#688 - "Heart of the Matter"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Domini

Post by Domini »

Whoops! Submitted but not beamed up. Thought I had it even without a solid click (and sitting on it over night), and I still like my answer, but looking forward to seeing what the real answer is!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Domini wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:05 pm Whoops! Submitted but not beamed up. Thought I had it even without a solid click (and sitting on it over night), and I still like my answer, but looking forward to seeing what the real answer is!
I had a similar feeling about my answer. But it seems from a few comments here (mine, Hector's, maybe others) that there's a glitch somewhere. My answer wasn't initially counted as correct, though it was eventually fixed. If you think you have a reasonable answer, just email Matt and he'll happily fix it. Or PM me or someone else who's solved for confirmation.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Very glad to see I’m not just being super-dense this week. I clearly have what everyone else has off the bat and wasn’t expecting to have to do anything else. Guess I’ll get back to it.
Matt / Flamingbear
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have an answer, and while a case can be made that it fits the specs, it is so prosaic and unimaginative, that I will submit it only if I'm desperate.
Jay
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm so happy to read the other comments. I got the first step and thought the answer would fall out easily. I have an idea but don't feel that comfortable with it.... I'll mull over it a bit more. I'm not at all familiar with cable channels.
Barney

Post by Barney »

minimuggle wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:39 pm I'm so happy to read the other comments. I got the first step and thought the answer would fall out easily. I have an idea but don't feel that comfortable with it.... I'll mull over it a bit more. I'm not at all familiar with cable channels.
Me minus the idea
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I think I have it, but could argue a few other answers as well.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Still lost on this one.
I'm open to a group solve.
PM if you want...
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Wow! Week 1 with a strong click… but my particles were dispersed into the ether! I am genuinely shocked 😳 Oh well c’est la vie… my heart will go on lol
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Solved and submitted and beamed up.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

The problem with interpretive puzzles is that they are subject to multiple interpretations. I do not envy Matt this weekend.
Icdogg

Post by Icdogg »

OMG I figured it out while on the toilet
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Icdogg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:19 pm OMG I figured it out while on the toilet
Ah, the throne of knowledge.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Well it was a swing and a miss, at a week one no less. Interesting because my answer fits perfectly. Will be interesting to see answer on Tuesday.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Icdogg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:19 pm OMG I figured it out while on the toilet
WAAAAAAAY too much information
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

At this moment I feel like a weak one.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I seem to have fallen into a highly localized distortion of the space-time continuum and am experiencing a week six.

Don’t know why I’m so lost this week. I’ve picked it up several times and almost immediately put it back down again. Grid was easy enough, but I’m stumped on the meta clues.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Long time with no update. Submitted and answer and impatiently waiting!
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I finally got around to watching the Zoom chat with Matt, and I was inspired to finally join the MGWCC! I feel like maybe this wasn't the best week to join, though, since this Week 1 has been a real struggle. Like others I have the first step and nowhere else to go. Guess I'll keep staring!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved with a lot of help from my friend.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!