#685 - "Get Out Your Wite-Out"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

First on Page 2!

Solved and submitted.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Step 1 ... nothing ... nothing... nothing... wow!!!

BarbaraK to Enterprise, one to beam up.
burak

Post by burak »

I mean, the starting point is very obvious but I can't figure out what to do next. Maybe I have to really follow the instructions on this one.
Joe

Post by Joe »

See the first thing. Then *crickets*

I hope something emerges. Right now, just a lot of "wite"
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beam me up! I won't submit for a day, or two, but 100% certain of my answer.

Two amazing puzzles from Matt, this week! Neither were easy, but simple and clear when you see the path.

Congrats to earlier solvers (& WOW!) and best luck to those yet to solve!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Great puzzle Matt. Thanks to RPardoe for the redirection.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Lots of travel-getting better at doing these on iPhone. Beam me up! Nice one Matt

Stay well all
stmv

Post by stmv »

I just beamed myself up - not on the leaderboard yet [edit: on at #94], but it's 100% when you get it. I immediately saw step 1, but then tried about a hundred things for step 2, feeling like I was tantalizingly close, and in the end I actually was in the right area. [edit: After the discussion on the WSJCC board about parentheses, I'm a bit surprised that no one has bemoaned the parens in this puzzle yet. I was pleased that I correctly guessed their meaning from the start.]

Embarrassingly, this is the second time in the last few weeks when the answer came to me after a lot of struggle while I was, um, in the bathroom. It seems that some of my best thinking happens there....
Last edited by stmv on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:08 pm See the first thing. Then *crickets*

I hope something emerges. Right now, just a lot of "wite"
Ditto! I was so encouraged when I saw the obvious and thought "OK, I know what to do now!". I was apparently wrong. I feel I am just overlooking some simple step or instruction so I'll give it a rest and look again later. We are having a friend over for supper so it will probably be late, and I hope not too wine soaked, though who knows, that might help!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Been stuck at step one for a day. To quote the Temptations, ain't too proud to beg . . .
KayW

Post by KayW »

Gah. Me three. I just cleared my brain (all three brain cells) and am going to fill out a fresh grid...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up! Thanks to a fellow muggle for assuring me i was on the right path. It was a great "aha" moment for me.
Cindy Heisler
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I'm stuck too. I'll keep staring ...
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

Post-enlightenment strikes again!

Refilling the grid helped me see ... something. Wowza what a brilliant meta. I wonder if this was that "perfect meta" idea Matt mentioned in the zoom discussion?

I'm holding off on submitting to get a Wednesday solve and a buzzer beater in one swell foop, but this one is 100%.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Verisimilitude

Post by Verisimilitude »

Done and done.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:56 pm I'm holding off on submitting to get a Wednesday solve and a buzzer beater in one swell foop, but this one is 100%.
Good luck, and DON'T FORGET!

(I think there should be an achievement for the LAST submission as well as the first. Imagine the fun of trying to get that one.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Frustratingly sniffing around the right track all evening but never finding the warren (or transporter room or feline release mechanism or couch extricater). I had finally gotten VERY near it when a kindly Muggle gave me a slight nudge of confirmation. A few more corrections (simply because I had some misfills and misinterpretations) and I was/am hopefully awaiting the teleportation beam. This week-ends were very challenging and very different from anything I have seen before. I know this is becoming a standard post of mine, but HOW DOES HE DO THAT every week???? Heck I'm out of mechanisms after simple replacements!

EDIT: HOORAY #124 Late to the party but not the last guest in the door.

Oh, and this explains why I am sometimes so lost on these even when I probably have the right ideas:
Escher GPS.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Ok, beamed up after a "Goldilocks" nudge (not too hot . . . not too cold . . ). Brilliant, again. Matt of course.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up.
Amazing construction!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done, with a little course correction. Thank you!