#687 - “Fifth-Fifth Friday”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 pm BTW I believe that the deadline for this one is 3pm Eastern tomorrow.
I wondered about that on Saturday and looked at everything Matt put out. I didn't see an extension.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow!

Can’t say I spent a ton of time on this one, but I have been looking at it since Friday. Lots of ideas, none getting anywhere. So I just printed another copy and filled it again from scratch, and thought about something I’d considered earlier, and there it was. Awaiting a board update, but I’m either beamed up or an absolutely amazing coincidence has put me in the same wormhole with all the other wrong answers.
ricky

Post by ricky »

I fought valiantly for hours to reel in two different big fish only to find they were not Right Whales but inedible Red Herrings.

The shore is far away and I am deeply sunburned.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Thanks to a gentle hint and a couple of shoves from Jay I finally solved it.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Well, after a couple of nudges, I am definitely where I need to be. Awaiting confirmation.

Edit - confirmed
Last edited by ky-mike on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

OK, I've been doing these for over a year and this is the first time I've been desperate enough to make an account here to post. I don't really know how this forum works but would absolutely love it if I could somehow bounce my ideas off someone to at least see if I'm going in the right direction or completely missing the mark. Thanks in advance! ...signed, a solver in need of a miracle
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 pm Thank goodness two of my co-solvers got this one today. I made no contribution whatsoever, so I'm not submitting, but I'm happy nonetheless because I can finally stop staring at the puzzle!
Yes, what Wendy said! There was quite a group trying to solve but I made absolutely no contribution except perhaps throwing a few more fish into the mix. I will not submit even as a group, but will try to get another streak started. You know it really is kind of liberating NOT to have a streak going because you have nothing to sacrifice.

Besides, if I had to look at that grid one more time to confirm my inadequacy I was going to explode. I mean I KNOW I can be thick, but to have a continual reminder of just how bad I really am at these, well that is unconscionable.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

NoFeetMcGee wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:45 pm OK, I've been doing these for over a year and this is the first time I've been desperate enough to make an account here to post. I don't really know how this forum works but would absolutely love it if I could somehow bounce my ideas off someone to at least see if I'm going in the right direction or completely missing the mark. Thanks in advance! ...signed, a solver in need of a miracle
Update: got a few small nudges and de-confirmations of crackpot theories, and I figured it out. Many thanks to this community for making my miracle happen!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

NoFeetMcGee wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:43 pm
NoFeetMcGee wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:45 pm OK, I've been doing these for over a year and this is the first time I've been desperate enough to make an account here to post. I don't really know how this forum works but would absolutely love it if I could somehow bounce my ideas off someone to at least see if I'm going in the right direction or completely missing the mark. Thanks in advance! ...signed, a solver in need of a miracle
Update: got a few small nudges and de-confirmations of crackpot theories, and I figured it out. Many thanks to this community for making my miracle happen!
Look at the “Come Aboard” index and learn all about the Muggles. Welcome!
Heidi
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Welcome aboard! This is a wonderful community. :D
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 pm BTW I believe that the deadline for this one is 3pm Eastern tomorrow.
I wondered about that on Saturday and looked at everything Matt put out. I didn't see an extension.
My guess is that he just forgot to mention it. I can’t remember ever having a delayed puzzle without a delayed deadline to match.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:31 pm
My guess is that he just forgot to mention it. I can’t remember ever having a delayed puzzle without a delayed deadline to match.
Just sent Matt an e-mail asking him about today's deadline. Will share any response I get.
AB943

Post by AB943 »

I sank a lot of hours into this one and I submitted the answer I was quite confident in, but the "Last updated" time has passed and I don't see my name under "This Week" or "Overall." I can't submit another answer, though. I don't think I've been stuck in limbo like this before -- is it common?

Edit: it appeared eventually. I did get it! Whoo
Last edited by AB943 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

AB943 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 am I sank a lot of hours into this one and I submitted the answer I was quite confident in, but the "Last updated" time has passed and I don't see my name under "This Week" or "Overall." I can't submit another answer, though. I don't think I've been stuck in limbo like this before -- is it common?
Sounds like an incorrect submission, but if you want to check that, DM me the answer you submitted and I can let you know if it's the right one (I'm on the board there in #100 place). A typo in your submission is possible too...

I don't remember that board being particularly glitchy, but I suppose it could happen.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

AB943 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 am I sank a lot of hours into this one and I submitted the answer I was quite confident in, but the "Last updated" time has passed and I don't see my name under "This Week" or "Overall." I can't submit another answer, though. I don't think I've been stuck in limbo like this before -- is it common?
Email your same answer to Matt on crosswordcontest@gmail.com and explain the issue. Matt will do right by you.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Per Matt Gaffney: THE DEADLINE REMAINS AS NOON ET.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Ah, well, looks like a DNF. The Muller meta should be arriving at the deadline, then, so probably for the best.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

So close. Couldn't get the last step in time. Disappointing.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ah, crud, I thought the deadline would be extended til 3. And I think I just got the answer, too, although the fact that I'm not totally certain is never a good sign.

EDIT: I was totally wrong.

As often the case with the MGWCCs I can't get, I am frustrated with the quantity of red herrings. The answer I had arrived at:

SOUR

BEER - bitter
PRETZELS - salty
FRUIT - sweet
ASIAGO - umami

Sour is the only flavor not accounted for, although beer and fruit can be sour in certain instances.
Last edited by ricky on Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I was stuck on the fact that the fifth fifth Friday of the year will be 12/31/2021. So I was forcing all kinds of round pegs into those square holes. Oh well, next Friday is a week one! 😊