#686 - "Peak Experience"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 pm I'm still working on it, grasping for air. I see most of what I think I need to see, but one item is throwing me off. Haven't a clue how to backsolve for that one item, either.

On the road the next couple of days, so hopefully post enlightenment will kick in (or some bourbon will clear my mind fog) tonight.
Riding in the car, after figuring out the item throwing me off, I caught my breath and saw the light.

Soon to be confirmed on shore.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solved with a nudge over the finish. Yes Will has made it to the big time, and he has acquired a sneaky streak in the process. Great puzzle though, must have taken some planning.

Woo Hoo, in at 260! another 100 and I'd have turned myself completely around!

Oh, and this is a question I ask myself often:
Hell in a handbasket.jpg
Last edited by DrTom on Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’ve submitted, awaiting confirmation. Seeing a fair number of wrong answers, I decided to sleep on this one. It still seems solid, so fingers crossed I didn’t miss something.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
Another solid Will offering
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Held all Metas until this afternoon. Very glad for a friendly Week 4 because I got nothing on the WSJ.

Congrats Will! A peak experience indeed.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Beam me up! What a fun puzzle!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Okay, time to ask for help.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I have a few specific questions on this regarding rabbit holes I'm in...my PMs are open if anyone would like to eliminate some forks in my road....

Edit: big thanks to my respondent; I took a fresh look at my notes and something popped out at me. Beamed at #361....
Last edited by MikeM000 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up.
I started solving these around four months ago.
A first week four for me.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Sorely regretting not completely vetting my incorrect answer to Will's excellent meta.

Mea maxima culpa
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beam me up, after a generous nudge. Working on limited time this week (due to visiting friends in Amherst ironically enough), but doubt I would have gotten it sans nudge even with full time. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up after having a pique experience when my solving partner again had to push me up to the launch pad.
I thought this was an excellent meta. Well done!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Excellent meta, even if I did need a nudge. Great to be doing a Will puzzle!!
Cindy Heisler
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Found the beam up location from the shore, and waiting for confirmation. A bit of a nudge required.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

glad to be beamed. awaiting confirmation but I think this is 100%.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Oh my goodness! I sent a nudge request and then immediately solved. (I hope). I was able to delete my request. So this happened for both the WSJ and MGCC within a half hour. I guess I should type up my requests sooner.

CONFIRMED. Beamed aboard overnight. When does Matt get to sleep between helping to take care of Ada and looking after the leaderboard?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Still awaiting enlightenment... not sure what my hang up is. It's just not clicking.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:18 pm Still awaiting enlightenment... not sure what my hang up is. It's just not clicking.
Post enlightenment strikes.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'm nowhere and feeling a little dismayed at the number of people who have already solved this Week 4.

I wouldn't say no to a nudge.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I really struggled with this one. With the help of Google, I was able to see Step 1 right away, but from there I ran into several brick walls and filled up lots of paper with notes. Finally this morning I was aimless doodling Step 1 info for the 19th time and suddenly the answer jumped out at me, and I am please to finally see my name on the board.

I've been on both sides of the "this is so easy!" versus "it bums me out when people say it's easy when I'm struggling so much" divide. For this one I'm solidly in the second camp in a way that makes me want to be more diplomatic those times when I am lucky enough to see it right away and get to post on page 1.