#684 - "Seeing Double"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beam me up! Like others have said, grid was challenging—but only because I’m 20A! 😂
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Fought my way through the grid as I am on another planet from the constructor. Even when I had an answer I had to google it to find out what it meant.

Now on to the meta
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:49 pm Fought my way through the grid as I am on another planet from the constructor. Even when I had an answer I had to google it to find out what it meant.

Now on to the meta
Got the meta with ease - awaiting confirmation
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I've transported a cutesy take on the answer, hopefully Matt understands and approves my beaming up.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:41 pm Beam me up! Like others have said, grid was challenging—but only because I’m 20A! 😂
so ... well aged?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:49 pm Fought my way through the grid as I am on another planet from the constructor. Even when I had an answer I had to google it to find out what it meant.

Now on to the meta
Hey @Bob cruise director , what planet is that in your avatar? Or is it the moon? What is the string of dots? Cabana Boy wants to know. He likes you a lot and he is naturally curious.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Meg wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Now on to the meta
Hey @Bob cruise director , what planet is that in your avatar? Or is it the moon? What is the string of dots? Cabana Boy wants to know. He likes you a lot and he is naturally curious.
Not to answer for @Bob cruise director (though I will :)), but I believe that is a time lapse of the International Space Station traversing the Sun. Very cool photograph!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Now on to the meta
That is the International Space Station crossing in front of the sun. It crosses in under a second. The two dots in the lower left are sun spots.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BrianMac wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Now on to the meta
Not to answer for @Bob cruise director (though I will :)), but I believe that is a time lapse of the International Space Station traversing the Sun. Very cool photograph!
Absolutely correct but since the transit takes less than a second, I take a movie at 50 frames/second and clip out frames, overlay them in Photoshop and voila
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I am determined to work the word "nutshelling" into my conversation this week. I was ready to enter "I'M CUT" as in "the knife blade slipped and sliced my finger and now there's blood all over this walnut!"
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Beam me up
Joe

Post by Joe »

That took longer than I'd care to admit. Yeesh! But I am safely beamed up.

Now back to the WSJ. Still waiting for the clouds to part.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Beam me up
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Beamed up. 🚀
-Tamara
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Beam me up. Fun and clever puzzle but agree that several
of the answers were about more like blanco than repesado tequila. Grid: 30 minutes. Meta: 2 minutes.
Cuse

Post by Cuse »

Beam me up!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Now on to the meta
I had an answer that even when I googled it, I still couldn’t figure out what it meant. Took some contortions to finally have it make sense.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Checking in to say I’m beamed up! Late start today.
pamster

Post by pamster »

Got it. The meta felt hard for a week 2 until I saw it, then it didn’t. 😊
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

If it weren’t for crossword puzzles by younger constructors, I might not know ANYTHING about contemporary culture.