overalls in Mr. Gaffneys coffer?
And like the famed song, "I hollered all the louder!" Well famed for me at least, it was one of my Mother's favorite to belt out at the top of her lungs. (she did not however make chowder)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dr. Tom,
I am SOOOO embarrassed! That is a local grocer here in the 216 and that photo looks like it's from right in my neighborhood. Ouch...
They are now a pretty much a regular supermarket with a decent sized section of close-out items (ala Big Lots) but when they first started up 25 or so years back they were known as "the flea market with a freezer section" :lol:
and henceforth will be the "flea market with a freezer area and a snooty soup section! :lol:
balshetzer

Post by balshetzer »

balshetzer wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:10 pm I would really like a nudge if any kind soul is willing. I'm not used to beeing stumped on week 1.
I've got it now. Thanks for the nudge!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Ok, throwing in the towel on this week 1… if someone would kindly noodge me I’d appreciate it.

Edit: got a reply. Thanks!
Last edited by sharkicicles on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I sent in the answer thta I said was too prosaic and unimaginative. I was right. It was. The board hasn't been updated, but I'm sure I'll be in Overalls and with my odometer reset to 0.
Jay
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

got it after a nice nudge. I was definitely overthinking it.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

My wife and I are torn between two very fitting possibilities. Gonna sleep on it and flip a coin.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Ugh we’re still trying to figure this out!! Every random avenue we’ve tried hasn’t panned out. Would be fine if this weren’t a week one?! Holy cow! Happy for everyone who’s solved it!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Think I got it after a nice nudge from Meg. Not going to submit though. I don’t have a streak anyway :)