#687 - “Fifth-Fifth Friday”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

I bought a bottle of Neuriva on Monday in preparation for this puzzle. Let’s hope it works!
Verisimilitude

Post by Verisimilitude »

Well, that was an all nighter. But done and done.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Would anyone be willing to offer confirmation of whether or not I am on the right track?

EDIT: Received confirmation that I am NOT on the right path. Back to square one!
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

I actually dreamt about a meta puzzle last night (don't remember any details beyond that). Never did that before, and I suspect it's because I've been tortured trying to get a foothold on this one. A PM nudge of any kind would be most welcome.
runart

Post by runart »

I have an answer that kind of fits but I am way to chicken to submit and it really is just a guess. Would someone also PM me so I could run it by someone who has solved? And if it's not right (doubt it) let you know what I'm working with? Thanks in advance! P.S. I have dreamt about metas many times and sometimes it's productive because you're brain is insisting on working on it even when you're checked out!! Other times the solutions you dream of are hilarious.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Looks like a challenging one with 49 people with correct answers on the leaderboard and 12 wrong guesses. I don't even have enough to ask for a nudge.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:43 pm Looks like a challenging one with 49 people with correct answers on the leaderboard and 12 wrong guesses. I don't even have enough to ask for a nudge.
Same - - hard to tell someone what you've tried when you can't find anything to try. :-/
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

I've written three pages of ideas but haven't found a firm step one . . . Hoping a break and/or sleep helps
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I have a bunch of ideas that have led to nothing. If anyone is interested in putting ideas together, let me know.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I am in the same boat. Wrote out another grid because my first one became a mess.
Heidi
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved, but not without a nudge or two. I was making it more complicated than it is -- but that is not unusual for me!! Just happy to keep my streak going.
Cindy Heisler
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

I’m also in the same boat - lots of things looked at, nothing gelling.

I’m happy to compare thoughts with someone.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Has someone who has solved be willing to receive notes on all of my rabbit holes?

Also, anyone else tired of thinking about Rudy Giuliani so much?

EDIT: have received a bit of help (and I’m very appreciative) and will continue plugging away ☺️
KayW

Post by KayW »

:flying_saucer: :alien: :alien: :alien:
Beamed up with the 2am feeding. With much-appreciated help.

And I learned my lesson over on WSJ page this week. No wisecracks either way about how “well-known” this fifth is.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wow. What in the world?? Lots of ideas and a few observations — also willing to join a team-solve if someone wants to PM me.

Update: teamed up now. Still at sea though. Way out, prolly.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I don't know if it makes me feel better but the Monday 8 am update only shows 75 have solved the meta. I wonder if this is a record low.

I am still at square 1 even with some help from several. The good news is that my lawn is mowed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Heartbreak as I thought I had the best epiphany ever...but that's probably another rabbit hole, haha.

The difficulty of this might minimize the surge, but I think we'll still push over the all-time low since I started, which was the infamous MASS IN B MINOR at 115 back in November.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am Heartbreak as I thought I had the best epiphany ever...but that's probably another rabbit hole, haha.

The difficulty of this might minimize the surge, but I think we'll still push over the all-time low since I started, which was the infamous MASS IN B MINOR at 115 back in November.
Plus people generally somehow get smarter as the deadline nears.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:32 am
MikeyG wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am Heartbreak as I thought I had the best epiphany ever...but that's probably another rabbit hole, haha.

Maybe they get smarter by giving up and asking for nudges from solvers on the board. I do. The most accurate measure would be an honest count of solo solves.
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:43 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:32 am

Maybe they get smarter by giving up and asking for nudges from solvers on the board. I do. The most accurate measure would be an honest count of solo solves.
...kinda what I meant. I need a sarcasm font.